Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
More AC Problems...

Hi,

I thought starting another thread may be better.

Had issues with AC fan failing to start. Long hum which suggested a capacitor.

Replaced capacitor yesterday and fired right up and was more efficient! Blew harder and quieter! YEA!

Then...today back to same problem...... I did a reset of the thermostat and it did start after that but I think there may be more to it as other AC has never had an issue.

So...Am I looking at replacing the motor?

Considering warranty work the several places I spoke with are scheduled out till September so I better get on it BUT what are the chances they have the parts in stock? I could see it taking extra time.

What sort of replaceable parts should I start looking for?

Any other advice?

Thanks!

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:32 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Best guess is the compressor is shot and the unit needs to be replaced.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:46 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Best guess is the compressor is shot and the unit needs to be replaced.

Bob
AC fires up...it's the fan that's not starting....

BUT at this point...
Old 07-06-2021, 03:29 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Dang it!!!

Wrong capacitor!

The tech and I BOTH compared and read it wrong! Needs a 55+15 mF and we installed a 45+15mF.

I just happened to look at the old one and it finally regsitered and dug up the receipt!

Hopefully THAT didn't damaged the motor!

Oh well...only money right!

Old 07-06-2021, 04:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Iíll bet youíll be fine after the wrong one blew.

BUT - are you sure youíve got a good power source with enough voltage? Due to the hot weather, itís not uncommon for utilities to lower the voltage (brown outs) to avoid a blackout. When voltage goes down, amp draw goes up!

If all is good, try the new CAP and see what happens. Have you called Airstream directly for support? They may send you parts if youíre unable to make it to a dealer. They reimbursed me for repairs on our Dometic fridge performed by a Dometic Platinum shop.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Iíll bet youíll be fine after the wrong one blew.

BUT - are you sure youíve got a good power source with enough voltage? Due to the hot weather, itís not uncommon for utilities to lower the voltage (brown outs) to avoid a blackout. When voltage goes down, amp draw goes up!

If all is good, try the new CAP and see what happens. Have you called Airstream directly for support? They may send you parts if youíre unable to make it to a dealer. They reimbursed me for repairs on our Dometic fridge performed by a Dometic Platinum shop.
Airstream was not very helpful. They gave the the wrong part number to begin with a couple weeks ago.

I found the part on Amazon and have it coming next week. Looks like exact part comparing labels. Bought a ladder too!

Pretty sure good power source. 13,500 BTU fires right up and looks like plenty of current judging by the surge protector.emf display....

It actually ran GREAT yesterday! Fired up right away and was blowing more than ever! Today took a while and then humming again. I was cleaning up and had the receipt next to the old unit and somehow both the tech and I misread it! There's a slight tear on the label right at the 55 +15 and at a glance it looks like 45 but it's 55 for sure.....

This is why I hate hiring anyone to do my work for me! I was having sciatica issues last week and no ladder so decided to pay... Oh well! Got to see how it's done so....I should be up and down in 15 minutes when I get the part.

Hopefully not the fan too as that looks out of stock everywhere.....
Old 07-06-2021, 07:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
I hear ya about hiring someone if you can do it… Airstream explained I could go to any Dometic Repair Center and submit the invoice to Jackson Center for reimbursement.

I found a large General RV dealer 20 miles away; it took two weeks to get in but they found a broken wire and repaired it even though they don’t sell Airstream. JC did reimbursement me for the cost.

Just a thought in case the capacitor doesn’t do the trick and the repair gets expensive.

Good luck and let us know how it works out!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:39 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Shoot!

Replaced capacitor and still long hum before start IF it starts! This is with just fan so hopefully not effecting AC. It did fire up after a couple minutes as I think I read a first start may take that long. But subsequent tries hummed too long.

Danged motor is unavailable! Since it fired up I wonder if that is actually the issue.... Both capacitor replacements found the installed one with zero charge; not a spark... does this indicate something?

Anything else to check before I get a motor?

How would I find out if Airstream has any motors?

I need Dometic part # 9105305778 or Airstream part # 690323-471

I'm staying up in the mountains since it's cool and I have one AC working fine. No service centers anywhere near. Been trying to get a service appt in Tucson or anywhere in SW in late September but it's been impossible to even get through!

Thanks for any help!

Trav
Old 07-14-2021, 04:28 AM   #9
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Trav,

I wonder if looking for a generic motor rather than Dometic or Airstream has a chance? Get mfgr, model, name plate data etc and go to an electrical HVAC supply house and plead your case. OR remove and put it on their counter, HELP!

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:18 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Trav,

I wonder if looking for a generic motor rather than Dometic or Airstream has a chance? Get mfgr, model, name plate data etc and go to an electrical HVAC supply house and plead your case. OR remove and put it on their counter, HELP!

Gary
Thanks!

I've considered that as I bet the only difference is length of the spindle. There seems to be plenty of room for a bit larger one.

Almost considering buying another entire AC unit and using it for spare parts as I go along!

I see the same model for as low as $900! If a motor is ~$150+....
Old 07-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
OH BTW!

Since a capacitor stores a charge... is that instantaneous or does it have to build up over time?

I tried the fan alone last night and just now and it has a slow spin start for ~10 seconds then fires up. Previously it was humming with no indication of motor turning.

It's 50į here so I'll try AC later!

Trav
Old 07-14-2021, 01:12 PM   #12
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Trav,

I'll let others answer the CAP function question.

Have you ever been able to spin the fan motor (power off) by hand and feel for drag, bad bearing type feel?

I'll claim VERY minor AC troubleshooting but I have a tool that might be interesting. A fairly common multimeter. Tests CAP's mF stuff and has an AC clamp on ammeter with MAX recording function too. If it could be positioned to monitor AC amp draw while you're testing, might be interesting.

Get some electrical DNA results.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:11 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
OH BTW!

Since a capacitor stores a charge... is that instantaneous or does it have to build up over time?

Trav
Hi

In an AC circuit, a capacitor shifts the phase angle between the voltage and current. With a resistive load, peak current happens at the peak voltage point. If you put a capacitor in, peak current moves away from peak voltage.

This turns out to be just what you want to do when starting a normal electric motor off of single phase AC. You don't want to do this in normal run mode so the cap comes out once things are up to speed.

So no, the capacitor does not need time to get up to this or that state. It's ready to go when you turn on the power.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote