Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
When I remove the thermostat from the wall there is a lot of excess data cable.
The thermostat can rest in the dinette seat with the data cable still attached.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
We have the same problem with our two AC system. 2015 27FB. We adjust the rear AC without regard to the detected temperature reading until the rear area is comfortable.
RPVEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
[Dometic zone 2 sensor

The zone two sensor is still on the wall behind the TV in 2018 models. Our flying cloud 30 was reading very erratically from 75-90 degrees. As others stated, the unit would NEVER turn off. We came back to the coach at 62 degrees several times. The problem was that the sensor was actually IN the wall behind the white cage cover with just the tip protruding into the cage. That wall is heated up by the refrigerator. There is a lot of extra cable which allows you to pull the sensor out of the wall once you remove the cover. Right now, it is draped 4 or 5 inches hanging over the TV and working perfectly as verified by an separate thermometer with the AC cycling on and off as it should maintaining temperature. My plan is to mount it in a slightly larger white plastic “cage” somewhere on that wall that allows the sensor better access to read temp - maybe on wall underneath the TV. Haven’t got that far yet. Hope this helps.
SasquatchAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Thumbs down

On my 2015 Flying Cloud 30 both AC units use the thermostat temperature reading in the bedroom for information. The setup menu indicated no sensor attached to zone 2. So, zone 1 and 2 use the same bedroom temperature sensor. Someone at Airstream must have wired it wrong. I would love to see what is attached to the AC units themselves, since this is how the wiring logic works. Of course, my dealer says all is well. What a mess!
2012 GMC Denali HD Duramax
Pro Pride hitch
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:24 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
terre haute , Indiana
There is a lot of extra cord on the rear sensor. You can also pull out about a foot of cord and then zip tie it to the TV bracket. I got so fed up with the problem that I unplugged the external sensor. As a result both units read from the thermostat. So far that has worked out great. If we are gone for the day it doesn’t mater much. If we are in the unit in the rear we can adjust the temperature to our liking. At night if we are running the AC we switch it to the rear unit and it reads from the thermostat in the bedroom. Works perfectly In defense of Airstream there really isn’t anyway to comply with Dometic installation instructions.
jcwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Please explain the 'rear sensor'.
Pro Pride hitch
Old 07-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Buy a good fan.

So disappointed in Airstream. I’ve had this thermostat problem since buying our 27 ft Serenity in 2013 and it looks like AS is still cranking out units with the same issue. We eventually bought a small (but powerful) fan. Keeping the air temperature relatively constant throughout the entire trailer seems to help (but not solve) the problem.
Krusty Buns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:44 AM   #28
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
On my 2015 Flying Cloud 30 both AC units use the thermostat temperature reading in the bedroom for information. The setup menu indicated no sensor attached to zone 2. So, zone 1 and 2 use the same bedroom temperature sensor. Someone at Airstream must have wired it wrong. I would love to see what is attached to the AC units themselves, since this is how the wiring logic works. Of course, my dealer says all is well. What a mess!
Hi rp709,

If you need assistance, please feel free to reach out to our Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:15 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
The DW likes it cold at night. At home, maybe 72 or even 71. But our front and rear ACs have been set on 73 at night and suffice it to say, they work. Have gotten up to temps of 63 twice. The front AC was still running but the rear had stopped. Finally decided to investigate the thermostat issue.

Each of the 2 'cages', one next to the refrig and the other next to the Polk/CZone stuff in the rear bedroom have 2 sensors in them. One is a white wire with a 1 in black sleeve and a red dot at the end. The other is a smaller 'cage' with a snap on 'hat'. If you snap off the hat, there is a second red dot. The red dot is the sensor.

The black wire going to the cage is for the Alde. The white wire is for the CZone/AC. Tons of wire on the one next to the refrig, so I pulled them out and put the sensors in the refrig. That's how I know which is which. The white wire takes a bit longer to register temp changes.

Pulled both sets of sensors out of the wall and pulled the CZone and Alde controls out of the wall (4 screws are behind the snap off plastic face bezels). It is HOT in the area behind them. Partly refrig proximity, partly it is 100 deg outside today. No matter what temp you set the thermostat to, it is never going to register the true inside air temp, but some mixture of outside/inside and regrig exhaust temp maybe. In my case, the front never registered below 83.

Tried all sorts of foam, insulation around the sensor area but finally decided to just leave them dangling for a while. Now, instead of the front being at least 10 deg warmer than the true temp, they all register the same. Alde and CZone, front and rear. Problem partly solved.

At some point, I will figure out a permanent mounting process and location. Until then, all is well and I have completed my daily project. Also, I view this as a minor design issue and not a big deal. Like when a thermostat is mounted in a house where the sun can hit on it. They have to go somewhere and where they are is actually a great spot, but I will make it a bit better. Here are some pics.
Front sensors
Rear sensors
Alde controls (after organizing the wires)
The opening behind the sensor cage next to the refrig
The CZone wires (now organized, there mist be 15' of extra wire)
The new sensor location
All temps now reading correctly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front zone sensors.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	345176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear zone sensors.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	345177  

Name:	Alde controls removed.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	345178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Open behind front cage.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	345179  

Name:	CZone wires organized.jpeg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	345180   Click image for larger version

Name:	New sensor location.jpeg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	345181  

Name:	Temps now correct.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	345182  
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:52 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Thermostats

I just confirmed my Flying Cloud 30 with 2 AC units is wired where both the AC units are controlled by the thermostat panel in the bedroom. If both Zone 1 and Zone 2 are set to 72F, for example, the units shut off at the exact same time. The temp probe by the TV does not affect the cooling temperature setting. I think the wire from this probe was not hooked up correctly at the factory. The furnace is set up for Zone 2, but is also controlled by the bedroom thermostat.
Pro Pride hitch
Old 07-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Miami , Florida
I’m glad I found this discussion. I bought a 2015 International FB27 with 2 ACs and the main unit was freezing us out even though we had it set above 80. I felt the wall and yes it’s warm because of the fridge. I’m going to try some of the suggestions about pulling the sensor out so it can read the air temp rather than the wall temp. Crazy we have to do this.
pianolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:03 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Our 2019 30' FC has the zone 2 sensor beside the TV about 3 inches from the wall and beneath the overhead cabinet. It picks up heat from the water heater which is directly below under the dinette seat. It causes the AC to run much longer and the heat to not run quite long enough. It is an issue I will ask JC to address when I take it in for warranty work. It should be closer to the aisle where it is not affected by trapped air under the overhead cabinet.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:09 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Miss wired

I plan to take my trailer to an Airstream dealer for some maintenance and then ask them to trace my thermostat wires. I think I might leave them incorrectly wired after hearing other complaints! I will report what they find. My guess is the wire from the 'TV' probe is not connected to the front AC terminal strip. Both units are using the bedroom thermostat.
Pro Pride hitch
Old 07-24-2019, 08:41 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Miami , Florida
UPDATE: I removed the TV from the wall which gave me access to the small housing (or "cage") for the temp sensor. I removed the "cage" and found the sensor attached to the wall with a small clip. I removed the clip and pulled out the sensor and the wire it is attached to. I let it dangle free in the air. At the time the temp reading was 87 degrees. 10 minutes later the temp reading was 77 degrees (confirmed with a separate temp gauge) which was the same as the bedroom temp. A full 10 degrees difference. I am now convinced that the heat on the wall which I believe is because of the refrigerator caused the sensor to read the wall temp rather than the air temp and that the sensor is not defective but working properly. Now I have to decide where to relocate the sensor or just try and find a way to insulate the sensor from the wall.
pianolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:05 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Same problem for my 2015 Classic 30 rear twin bed. The bedroom temp sensor is under the white round vented cover to the left of the TV. The forum threads helped me locate the temp sensor for zone 1 which is the sitting room as I could not find any obvious sensor covers but if watching TV the temp reading for zone 1 continually gets warmer which throws off the AC and heat triggers. I removed and disassembled the control unit and found the sensor soldered to the bottom of the circuit board with the leads bent so the sensor is pointed downward near to the slots in the plastic cover. So the easy solution is to pull the TV fully extended on the wall mount out of the wall recess when watching. This should be far enough away to minimize the heat from the TV affecting the temp sensor. If that doesn't work, move the unit to another location which would involve patching a 1" hole or cut the sensor off the circuit board, attach extension wires to the board and sensor and mount it 48" above the floor, adjacent to the refrigerator door. This would have to be done with cold solder or crimp connections on the sensor. The question is, will the sensor function correctly off the board? I am guessing it would as the added resistance of the extension wire would be minimal.