Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2020, 02:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Micro-Air Easy Touch Thermostat

I received an email from Micro-Air offering a $50 discount on its Easy Touch Thermostat. A search yielded a couple of comments on the forums where people liked it, but without really saying what it did that made it appealing to them. Clearly it has wifi and bluetooth connections, but I am not sure how important those are for a trailer used as an occasional camper and without wifi at its storage facility.

If anyone who has it has comments on it, I would love to see them.

Thanks.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
We have one and got it for the WiFi connection as we saw the need to be able to monitor/control inside temp when we leave the dog. We are will be more full time than casual at this point.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
I'm seriously thinking of getting one simply because I'm tired of someone pushing the wrong button on the Dometic unit causing it go haywire until I can remember how to reset the darn thing.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I just ordered one, primarily because it allows for settings in a schedule instead of the 2 on the stock thermostat. I won't get around to the install for a while though. No camping scheduled until March.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Lovely!

I installed it today...easy with good instructions. I checked it out with the furnace since I have no AC to the trailer right now. Works great and the schedule function is a bit more intuitive than the stock unit. I haven't mastered wifi with it yet, but time for that in the Spring.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Just as a follow up we have been living with ours full time for over a month. It’s the best. I can be laying in bed or sitting at the table and just connect and adjust. Makes staying comfy easy and managing the reverse cycle to furnace threshold switchover. I have found that sometimes when the temp is on the edge forcing the furnace on makes for a much happier wife.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
Makes staying comfy easy and managing the reverse cycle to furnace threshold switchover.
Thanks! Could you please elaborate on the above point? Does it allow you to set an outside temperature for the switch over from heat pump to furnace? Can you set a temperature for a switch back to heat pump?
Old 02-02-2021, 07:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Micro-Air Easy Touch Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
Thanks! Could you please elaborate on the above point? Does it allow you to set an outside temperature for the switch over from heat pump to furnace? Can you set a temperature for a switch back to heat pump?

No that would be too cool. It just allows me to laying in bed, hear the reverse cycle just struggling along , open the app and select furnace. Voila, didn’t have to get out of bed, and have real heat. It seems though that anything under 45 at night furnace is just a better option
Old 02-02-2021, 09:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
No that would be too cool. It just allows me to laying in bed, hear the reverse cycle just struggling along , open the app and select furnace. Voila, didn’t have to get out of bed, and have real heat. It seems though that anything under 45 at night furnace is just a better option
Drats! That would have been nice. I don't think I can make the switch to furnace to stop the heat pump noise without waking my wife so I can see some benefit. Just not enough to justify the price.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
We did it for the away from the trailer management of temps and alarms. That was critical for the pup when he’s left alone

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5254.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	387996
Old 02-02-2021, 10:41 AM   #11
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
I received an email from Micro-Air offering a $50 discount on its Easy Touch Thermostat. A search yielded a couple of comments on the forums where people liked it, but without really saying what it did that made it appealing to them. Clearly it has wifi and bluetooth connections, but I am not sure how important those are for a trailer used as an occasional camper and without wifi at its storage facility.

If anyone who has it has comments on it, I would love to see them.

Thanks.
We installed one this fall along with a temperature stick as a way to remote manage the AS and monitor for the dog.

The thermostat is great in my opinion. It is plug and play for the wacky Domestic system (literally unplug the domestic and plug in the Micro-Air). It controls both units with ease

It leverages the outside temperature monitor and has a threshold for when to turn on the heat pump vs the furnace so for the rear unit on a two unit system it will select the one you need or you can just switch to the furnace.

The app works well on both bluetooth and wifi. I wish the app was a bit more robust and allowed you to control more but it is serviceable and allows you to see both inside and outside temperature for both units.

The app is great for making changes in temp from the lounge or while in bed as to not disturb your partner. The wall unit can be programmed to time out the display after a few seconds so we keep it like that so it stays dark all the time except for when you interact with it.

I would say I use the app 99% of the time and have only touched the wall unit a handful of times.

I did have a little wackiness with the unit disconnecting from wifi once or twice but I think it was a software thing that got resolved through an update. Haven't had any issues with that over the last few months.

If you are looking for a well featured thermostat that you can control remotely and is super simple to install you should get the Micro-Air Easy Touch.Attachment 388002Attachment 388003Attachment 388001Attachment 387999Attachment 388000
pdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:47 AM   #12
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
Drats! That would have been nice. I don't think I can make the switch to furnace to stop the heat pump noise without waking my wife so I can see some benefit. Just not enough to justify the price.
It does have the capability to select based on outside temperature. I can verify mine works well.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Fine looking dog!

Should we ever invest in a way to keep the trailer connected while camping, this unit makes all the sense in the world. Without that, it falls into the "I would really like to have it, but can't justify it" category. At least while we still have the warranty.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdavey View Post
It does have the capability to select based on outside temperature. I can verify mine works well.
OK. That is very good. Might need to reconsider. When they go back on sale that is.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #15
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
OK. That is very good. Might need to reconsider. When they go back on sale that is.
The other good thing is because you can control by bluetooth you can get the same benefits to control remotely inside the unit as you would with wifi.

If you ever decide to go the connected route let me know and I am happy to give you pointers. I set ours up to be connected almost anywhere.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdavey View Post

Where do you set that? I have not found that option.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:15 PM   #17
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
Where do you set that? I have not found that option.
I sit corrected. It is the rear Dometic unit that has the control board that automatically switches the system to furnace when the temperature is below a certain point.

There is no control on the thermostat to set that differential.

The front Dometic unit has the same control feature for my setup. It won't run under 30 degrees F

The way I have my unit set during the winter is to have the HP run on the front and the furnace in the rear. What happens is the HP runs primary to maintain during the day and the furnace primary runs at night when it is cold.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Aah thanks. Thought I was missing something that would have been very useful as the factory switchover is below practical switchover point at least in my mind.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:40 PM   #19
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
Aah thanks. Thought I was missing something that would have been very useful as the factory switchover is below practical switchover point at least in my mind.
Yeah from what I read there is a set of dip switches on the HP to change the settings. A true interface would be much better. Also the issue with cutover is that it should be based on temperature and humidity to really be efficient but to be quite honest only the really high end house HP systems have that.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
the factory switchover is below practical switchover point at least in my mind.
So true. It gets pretty busy and noisy. It would be nice to be able to adjust the temperature for it.