Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2021, 10:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Boise , ID
Micro-Air Easy Start Issues

Hello Everyone! This is my first post in Air Forums. We recently got at 2020 Globetrotter 23FB that has a 13.5k BTU Dometic air conditioner. I was told that I could run this off of a Honda eu2200i generator if I had an Easy Start. Looking in the forums, it looks like a lot of folks are running this setup. I bought and installed an Easy Start and it worked just fine on shore power. I did the "learning" phase of 5 on-off cycles on shore power before trying out my generator. Unfortunately, when I try to run on my generator I get an "E7" error code on my Dometic thermostat and the air conditioner never kicks on. I contacted Micro-Air and they had me take pictures of my installation, walk them through my setup, etc., and they've concluded that it must be my generator is underpowered. But that seems strange, right? Other folks are using this setup with beefier air conditioners and they say it works just fine. I tried turning off EVERYTHING else at the breakers, including inverter, converter, fridge/freezer, water pump, furnace, outlets, etc. So there should literally be no power draw except my air conditioner, but still get the "E7" code. My generator is not on eco mode and displays no warning lights of being overdrawn, etc. We do have a surge protector installed that displays "open ground" when connected to the generator, so I'll be troubleshooting that next and grounding my generator with a bonding plug. Any other thoughts? I'd hate to buy a second generator since the reason I got the Easy Start was to prevent that in the first place.
Loren Colson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
I have 2 Honda eu2200i generators and I installed Easy Starts on both AC units (13.5. and 15k). I can run either AC unit on either air conditioner, or I can run both units with the parallel kit installed. I confirm it is possible.

Is your Honda generator running on gas or propane? Do you have the ECO mode turned off? What is your elevation?

And maybe most importantly...are you sure your water heater is not pulling electricity?

And most importantly of all...make sure you have turned off the circuit breaker for your converter. If your generator is charging your batteries, then the AC might struggle to kick on.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #3
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Colson View Post
Hello Everyone! This is my first post in Air Forums. We recently got at 2020 Globetrotter 23FB that has a 13.5k BTU Dometic air conditioner. I was told that I could run this off of a Honda eu2200i generator if I had an Easy Start. Looking in the forums, it looks like a lot of folks are running this setup. I bought and installed an Easy Start and it worked just fine on shore power. I did the "learning" phase of 5 on-off cycles on shore power before trying out my generator. Unfortunately, when I try to run on my generator I get an "E7" error code on my Dometic thermostat and the air conditioner never kicks on. I contacted Micro-Air and they had me take pictures of my installation, walk them through my setup, etc., and they've concluded that it must be my generator is underpowered. But that seems strange, right? Other folks are using this setup with beefier air conditioners and they say it works just fine. I tried turning off EVERYTHING else at the breakers, including inverter, converter, fridge/freezer, water pump, furnace, outlets, etc. So there should literally be no power draw except my air conditioner, but still get the "E7" code. My generator is not on eco mode and displays no warning lights of being overdrawn, etc. We do have a surge protector installed that displays "open ground" when connected to the generator, so I'll be troubleshooting that next and grounding my generator with a bonding plug. Any other thoughts? I'd hate to buy a second generator since the reason I got the Easy Start was to prevent that in the first place.

Try the grounding plug and give your surge protector a few minutes to cycle before turning your AC on at the thermostat. Start with your AC off till your surge protector has made it’s cycle usually takes less than 5 min. I’d guess and say less than 3 takes mine about 2 minutes to cycle then turn your AC on at the thermostat. Good luck.
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 11:20 AM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Micro-Air Easy Start Issues

I see you are in Boise. Boise is at just under 3,000ft elevation. Remember that with combustion engines (non turbo) you lose ~3% power per 1,000 feet of elevation. So you are running more in the 2000w range max with that genset.

That being said you should still be able to run the AC if all other breakers are off on your power panel (including converter and hot water heater)
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:27 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Boise , ID
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
I have 2 Honda eu2200i generators and I installed Easy Starts on both AC units (13.5. and 15k). I can run either AC unit on either air conditioner, or I can run both units with the parallel kit installed. I confirm it is possible.

Is your Honda generator running on gas or propane? Do you have the ECO mode turned off? What is your elevation?

And maybe most importantly...are you sure your water heater is not pulling electricity?

And most importantly of all...make sure you have turned off the circuit breaker for your converter. If your generator is charging your batteries, then the AC might struggle to kick on.
Thanks for your response! It is running on gas and eco mode is turned off. I've turned off the breaker for everything else and it still doesn't start.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:30 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Boise , ID
Thanks! I'll try it out and let you know.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:41 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
If you have tried everything else, maybe it didn’t learn what it needed to. I had to reteach one of mine and it has been fine since. It’s first learning must have been a fail on mine so I took it off, did the reset of the microair, reinstalled and retaught it. Fine ever since.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Wait for the feedback from Micro Air, you might have a bad easy start. I have never heard of a bad one, just thinking outside the box. I have a 2021, I can start and run my 15k without EasyStart using my propane converted Genconnex EU2200i @ 890ft with lights and fantastic fan running.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Are you sure that the compressor started on the learning runs? The HVAC fan runs for 30 seconds or more before the compressor actually starts. Perhaps you might have shut it down before the compressor started?
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:26 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Dry Branch , Georgia
generator and AC unit

You may need to take a volt meter and check to see if your generator is putting out the correct voltage.
If voltage is low you adjust carburetor to increase motor RPM.
If voltage is high slow it down.
Just good to check.

Good Luck
Buckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:48 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

You said you turned the fridge breaker off. I had the same problem using a 2500 W generator. I got the E7 error code on the thermostat. I didn’t realize that the generator was powering the refrigerator. Once I switched the fridge to LP mode I didn’t have any more problem. Not sure if that helps
jonnie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:48 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Glade Park , Colorado
Have you tried without the surge protector? If memory serves, I recall the manual with my protector stated that it is not meant for use with a generator.
Red SandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:04 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Boise , ID
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilPeanut View Post
If you have tried everything else, maybe it didn’t learn what it needed to. I had to reteach one of mine and it has been fine since. It’s first learning must have been a fail on mine so I took it off, did the reset of the microair, reinstalled and retaught it. Fine ever since.
How do you reset it? Do you have to uninstall? Willing to do it, but seems like a pain...
Old 06-30-2021, 11:05 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Boise , ID
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SandS View Post
Have you tried without the surge protector? If memory serves, I recall the manual with my protector stated that it is not meant for use with a generator.
I bought it used with the surge protector already installed. Not sure how to bypass it but I'll take a look
Old 06-30-2021, 11:05 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Boise , ID
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie3 View Post
You said you turned the fridge breaker off. I had the same problem using a 2500 W generator. I got the E7 error code on the thermostat. I didn’t realize that the generator was powering the refrigerator. Once I switched the fridge to LP mode I didn’t have any more problem. Not sure if that helps
I turned the fridge completely off, but I could try switching it to propane
Old 06-30-2021, 12:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
We do have a surge protector installed that displays "open ground" when connected to the generator, so I'll be troubleshooting that next and grounding my generator with a bonding plug.
Definitely fix this, then start trouble shooting. While this is normal, fixing all the warning codes you can should be the first step.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:25 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Not sure if this is your problem or not. I have a Progressive EMS, not hard wired inside the trailer. When my Champion 4500 watt generator is plugged into the EMS then to the trailer the EMS stops any current flow if there is not a neutral- ground bonding plug plugged into a generator outlet.

You can buy one or easily make your own (search You Tube.)

Before I get any feed back I had the EMS in line only to see how many amps I was drawing from my generator.

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:29 PM   #18
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Re-Learn Allows Retention When You Upgrade Trailers

Quote:
How do you reset it? Do you have to uninstall? Willing to do it, but seems like a pain...
It’s on their website (link below) - You have to open the Easy Start box/cover, change a jumper position, restart the AC once, change the jumper back to the original position, and then start the learning process all over again with 5 restarts.

The re-learn steps are required anytime you relocate the EasyStart to another AC unit.

http://www.micro-air.com/support-doc...Relearning.pdf

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Not so crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by link2dks View Post
Before I get any feed back I had the EMS in line only to see how many amps I was drawing from my generator.

Dave S
As long as the bonding plug is installed, I don’t see any issue with having the EMS in line. My first suggestion to Loren would be to watch the amps on starting up the A/C while on shore power. On mine, the fan pulls about 400 W and the easystart ramps the total up to about 1600 W, above all other users. The power draw is the most important data point here.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:34 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Easton , PA
For those who haven’t purchased their EasyStart yet, I recommend buying the new Bluetooth version—I believe it’s $15 more. One can reset it via the app instead of opening the unit up. The app also allows for diagnostics. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3381.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	398473Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3382.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	398474