Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2003, 09:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
New a/c shroud!!

Finally got around to getting the shroud replaced on my Overlander. Got it from Inland and it is of pretty decent quality. I did have to trim it a little to get it to fit but all in all it went smoothly, much better than my door gasket debacle! I painted it at the house with some Dupont Nason acrylic auto paint so if you see any runs just keep it to yourself!! Her's a pic.

Chas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0081.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1916  
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 10:20 AM   #2
pap

Looks nice Chas. But why didn't you paint it Aluminum?
Was it just the wrong color before or just primed?
And for 225 bucks plus did you consider just getting another A/C

That is an old Armstrong unit isn't it?
pap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 10:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Thanks pap,

Don't remind me again, I paid $265 for it, just so happens they went on sale after I bought mine, just my luck. I went with white as that is the color they originally came. I am sort of in love with the old Armstrong, it has the wall T-stat and actually has a lower profile than any others. Cools great and since I am a licensed a/c guy I can do about anything to keep it going. The only thing that concerns me is current draw, it has a dinosaur compressor and separate condenser and evaporator fan motors so I will need to keep an eye on the quality of power I get when hooking up.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:01 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Question have you ever?

chas

have you ever considered converting the ac to modern components and refrigerant?

would it be even possible or economical?

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
ac motor?

Chas,
Do you know if someone sells the blower motor? My condensor runs, but the fan does not blow (or move for that matter). I was thinking of replacing the whole thing, but if I could find a source for the motor, I think I'd be better off.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Universal blower motors are available from W. W. Grainger.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Lookin Kewl

Chas
Your top gonna "Shine~! at the next Rally..lol

Can't wait to see it installed..

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:45 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Chas,

The shroud looks great!

Since you opened the door I am going to ask an AC related question. When the compressor on our Armstrong starts the vibration at start is loud. As the compressor runs thru the first 45-90 seconds the loud sound fades, the compressor continues to run, and then it sound like every other RV AC I have had. Is this normal.?
It blows cold and other than needing to be cleaned I have not done anything to it since I took delivery.TIA
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 01:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Bret.

That starting operation is normal.

The AC shrouds are fiberglass, not plastic. They should last a long long time. The out of the box exterior finish is white gel-coat.
There are 4 different shrouds that Airstream used with the Armstrong units. We had molds created for all of them.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Old 04-07-2003, 03:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Marc;

The motor failing to start could be a bad start capacitor.
Mine is down for the capacitor and with summer upon us I will have to find and install a new capacitor.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 05:10 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
2004 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Memphis , Tennessee
armstrong a/c's

Now the door is open on vintage air conditioners, I have a question. My '73 Argosy has an old a/c that I plan to replace. Primarly because the shroud is shot. My problem is; it is not an Armstrong, but an Evans. Does anyone have any idea of this history.
WBCCI #5167
2004 Land Yacht XL396
2003 25' Classic
2005 GMC Sierra
fdx753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:49 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandAndy
The AC shrouds are fiberglass, not plastic. They should last a long long time. The out of the box exterior finish is white gel-coat.
There are 4 different shrouds that Airstream used with the Armstrong units. We had molds created for all of them.
Couple of questions for you Andy;

From your above it sounds like the original shrouds were not furnished by Armstrong, but ordered or made especially for Airstream from some other vendor. Is that correct?

Did other RV brands use the Armstrong units? If so what did they do for shrouds?

Regarding your Inland #69831 shroud, it is shown on your website with no aluminum extruded "belt rail". Nor any of the opening grills.
Do these items come with it or not?

In the above picture Chas shows a shroud (Inland #69826) he bought from you, and later painted. It shows an aluminum "belt rail". Does that model come with the extrusion?

Thanks in advance.
roadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Brian.

Drain pans are the "question," unless you don't mind the drain water running down the sides of the trailer.

Also, make sure what ever AC unit you decide to use, that it is designed for RV use, which takes into considerator, being bounced around. Household units are not designed to be treated roughly, as the highways so treat RV's.

Rodeo.

Armstrong made the AC's to Airstream specs. Airstream had molds made for the shrouds, and they made them in-house.

I am not aware of any company other than Airstream, that used the Armstong products.

The screening and moldings are transfered from the old shroud to the new.

If the shroud disappeared during transit, and its whereabouts are unknown, the screening is available locally. We can provided the insert molding, if needed, at additional cost.

Moldings were used to hold the two halves together, part numbers 69826 and 69831. They really servered no other purpose.

Andy
Old 07-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #14

1976 27' Overlander
Meeker , Oklahoma
Evan's A/C shroud:
My 1976 Overlander also has an Evan's 13,500 BTU air conditioner that needs a new shroud. Does anyone know where I can get a shroud for this unit? I know it didn't come out with this unit and I would change it out but it works great so, I would rather find a replacement shroud.

Dale
sailnmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Take a look at 'AC crunched' thread...

Hi Dale,

Just reading through the many posts and if you take a look at this thread - AC crunched, started by loudruff, you will see a few web sites to visit for your A/C shroud.

Good Luck!
Chris
newsgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Here's one of Inland's fiberglass shrouds, ready to be installed....

I didn't use the original beltline trim, mostly because it looks like hammered dookie. This is Chinese peel and stick automotive trim, which I expect to remain attached for several more minutes; I'll probably end up attaching it permanently with polished stainless screws.

It's extremely imporant to duplicate the condenser air anti-recycle baffles, for which I used aluminum sheet, cut to size and epoxied/riveted in.

The two halves are riveted and epoxied together. It's not all that big a deal, because the top half does hold the bottom half down.

I didn't use the original screens for two reasons: First, they looked even worse than the belt trim, and second, those screens are pretty restrictive to airflow. The grilles are epoxied into the shell.

I do win the prize for "Most Creative Use of a Refrigerator Shelf!"

The paint is boat topside paint. I was looking for something with at least a little gloss, that would go over fiberglass, and that would hold up outside in Arizona. The stuff is a real biscuit to work with; an HVLP spray gun ended up working the best.

The upside is that it will obviously last a heck of a lot long then the original; the downside is that it's several pounds heavier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160110_184159[1].jpg
Views:	141
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	255701   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160110_184240[1].jpg
Views:	137
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	255702  

Name:	20160114_120137[1].jpg
Views:	180
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	255703  
Old 01-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
And the denouement....

I also found a crack in the compressor suction line, so I had to cut that out and replace it, so I ended up pumping it down and recharging it. Then of course, the Schraeder valve decided to leak. Sigh.

But it does look good! Or at least better....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160116_143306.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	255837  
Old 01-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Great repair job! I think it's usually better to fix than replace because older stuff frequently has more materials in it's construction and a lot of times it can take less time to fix than replace with something that doesn't fit quite the same. I'd bet that the solder you used will hold fine. Something interesting is that Armstrong changed the path of the condenser air flow. On my 1973 unit the air comes in the rear grill and blows out the top. Unfortunately this lets pine needles and leaves collect inside the unit and is a pain to clean out as well as interfering with using a tarp or shade cloth over the top of the trailer. It's nice to see that they corrected this shortcoming on the later models. Leland
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
I didn't use the original beltline trim, mostly because it looks like hammered dookie. This is Chinese peel and stick automotive trim, which I expect to remain attached for several more minutes; I'll probably end up attaching it permanently with polished stainless screws.

It's extremely imporant to duplicate the condenser air anti-recycle baffles, for which I used aluminum sheet, cut to size and epoxied/riveted in.

The two halves are riveted and epoxied together. It's not all that big a deal, because the top half does hold the bottom half down.

I didn't use the original screens for two reasons: First, they looked even worse than the belt trim, and second, those screens are pretty restrictive to airflow. The grilles are epoxied into the shell.

I do win the prize for "Most Creative Use of a Refrigerator Shelf!"

The paint is boat topside paint. I was looking for something with at least a little gloss, that would go over fiberglass, and that would hold up outside in Arizona. The stuff is a real biscuit to work with; an HVLP spray gun ended up working the best.

The upside is that it will obviously last a heck of a lot long then the original; the downside is that it's several pounds heavier.
It's heavier, because it's also thicker.

But, like many things, such as older folks, we get heavier in time too.

The screening is not necessary, as it's only purpose basically was to keep birds out from making a nest within the shroud. Maybe a little cosmetic too.

Andy