Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2021, 12:08 AM   #1

1974 Argosy 24
Breckenridge , CO
New Argosy owner... doing systems checks

Hi all, i just recently purchased my first travel trailer, a 1974 Argosy 24. Over all it's in great shape aside from being a little dated and a crap exterior DIY paint job.

Going through and checking different systems and am stumped on forced air furnace. I follow the instruction in the manual and on the unit and get the pilot to light and stay... great there is gas! Then i go crank up the thermostat and i don't hear the blower...ugh. I would assume you can audibly hear the blower turn on correct?

So my questions...

Does the furnace need time to heat up or "prime" so to speak, or should that blower kick on right away when it gets signal from the tstat?

If the answer is the blower should kick on right away when it get's signal what is my next step? I'm thinking of jumping the tstat to rule that out first, but then what...?
Jreng87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

It may be helpful to identify the brand and model of your furnace. Someone with experience with that particular unit may have better answers.

Also, if it turns out that it is the original furnace, you may be better off stopping all troubleshooting efforts, and just replacing it. 50 year old furnaces tend to burn/rust through on the interior, and spew carbon monoxide into the cabin. It would suck to wake up dead.

Another thing that is very handy to have is the owner's manual and service manual for your year of trailer. If you can't find one for the Argosy, then the Airstream one should get you pretty close.

good luck!
Belegedhel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Welcome to the Forums!

It may be helpful to identify the brand and model of your furnace. Someone with experience with that particular unit may have better answers.

Also, if it turns out that it is the original furnace, you may be better off stopping all troubleshooting efforts, and just replacing it. 50 year old furnaces tend to burn/rust through on the interior, and spew carbon monoxide into the cabin. It would suck to wake up dead.

Another thing that is very handy to have is the owner's manual and service manual for your year of trailer. If you can't find one for the Argosy, then the Airstream one should get you pretty close.

good luck!
X2. If keeping old furnace you need to check combustion chamber like your families lives depend on it, because they do.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:19 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Hello and welcome to the forums.... these early furnaces are very simple... power, ground and the thermostat circuit. Thermostat "call" should kick the fan whether or not the gas is on. Pilot will light and burn with no electrical power but fan needs to run(thermostat "on") to close the "sail" switch to allow gas to flow to main burner. Yes, be very careful with rusted heat exchanger. Visual inspection is really not enough, I've tested a couple of mine with an automotive CO machine, used in the old days to sniff auto exhaust and adjust fuel mixtures (more complicated than that very simplistic example). I think all off the switches are easily bypassed. I often take the furnaces and other appliances out and run them on the bench.
Good luck, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:44 PM   #5

1974 Argosy 24
Breckenridge , CO
Thanks for the replies!

Love the idea of just replacing it if there is any question to it.

Any recommendations? I'm sure plenty of answer but just to get started on it.
Jreng87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Definitely replace that death trap .

Check vintagetrailer supply.com search furnace . You’ll need a NT 30 furnace .

Check out my build there is a wealth of information there and info on the deadly furnace .
Just click the link in my signature.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
You will find that to get a replacement furnace with about the same heat output, with roughly the same geometry, that will fit in the same space as your current one, you won't have too tough a decision. There are only a couple of well known brands. Also check outofdoorsmart.com and PPLRV.com.

good luck!
Belegedhel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
You have a 50 year old camper with a 50 year old furnace. Unless the furnace has never been used and never exposed to humidity then I would suggest replacing it with a new Suburban NT30SP Furnace this will be a direct replacement. Of course you can pull the unit out and order new part but in the end I would be willing to bet if you put the unit on a bench take off the cover and put a flash light in the air intake or exhaust port then turn off the lights you will see multiple pin holes in the combustion chamber. It is rather pretty.
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote