Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2017, 08:07 PM   #21
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
There are a few sellers around $500… It's sold by Dickinson now, as part of their stove line-up. Before it was made by sig Marine in Canada. Long ago it was called Force 10. There's a Diesel version.

http://www.go2marine.com/product/831...at-heater.html

I've seen the advertised BTU vary... Original Canadian sig Marine rated at 5500, Dickinson rates it at 6500. I don't know why.

It's a good size and fit for the 68GT.

If I ever trail over the Rockies, I'll plot its performance along the way from Lake Michigan's 577' above sea level. I have not read where a Cozy Cabin was put to a high altitude test. I wonder if sailors on Lake Tahoe 6,225' use them? It will be good to discover its limits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3652.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	298489  
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Dickinson P12000

About a month ago I installed a Dickinson P12000 bulkhead-mount heater in my 2017 International 27FB. I placed it on the wall by the fridge (after removing the TV, which I don't use), so that it faces the dinette. I tapped propane and 12 V power from the fridge's outside compartment.

I removed the end cushion from the couch, since nobody would want to sit right up against the heater. I mounted the heater quite low--the center of the window is only 18" above the couch's seat cushion, right at chest level--so I had to add a 10" stovepipe extension.

I like the P12000 very much. I have previous experience with Wave 3 (3,000 BTU) and Wave 6 (6,000 BTU) catalytic heaters. They're silent and efficient, but require opening a vent or window, which lets in cold air... and their heat output is extremely directional, so they basically just heat what they’re aimed at.

By contrast, the 5,500 BTU Dickinson P12000 has a small, quiet fan that draws only about half an amp, but does a very good job of spreading the heat around. And its coaxial stovepipe, with an inner exhaust pipe and an outer intake pipe, means I don't have to open a vent or window. The intake air is preheated as it travels down the pipe, so it's a very efficient system.

Drawbacks? Well, aside from eliminating the living room's TV, which I understand many folks may not want to do, I had to cut 3" holes in the ceiling and in the roof. That was a bit scary. (I used a hole saw to cut most of the way through, then finished with a handheld hacksaw blade.)

I found that I enjoyed sitting next to the heater on cold mornings, so I installed a small dimmable LED reading light on the wall above the stove.

As far as temperatures are concerned, the heater's window becomes hot enough to burn you (450° F. or more), but the rest of the unit remains touchable. The lower front panels and outer case are actually cool to the touch, and the upper grille is barely warm. Even the stovepipe is touchable, although not for very long--it runs about 110°-130°. (Remember, the outer stovepipe is carrying cool air from the outside.) No oxygen-depletion sensor is needed, since air is coming from outside the rig. I've used the heater at elevations as high as 7,000 feet without a problem.

The adjacent wall barely gets warm, and the couch cushion, which is only ten inches below the heater’s base, stays cool. The cardboard semicircle you see in the photo is a placeholder for a wooden one that I'll put there--not to protect the cushion, but as a convenient place to set drinks and snacks.

That's my experience, for what it's worth. The P12000 isn't cheap, but it works very well. And its all-stainless-steel construction should make it last a long time, as well as nicely complementing the brushed-silver Airstream look.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dickinson-P12000-installed.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	298498  
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:54 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1970 25' Caravanner
Incline Village , Nevada
Heat in rear

Aluminuminum
How well does that distribute heat to the rear of the trailer? Assuming you have a bathroom and bedroom back there? Location seems optimal although now that you have been using it would you suggest any other mounting places?
Jeremy9107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #24
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Dickinson P1200 Propane Fireplace

We installed our fireplace last April. The fireplace is nice because it adds some nice ambiance. The flue is double walled and it is a direct vent. The combustion air comes down the outside chamber of the flue from outside and exhausts the combustion gases out the inside chamber of the flue.

It has a small, quiet fan that helps to circulate the air, but I installed a 12 volt fan on the bulkhead above the dinette to move the warm air throughout the coach. We installed ours above the cushion as there is enough clearance below, but if I was doing it again, I might remove the cushion so the view of the firebox is better. The fan in the fireplace and the Sirocco fan use a lot less 12v power than the furnace so help with boon docking.

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	298571

Name:   Sirroco-807-white-250x250.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  11.0 KB
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0243.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	298569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0244.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	298570  

Old 11-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #25
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
In small sixties trailers like the GTs, Caravels, there was no duct-work, the original furnace blew directly into the cabin about mid-ship. There was no holding tank heat. No bedroom. The cabin length of the entire GT is 17', Caravel is 14' inside. Heat circulation for the Cozy Cabin relies on natural convection and whatever passive current stirring the human occupants create.. The Cozy Cabin has a small burner compared to gas stove-top. 6000BTU is 1750W.

As mounting places go, there are few to none in an Airstream. In my re-model, its placement only has a few cm of wiggle room so it doesn't interfere with the manufacturers clearances, microwave door, refrigerator door, overhead cabinet door, roof vent, and pocket door.

The 1200 Dickinson with fan should out-perform the Cozy Cabin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0383.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	298617   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0725.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	298618  

Name:	DSC_0726.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	298619   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0727.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	298620  

Old 04-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Backer cloud

Looks like it's living up to it's name. Looks very cozy.

Would you mind if I copy your design for the backer plate? The cloud design is perfect, simple and smart.

Also, off subject, but could you share your cooktop info? It's time I ordered one.

Thank you.

p.s. Your teapot is great. Love porcelain.
Mtmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #27
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
Looks like it's living up to it's name. Looks very cozy.

Would you mind if I copy your design for the backer plate? The cloud design is perfect, simple and smart.

Also, off subject, but could you share your cooktop info? It's time I ordered one.

Thank you.

p.s. Your teapot is great. Love porcelain.”

The cabin heater has been successful for our little trailer. It works just fine. You're welcome to copy any aspect of whatever interests you.

The residential cooktop came from eBay. No problems with it. The cast iron burner top can be lashed down for travel with an elastic cord or removed.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Ramblewood-Gc....c100005.m1851

The Whale Tail Teapot was a good diversion.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/whale-tail-teapot-116742.html

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_3382.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	308661   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3380.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	308662  

Old 10-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic
Keswick , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
About a month ago I installed a Dickinson P12000 bulkhead-mount heater in my 2017 International 27FB. I placed it on the wall by the fridge (after removing the TV, which I don't use), so that it faces the dinette. I tapped propane and 12 V power from the fridge's outside compartment.

I removed the end cushion from the couch, since nobody would want to sit right up against the heater. I mounted the heater quite low--the center of the window is only 18" above the couch's seat cushion, right at chest level--so I had to add a 10" stovepipe extension.

I like the P12000 very much. I have previous experience with Wave 3 (3,000 BTU) and Wave 6 (6,000 BTU) catalytic heaters. They're silent and efficient, but require opening a vent or window, which lets in cold air... and their heat output is extremely directional, so they basically just heat what they’re aimed at.

By contrast, the 5,500 BTU Dickinson P12000 has a small, quiet fan that draws only about half an amp, but does a very good job of spreading the heat around. And its coaxial stovepipe, with an inner exhaust pipe and an outer intake pipe, means I don't have to open a vent or window. The intake air is preheated as it travels down the pipe, so it's a very efficient system.

Drawbacks? Well, aside from eliminating the living room's TV, which I understand many folks may not want to do, I had to cut 3" holes in the ceiling and in the roof. That was a bit scary. (I used a hole saw to cut most of the way through, then finished with a handheld hacksaw blade.)

I found that I enjoyed sitting next to the heater on cold mornings, so I installed a small dimmable LED reading light on the wall above the stove.

As far as temperatures are concerned, the heater's window becomes hot enough to burn you (450° F. or more), but the rest of the unit remains touchable. The lower front panels and outer case are actually cool to the touch, and the upper grille is barely warm. Even the stovepipe is touchable, although not for very long--it runs about 110°-130°. (Remember, the outer stovepipe is carrying cool air from the outside.) No oxygen-depletion sensor is needed, since air is coming from outside the rig. I've used the heater at elevations as high as 7,000 feet without a problem.

The adjacent wall barely gets warm, and the couch cushion, which is only ten inches below the heater’s base, stays cool. The cardboard semicircle you see in the photo is a placeholder for a wooden one that I'll put there--not to protect the cushion, but as a convenient place to set drinks and snacks.

That's my experience, for what it's worth. The P12000 isn't cheap, but it works very well. And its all-stainless-steel construction should make it last a long time, as well as nicely complementing the brushed-silver Airstream look.
Very nice installation, and I like this stove or the solid fuel stove. Does it add water to the inside of your trailer. We have recently had trouble with condensation in very wet climates. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Charlottesville, Virginia
gregwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Here is a tiny wood stove with a 3" flue pipe https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...76879069199449
Old 10-18-2018, 09:38 AM   #30
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
Yup, There are some really beautiful options in the world of Nautical wood stoves, for those willing and able to manage ash and store split wood.

As comfort goes, not much matches sitting by a fire.

gregwall... No combustion condensation with Cozy Cabin.