Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2017, 06:28 AM   #21
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Me too. Rear AC died some time ago but I just got around to having it looked at since the front unit was fine. So far they have replaced the unit on top, still didn't work, replace a senser, still not working properly and have now ordered a new "board" (I have no idea what that means) They tech was able to get the rear AC to run and it does blow serious cold air but it just never stops no matter what I have the temp set at so I use the rear AC during the day to give the front unit a break and turn off the rear AC unit at night otherwise it would be 65 or colder in here. Besides, there rear AC seems much louder than the front one so sleeping with that noise all night is rough.
I hope to get the rear AC working properly this week. So far it hasn't cost me anything but a service call because the RV repair people that I use come to me. I have been told that all parts and labor are covered by my warranty so it is just an inconvenience for me nothing more.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyet View Post
My rear AC unit does not come on at all. Even with the override switch. We were on a 30 amp for our testing evening and completely missed testing that unit. It's a 2018. Calling the shop today
Have you tried the Dometic thermostat hard re-boot procedure described in the manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
I would also do a hard reboot of your stat, which the manual for you new AC should describe. This may be a thermostat problem IMO.

"Dometic Stat reboot" search results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dome...=airforums.com
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Well took the AS to Colonial today they will need to do a diagnostic and depending on the outcome either fix or replace it. I just need it back before our next trip to New England the fifth of September.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
latest update It looks like they have to replace the unit as the AC is condenser is not working.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #25
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Man ... dometic need to up their game regarding manufacturing, materials/parts suppliers and quality assurance.

All these returns cost them a fortune, reduce margins and increase product cost to the consumer.

Glad you're getting a new unit but as with my situation would have been better for all parties (end consumer, dealer, AS and Dometic) not to have had any issues in the first place.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:15 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I agree. One would think the quality control would be much much better. Fortunately Colonial gives great service but is dependent on the manufacturer to produce a quality product.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Our new AC unit has been and installed by Colonial. I am just hoping the third time is a charm; will test it out when I bring it back on Monday.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You might consider spending the night in their parking lot, and running the new A/C almost non-stop IMO.

They have hookups for just this purpose, for new units at least, so with some advance notice they might be able to accommodate you.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:42 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Just an update. I have had my AS back for a week and the new AC unit is working great. Will test it more when we are on the Cape the next two weeks.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #30

Schwenksville , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Just an update. I have had my AS back for a week and the new AC unit is working great. Will test it more when we are on the Cape the next two weeks.

Hi Linny here.
We purchased our AS at Colonial also. We had an AC replaced for bedroom also back in June. Both worked great twice on a trip.

Went to NC and only the rear works and the older one doesn't.
Thinking it could be possibly the thermostat????

Any comments. Taking it for service is out.
ldhirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I am clearly no expert and was very happy mine was under warranty. That said i am went through the following steps before I took mine back to be fixed. I know some are intuitive and you probably already did them. First does it turn on and the fan works. Then check to see if the heat pump works. If the heat pump does not work along with the AC not working then I would say the unit is bad. It is unfortunate but it appears that these units are now throw away units and are fixed only by replacement. Hopefully someone can add more insight
Old 08-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Angry 2018 30’ Classic

We’re currently camping - first night out - in 90 heat. Got set up and no AC. It worked in mid June on that trip. Now nothing. Left to get a pizza, came back, the trailer was 94. Shut everything off and opened up. After a bit turned them back on and the rear works but not the front. Suggestions? Dealer checked everything out in May and said they were working. Of course they put a new Smart Fan in too and guess what!?!
HELP!
Old 08-04-2018, 09:09 PM   #33
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKovalchik View Post
We’re currently camping - first night out - in 90 heat. Got set up and no AC. It worked in mid June on that trip. Now nothing. Left to get a pizza, came back, the trailer was 94. Shut everything off and opened up. After a bit turned them back on and the rear works but not the front. Suggestions? Dealer checked everything out in May and said they were working. Of course they put a new Smart Fan in too and guess what!?!

HELP!

Need more info. Does the unit come on at all? Are there any errors on the CCC panel? Is the 20A breaker on? Does the fan come on? Can you hear the compressor “thunk” when it comes on about s minute after the fan starts?

If the fan comes on, you can hear the compressor “thunk” a minute after the fan starts, and the unit blows air but it is not cold after 2 minutes then unit probably lost its Freon via a leak and needs to be replaced.

If you don’t hear the compressor come on then it may simply be a bad $20 start capacitor.

Need more info to diagnose.......
Old 08-05-2018, 06:15 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
They eventually started working after we shut them off waited well over an hour then turned them back on. What’s the CCC? Sorry, new to Airstreaming. For what it’s worth we have that dumb Fire Fly. The back ALWAYS get ways below the set temp. Dealer said it was due to where the temp sensor was placed. I think they’re nuts.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:42 AM   #35
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Ccc is the comfort control center. You don’t have on if you have a fire fly.

Dealer is correct about temperate getting below where it’s set. The reverse can happen as well. It is about where the sensor is placed. Common issue.

Glad it’s working again.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Centerville , Massachusetts
Send a message via ICQ to Solus
2017 23' Serenity A/C warranty replacement

My A/C died a sudden death and Dometic will replace it under warranty.
Since Dometic produces several lines of A/C units, I wonder if I could/should upgrade my Penguin 2 to a heavier duty unit?
Is there a "better" Dometic A/C that can be dropped in without modifications?

Thanks for the assist.
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote