Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Flagstaff , Arizona
Leaky AC on new Flying Cloud

We have a new 2011 23ft Flying Cloud with the white oval Dometic AC unit. One side of it rains water on occasion; at other times, it just drips. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? We are on a trip so it's not easy to get to a dealer right now.
scubadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
2011 is way newer than I am used to. But, on the older versions....and I would think them the same....you would have to take the inner air panel off...thats with four screws thru the bottom face. That exposes the inside hole to the unit. At the four corners there are long bolts that extend up thru the pan, roof,and into the ac unit. By tightening those you compress the seal between the opening and the roof/pan.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Are you saying it leaks when it rains? Or the water rains down from the air conditioner inside the trailer, when the air is running but not raining outside? If it is not raining outside and water is running inside from the air conditioner, you have a condensation drain for the air conditioner that is not hooked up properly or it is plugged. If it leaks when it is raining outside then follow post #2.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:53 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
Are you saying it leaks when it rains? Or the water rains down from the air conditioner inside the trailer, when the air is running but not raining outside? If it is not raining outside and water is running inside from the air conditioner, you have a condensation drain for the air conditioner that is not hooked up properly or it is plugged. If it leaks when it is raining outside then follow post #2.
The problem is inside when it is hot and humid outside. I talked to an AS tech who said that the condensation pan is getting overloaded and the fan is blowing some of the water around and eventually it drops out the vents on to the floor. He said it is happening to others at the dealership. His solution was to turn it off periodically, let the pan drain completely then on again. His comment was that it will only occur when there is excessive humidity with high temps so the tendency is to run the AC continuously. Last night was cooler - no drips inside.
scubadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
That is an interesting theory, but... The drain line should be able to keep up on the most humid days. We were at the International this year and it was extremely hot and humid and the output from the discharge line was a constant drip. It was hardly enough to overpower the drain line.

If your drain need to "catch up" I would check for any blockage at the pan or in the drain line.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
They may have changed the drain system if this is suddenly showing up on new units. I understand the system they used for years was out of date and a cheaper and better system is available, but apparently that is not what they are using.

I'd look for a leak or blockage in the drainage system. If you don't have the tools to do so, any RV shop should be able to solve it—blowing out the tubing with a compressor may work.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
I'm having the same problems. Drops of water inside the trailer when it is not raining outside. Now, I am having a bigger problem. The unit hums, but the fan is not working. I am traveling in Alaska and have seen my share of dust and dirt. Any suggestions? I plan to head south in a few days and thinking of taking it to a dealer in Alberta or BC. It is still under warranty. I don't want to wait until I get back to Georgia. I may need it. However, for now, the fantastic fans are keeping me cool when I need cool air.
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
“I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.”
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:41 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' Flying Cloud
Canora , Saskatchewan
We have a 2009 28 ft Flying Cloud and had the same problem,The dealer took of the inside shroud of the A/C,this then exposes the drip pan that is supposed to catch condensate and any water that comes in through the outside louvers of the A/C unit.Ensure that the drain line is not plugged. The dealer found that our drip pan was cracked in 3 places,he replaced the drip pan , we have not had a problem since (knock on wood)
Good Luck
Merv M
MervM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
New unit - that's what a warrenty if for - they are responsible - DOCUMENT with pictures and notes in a log. Send Airstream an email or letter to document dates of reporting the issue so there is a record of complaint. DO NOT MAKE major repairs as they will tell you that they are not responsible UNLESS they tell you specifically what to do on your own with their advice. Get it to them to make repairs.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
As CrawfordGene suggested, I believe that the newer drip pans cannot accommodate 100% of the condensate that the unit is capable of producing in conditions of high humidity. The residue accumulates up there until it just overflows and drips through the air distribution box onto my floor. I have found that requiring the fan to run continuously (in "low" or "high" mode, as opposed to "auto", which is what I always thought I should be doing on hot days!), exacerbates the problem. (I can stand outside my trailer and watch the flow of condensate through the drain tube actually SURGE whenever the fan cycles off.)
FYI, prior to my enlightening discovery, I dragged it to JC over this (and other issues)......after running it for 2 hours or so (with the distribution box removed), and observing no inside dripping, they concluded that it must be MY fault for "restricting the airflow" by NOT running it without all 5 of the outlets open at ALL times, (including the little ones on the side, and the huge, annoying one in the middle). Well, in retrospect, I should have made them reinstall the box, and THEN run it, but instead, giving them the "benefit of the doubt", I left JC, and in the ensuing days, obediently tried it THEIR way, with no success. It's as if the "aerodynamics" of the box somehow restrict the proper drainage of condensate.
My conclusion is that Dometic needs to take this sleek new distribution box back to the drawing board......
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Also, the new upper units attach with 3 long bolts, and I'd be careful about "tightening" them.....I learned the hard way.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
As water makes its way through the walls, drips can continue for a long time after rain has stopped or the A/C is off. If it is the A/C (it could be a leak and the A/C), a clogged drain may let the water drip for a long time through the pin hole that is left in the drain hole or tube. Leaks can be hard to diagnose and can require removing a lot of stuff to find. Mechanics who are in a hurry can miss things. New trailers can have lots of leak problems that only show up several months after delivery.

Gene
Old 08-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Newport Beach , California
Same Problem with 2010 FC

I have the same interior drip problem but the drain seems to be working. However, when I shut off the A/C after running it all night, a surge of water comes out of the drip line as though a larger amount of water is being held in the drip pan. The surge lasts for approximately 10-15 seconds. Why does that happen? Is it an internal airflow problem whereby the water is trapped until the fan is shut down? BTW, I've been running the A/C all night, high fan, lowest temp, with only one vent (pointing aft) open. Under these conditions, with modest relative humidity, I've been getting a large amount of water draining inside the rig, usually coming out the right side filter area.
hansenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
maybe they need to put a larger diameter drain line. how about a pump on the drain line (like a windshield washer pump) to handle the heavy flow?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
We've had the exact same problem with our 2011 25' FC. We live in Florida and while camping in Daytona Beach last month, we had water dripping on both sides of the A/C unit. Also got an error code on the CCC. Took the cover off, inspected everything and dried off the wiring, disconnected the "telephone" connector and dried it well. The unit restarted but didn't cool for a while, then returned to normal. Some moisture the next day coming out but by the third day it had stopped. This is a problem AS needs to address. I wouldn't dare take it to a dealer because they would run it and tell me it's working fine at the time. Sure would be interested in a permanent solution if anyone comes up with one.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I'm having the same problem...new Dometic Penguin low profile drains great for days then decides to drip for no reason at all...water always SURGES out of the drain when the fan shuts off...I have a bit of an advantage...my '91 has the original Penguin on the front and it works fine...differences?...airflow baffles are different...and the new unit does not allow me to keep the fan on...when the compressor shuts off, so does the fan.

Im figurin if I can swap the control circuit to keep the fan on, my problem will go away....

Anyone have a switch schematic for a manual control Dometic?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
I wouldn't dare take it to a dealer because they would run it and tell me it's working fine at the time.
This problem has been reported on a couple of the threads, so if the dealer hasn't heard your story by now, they will over time. You need to do so before your warranty runs out.

If they won't and don't know how to fix it, contact Airstream about it until you get a good answer and solution. You could also contact the manufacturer.

Gene
Old 08-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Benjisgal -- Humming AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjisgal View Post
I'm having the same problems. Drops of water inside the trailer when it is not raining outside. Now, I am having a bigger problem. The unit hums, but the fan is not working. I am traveling in Alaska and have seen my share of dust and dirt. Any suggestions? I plan to head south in a few days and thinking of taking it to a dealer in Alberta or BC. It is still under warranty. I don't want to wait until I get back to Georgia. I may need it. However, for now, the fantastic fans are keeping me cool when I need cool air.
Benjisgal,

We had the "humming" problem on our AC a couple of years ago. The Fan was stuck, when we started up the AC in the spring. I took the shroud off of the rooftop unit, and simply spun the fan -- after that it ran all season (and has for the last couple of years.

Nor sure if this is your problem -- but an easy thing to check.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
The design flaw (post #10) has been addressed: a/c upper units are now being installed at the factory in such a way that some of the condensate is diverted to the roof....perhaps not a perfect solution, but certainly a step in the right direction.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
Today we just noticed a steady drip off the roof in the front of the AS. perhaps this is the roof condensation fmrcaptevil is referring to? It's a little humid outside but no dripping inside.
smhx4 is offline   Reply With Quote