Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Port Angeles , Washington
New 23D AC stops cooling and blows white mist into trailer??

How disappointing. Picked up our new FC 23 D on Saturday and went camping for a week to check out all systems and enjoy our shiny new toy. 3rd night into our stay the AC unit made a bad noise, starting blowing hot air and a white mist (not smoke) filled the trailer in seconds. Frightening at first , but my guess is it was a coolant leak??
Let it sit overnight, then tried restarting. Fan blows fine, but no cooling.
Camping trip over 3 days early since must have AC in 100 degree Calif weather.
Has this happened to anyone---white mist and no cooling? Serious issue? Warranty will cover it, but gosh, having our first camp out in our first AS cut short by an immediate equipment failure is disappointing--- not to mention 200 hundred miles towing to dealer for repairs.
ASDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:25 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Sorry for your bad first Airstream experience. What you are describing is definitely serious. It sounds like the compressor may have failed, or more likely, the system has developed a catastrophic coolant leak. Either way, the air conditioner is probably going to have to be replaced.

We had a 2012 23FB that had a compressor failure. The Air Conditioner had to be replaced. At the time it was about a year old.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Thanks Brian. I knew it wasn't a minor issue. Well, I guess I know what I'm doing on Saturday....(take it back to dealer and leave it). I called dealer today and they are ready to have me bring it back. A new unit sounds better than them patching an already problem unit. Let's see what they decide to do.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am pretty sure you had a massive cooling leak. Fortunately the refrigerant is not toxic so you don't need to worry about that at least. It dissipates quickly too.

The unit will need to be replaced, for sure.

Unfortunately it happens now and then, and also unfortunately the quality of the AC units that are available to any manufacturer, including Airstream, has gone down in recent years, resulting in this kind of thing. Many units are off shore made, and built down to a price, not up to a quality level. They just are not lasting very well.

I have a friend with a 15,000 btuh ducted AC in his brand new 2016 and it is not cooling worth a damn. I asked him to measure the current draw, and he reported back a number which is half what it should be. That is why it is not cooling. So, when he gets home from his current trip, he, like you, has a dealer trip to make.

Again, Airstream is not really to blame here either. It seems that the overall quality of all RV AC units has decreased. Airstream can't install a good one if they can't buy a good one.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:16 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I installed a new one on our AS. Before I did, I hooked it up to power and "ran" it for two solid days. I did not want to cut a new roof hole only to have the unit fail to work.

When dealer installs new, have them run it for a couple days. Before you take delivery.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:34 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
No blame toward Airstream. My Air forum readings have taught me Dometic quality not what it used to be. Inconvenient, but I trust dealer will take care of it and make it right. Still, not the adventure we had in mind for our first nights in our new Flying Cloud. This does now make me wary of the Dometic frige, etc. I now own.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
While quality control may have diminished for a lot of what we buy, not just AS, the suggestion of running the A/C for 24 or more hours can eliminate many issues as major failures often occur early in the life of a unit.
Both my units got a week long test at the International in Farmington with the weather being a bit warm, and function well.

Ms. Tommie Lauer
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
A lot of people will 'camp' in the driveway for several days with a new RV. Exercising all the systems helps to find flaws before setting out.

Sorry to hear you had to cut your first trip short.

But you must be excited to have a brand new Airstream!
Bill Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Same thing with our, then new, 2012 30 FC. One a/c (the 13,500) failed at 6 hours of use. The 2nd, main cabin, failed at 20 hours. Both Dometics were 2011 models and known for problems. Dealer dented the upper rear area replacing one. Denied the damage and is still there.
Take good photos of trailer before you let the guys start working on the roof.

(The replacement ACs have been fine)
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote