Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2008, 07:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
NT 30 Motor/Fan Noisy

There is an intermittant noise in my furnace associated with the fan and/or blower. I'm not sure what it is but it sounds like a bad bearing or the squirrel cage is loose.
1. After removing the furnace what is involved in getting at the blower and motor?
2. Are motor/ blower parts individually replaceable or is this a sealed unit?
3. Are there lubrication points?
4. Any other suggestions?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I had to replace one. The local RV store had the motor and the only special tool required was a very long Allen wrench to reach the set screw on the fan through the exhaust port on the fan. These motors regularly go bad. Last time I looked a new motor was worth about $75. It takes about an hour to get it all out and back together. Surpisingly there are not lubrication points and the bearings are impregnated bronze which dries out.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
How old is the furnace? If you still have the manual/installation instructions, there is an "exploded" view of the furnace that illustrates the location of the motor. We may have this page in our manual that we could scan & send to you as we have a mid 70's Suburban.

At least with the newer units, these motors seem to have a planned obsolescence of 10-12 years, as we've had to replace 2 in 2 different furnaces in the last 3 years. The motors are not serviceable.

From our experience, the furnace will continue to run with intermittent squeals. When the motor finally seizes, no more heat (which usually happens in the middle of the night!)
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight View Post
How old is the furnace? If you still have the manual/installation instructions, there is an "exploded" view of the furnace that illustrates the location of the motor. We may have this page in our manual that we could scan & send to you as we have a mid 70's Suburban.

At least with the newer units, these motors seem to have a planned obsolescence of 10-12 years, as we've had to replace 2 in 2 different furnaces in the last 3 years. The motors are not serviceable.

From our experience, the furnace will continue to run with intermittent squeals. When the motor finally seizes, no more heat (which usually happens in the middle of the night!)
I bought the furnace used but was told it was a year old. Now I doubt it. I think I have the manual/instructions. Yup it still works amidst the squeals but this past weekend there was a definite shriek. I am wondering if I can prevent serious damage by tightening or adjusting something, or if I should jast wait for it (and me) to freeze up.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
My 71 safari furnace noise was kind of like a vibrating--I was told that I should look for a mud dauber nest built on one of the fanblades--jim
jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Replace the furnace; I know these things.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote