Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Titusville , Florida
Missing Panel for Furnace air Intake

I bought a used 93 25Ft Excella. I noticed below the stove there is one large wood panel and I believe there should be another wood panel below that one with some type of intake filter for the furnace. It is missing I do believe. The person that owned it before me took out the carpeting and put in lanoleum flooring. I think he may have broke the panel or something. The furnace works perfect. I sure could use a little information about this, and if it is missing where I may be able to get another one.

Thanks
Caltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltech View Post
I bought a used 93 25Ft Excella. I noticed below the stove there is one large wood panel and I believe there should be another wood panel below that one with some type of intake filter for the furnace. It is missing I do believe. The person that owned it before me took out the carpeting and put in lanoleum flooring. I think he may have broke the panel or something. The furnace works perfect. I sure could use a little information about this, and if it is missing where I may be able to get another one.

Thanks
There is nothing missing.

An intake filter has never been used.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Titusville , Florida
Hi Andy, and thanks for the reply, there has to be something blocking the access to the area back there then because a small dog or cat can get back into places they shouldn't be.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
A photo(s) would help.

Zep
Old 02-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Titusville , Florida
Hi Zep, I think I figured it out. There should be a small 1/8" panel going accross behind the larger panel just under the big panel under the oven. The panel shoul be about 2"-3" behind the lower oven panel going from the floor up leaving about 4" open for an air intake for the furnace. You can see on the left side where there used to be a panel of some sort going accross there, but someone cut it off right at the piece of aluminum that held the panel, that is still there, but the piece of aluminum on the right side is missing, but that's not a problem. all the trailers I look at you could not see back in there and it looked like that lower smaller panel down there was recessed for some reason. Any of yours have a recessed panel?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
No recessed panels. But I suspect the 70s models are different from your 93. The 70s all have ducts and tubes that go right to the back side of the partitions, then through a grill.

Zep
Old 02-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltech View Post
Hi Zep, I think I figured it out. There should be a small 1/8" panel going accross behind the larger panel just under the big panel under the oven. The panel shoul be about 2"-3" behind the lower oven panel going from the floor up leaving about 4" open for an air intake for the furnace. You can see on the left side where there used to be a panel of some sort going accross there, but someone cut it off right at the piece of aluminum that held the panel, that is still there, but the piece of aluminum on the right side is missing, but that's not a problem. all the trailers I look at you could not see back in there and it looked like that lower smaller panel down there was recessed for some reason. Any of yours have a recessed panel?
It sounds to me that your talking about the air intake.

If that's the case, if you cover it up, your furnace will become useless.

How about a photo?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Titusville , Florida
I fixed it. I did not cover it up. The panel which is recessed about 2-2 1/2" in back of the larger panel that is just under the oven goes up in back of that oven panel. It leaves a gap of about 2 1/2" in back of that oven panel and about a 3" gap all the way across at the top of the recessed panel from the bottom of the oven enclosure giving the furnace plenty of breathing area. Maybe what is confusing everyone is that the larger oven panel sits 5" off the floor even with the oven door, under that there was nothing, missing, gone, capute, zip. The other Trailers I looked at seemed to have some type of a recessed panel under there, anyhow it works great.