Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2021, 12:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I’ve survived mid 20s in Florida overnite
Keep the trailer warm and open all cupboard doors the let the heat get to closed spaces
Agree ... winterize!!
The hassle of repairs and insurance claim is simply not worth taking a chance
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:14 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhartzell View Post
Have the dealer do the winterization while you watch. This way you will know where the valves are and will know it is done right.
Hi

If you take pictures / notes of which valves are involved *and* which positions they are in (both normal and winterize), you will be *far* less confused when you get involved in this down the road .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
My rule is this.

If I'm wondering if I should winterize.....

I winterize.
Wise rule. No point of risking it.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:19 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Point , Oregon
Full time in a Flying Cloud. You're totally fine if you keep the inside around 60 degrees or higher. Just disconnect the water hose outside at night and use your stored water only.

I made a quick video about what I do (more info in the video notes):
A.S. Beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:32 AM   #25

Helena , Montana
Montana springs are still winter

Hey we live in Helena and just got back from a trip to Sedona with our '61 Avion. We re-winterized at home - did it ourselves for the first time - and happy we did as snow fell the same night. Great Vintage Trailer work done in Townsend if you ever need help. GT Services Vintage Trailer Works.
Willow406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:14 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hardinsburg , Indiana
Sub-freezing nights

One more suggestion, as we often camp during our deer season, would be to open the lower cabinet doors on the galley and bathroom sink area as well as wherever the water pump/shower supply lines run. If you use the furnace, also suggest cracking the upper vents to reduce condensation. We’ve had good results with just 2 small electric 1500 watt heaters and leaving cabinet doors open
Hyo Slvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:17 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R. View Post
Do you think if I run the furnace at night that I'll be okay and not have to worry about pipes freezing?

I don't know your configuration, but if you don't have an enclosed belly an heated tanks, I would not recommend you attempt to go out in those forecast conditions. The furnace may keep your lines from freezing internally, but if you plan to use your tanks without heating pads, you're likely in for a surprise.
RussRamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
It is a really good idea to 'watch and learn' when they winterize for you. It's a lot of information to take in. Like others have suggested, a video will really help down the road.

For an occasional cold night, I have had my 16'er down to 16° with the furnace set at 50° for the night without any issues. Keep in mind though, the heater will draw down the batteries pretty fast if you are not connected to power, and you need to keep an eye on your propane tanks.

And BTW, congratulations on the new Caravel! That is a great looking model. Have fun!

Stan
Salt Lake City
Old 04-21-2021, 02:25 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

tulsa , Oklahoma
And, turn the water heater on!
Beavers is offline   Reply With Quote