Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Modifying Dometic Air Distribution Box to match 1975 Argosy curved ceiling

1975 Argosy 28ft

I've found that when I hold my new Dometic manual control air distribution box for my Penguin II up to the ceiling, the curve keeps it from mounting flush. My instinct is to trim away at the plastic with my Dremel or hacksaw until I can achieve a flush mount.

Before I start cutting though, is there anyone with experience in this situation?
I'd be grateful to hear how others have solved this problem. How were the results?

Thank you DIYers!
Atx2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I mounted our new Penguin yesterday and no ill effect with the fit of the D box.
It gets screwed around it's perimeter anyway.
What I Don't like so much is the condensate kit and its added 1" foam gasket material thus raising the entire unit off the roof that much more than the standard 3/4" gasket.
I wish Airstream would have kept the contoured base(now discontinued) that was original(mine was toast) but my guess is the newer trailers have a flatter roof profile and it's not needed?

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
I mounted our new Penguin yesterday and no ill effect with the fit of the D box.
It gets screwed around it's perimeter anyway.
What I Don't like so much is the condensate kit and its added 1" foam gasket material thus raising the entire unit off the roof that much more than the standard 3/4" gasket.
Ditto with fit of D box. Mine didn't match curve of roof but those screws did their magic.

After one year the 4 bolts that hold the Penguin II down and compress the gaskets were finger loose. I retightened the bolts to what I thought was reasonable torque. I then looked on the roof and the second gasket (the one that came with the condensate "cups", not the grey foam gasket glued to the bottom of the Penguin II) had compressed down to almost nothing.

Hasn't leaked yet, so I guess everything is good. Another year has gone by, so I should check again.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote