Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
2004 25' International CCD
Moab , Utah
New AC install advice

I have a 1978 29' Ambassador that has the original AC unit. The fan blows, but there is no cold air.
Since it's about 30 years old I feel like installing a new AC is a better idea than trying to revive the original. What I would some help with is choosing a brand/model and what parts/adapters I might need.
Will a Carrier just drop into place without any additional cutting?
Someone told me that I need an adapted plate from Airstream. or, is this just BS or is it something I can craft with some aluminum plating?
This RV stuff is all new potatoes to me, so any info would be helpful.
sound-silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome!

Welcome to the world of RV and Airstreams..

ALL new members should take time to practice and develop "Search" skills using tab above, to find hundreds or thousands of messages already on the system covering questions you have..

If you clicked and typed in "air conditioner replace" or maybe added carrier, you'd find stories, pictures, etc...

To be kind, the general rule is all of them fit a 14" square opening in the roof. Airstream used a plastic tray with a drain fitting to a tube down the side of the trailer between inner and outer skin to handle condensate water. Not all brands of A/C's will fit this tray, as it was intended for Dometic. The Carrier's use a "slinger" system to spray condensate onto warm coils to prevent dripping water and enhance cooling. Others may weigh in with recent experience and do-it-yourself experience..

Depending on climate, some 13.5K BTU units might not keep larger trailer cool enough, and 15K BTU might be better option.. You also have choice to include electric heating rod to spare furnace on cool nights, though furnace should be used if temsp below freezing, since furnace warms "basement" under floor and keeps plumbing and tanks from freezing...

Cheers!

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I believe the only AC that uses a pan is the Dometic Penguin. It makes a really nice installation if you don't want condensate dripping down the side.

I think there is a homebuilt modification that works on the Carrier units. Don't know how well it works.

I know the Penguin with the factory pan works really good!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote