Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
I did take apart the other unit and the thermocouple does go up inside the pilot tube. I picked up a thermocouple today at the big box store The packaging says that it has an electrical connection, meaning I guess that it works from a power source. But I figured I got it so I would give it a try, but no results, pilot still wont light, and main burner will only stay lit if the safety button is pushed in. I am now searching to see if there is a non electrical type. This unit is a Honeywell universal type for gas furnaces and hot water heaters.
Dan Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
So now I am wondering if maybe the thermocouple needs to be heated up first before the gas would start flowing to the pilot light. Since the old thermocouple was in the middle of the pilot tube, when you went to light the pilot light, it would heat the thermocouple at the same time?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #23
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The way it's supposed to work, you light the pilot while the button is pushed in, and hold it for 30 seconds or so. That gives the thermocouple enough time to heat up.

The thermocouple produces a small amount of electricity and does not need external power. The power it produces holds the safety valve open.

If the pilot won't light with the safety button down, then you have problems with the pilot in addition to whatever thermocouple problems you might have.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Dan: Did you clean the bottom of the hole where the thermocouple is attached to the valve and make sure that when you put the thermocouple line in the hole that you push it in as far as it will go before tightening the nut? It is an electrical device that produces a very small amount of power. 20 millivolts; so it must make good contact with the mating part in side of the hole.
Can you post a photo of your current setup? Showing how you have the new thermocouple mounted etc.
How are you getting the main burner to fire if the pilot won't light?
Where is the button you are pushing in? Can you show us a photo of that as well?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
I am jumping for joy over this one, not jumping as high these days! I ended up heating the coupler first, then the pilot came right on. After about a minute the pilot stayed lit and then I turned the main burner on and "instant flame" After everything look good I attached a small hose clamp on the pilot tube adjusted the height to have it sit in the flame and retarted it. Everthing came right on without a hitch.
Thanks everyone for your help. I did not have any experence with this kind of stuff, but I know allot more now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2969.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	119231   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2973.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	119232  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2975.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	119233  
Old 01-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Congatulations!

You are welcome! Glad to help especially when one has success.

By the way! Beautiful trailer you have.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Outstanding!

I second the opinion that you have a beautiful trailer. Now you can keep warm too.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Just be aware that some clamps are steel and some aluminum. You should check you used a steel clamp, not an aluminum clamp. (It looks like steel) Also, check after a few cycles to make sure the clamp hasn't loosened - although it loosening will just cause the thermocouple to fall out of the pilot light and stop it working.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
Thanks for the advise, and the the remarks about my trailer. Will have a few new pictures to post soon since I have one piece of trim left to cut and then the whole interior wood work gets pulled out and glued up and the finish put on before it's final reinstall. Can't wait for that part. It's been a 9 year project and I am down to the last 7 to 10 months of finish work!