Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Latest Dometic CCC

I see that new production Airstreams have started shipping with a new Dometic CCC (thermostat).

Does anyone know whether this is better than the old CCC operationally or is it just a cosmetic change?
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It's different. I actually had to RTFM to learn how to make it do what I wanted it to do.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Along the same lines, I stopped at Out Of Doors Mart in Colfax, NC, to pick up a replacement thermostat for our 1999 Excella. The parts guy showed me one which looked similar to mine, but had a ZONE control under Mode, Fan, Up, and Down. Concerned that it might not plug-and-play we asked the resident technician. He said it would not work without replacing a major board in the Dometic Penquin, at which point I backed down.

QUESTION: can someone point me to a source for a simple replacement CCC for my old Excella?
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Member Slide Out Society

2004 28' Safari S/O
Zavalla , Texas Airstream Harbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheuer
Along the same lines, I stopped at Out Of Doors Mart in Colfax, NC, to pick up a replacement thermostat for our 1999 Excella. The parts guy showed me one which looked similar to mine, but had a ZONE control under Mode, Fan, Up, and Down. Concerned that it might not plug-and-play we asked the resident technician. He said it would not work without replacing a major board in the Dometic Penquin, at which point I backed down.

QUESTION: can someone point me to a source for a simple replacement CCC for my old Excella?
I've got a new one in the box I bought at International in Madison as a spare for my '97 Limited. Hooked it up to make sure it worked (it did) and have since sold the trailer. PM me if you're interested
Rockwell
Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheuer View Post

The 4-button CCC is NOT COMPATIBLE with the newer 5-button CCC. It IS necessary to replace the relay board in the upper unit to enable the A/C to work with the 5-button model. Not really a big deal though..........i've upgraded about 15 of these units in the past few years to work with the 5-button CCCs.

I have a call into Dometic about compatibility of the 5-button CCC with the new round CCC....haven't heard back yet.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
The 4-button CCC is NOT COMPATIBLE with the newer 5-button CCC. It IS necessary to replace the relay board in the upper unit to enable the A/C to work with the 5-button model. Not really a big deal though..........i've upgraded about 15 of these units in the past few years to work with the 5-button CCCs.

I have a call into Dometic about compatibility of the 5-button CCC with the new round CCC....haven't heard back yet.
As I suspected based on Dometic's latest protocalls, the new round CCC is also not compatible with the existing 5-button CCC. They still have a good number of 5-button CCCs in stock, but as before, any upgrade to the new model CCC will require upgrading the relay board as well.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Maybe I should carry a spare 5~button CCC....what does a 5~button CCC cost Lew?
Old 10-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
IIRC, they are under $75. I'll check with Dometic tomorrow. You can be sure (after the 4-button to 5-button change-over debacle) that I will be laying in a large supply of the 5-button units.

I must say, however, that the 5-button units are far more reliable than the 4-button units. I have not replaced many in the last 6 years.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Apologies for this rookie question.... What does CCC stand for?
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
Apologies for this rookie question.... What does CCC stand for?
Comfort Control Center
Old 10-27-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
The original units were Comfort Contol Centers. I think the 5 button models are Climate Command Consoles.
(I just made that up)
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Los Angeles , California
Thanks.... Some times I suffer from TLA syndrome.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Old 10-28-2011, 12:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Los Angeles , California
Oops.... TLA = three letter acronyms

WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Old 10-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Yes, I worked in Washington, DC for years and they ALL suffer from TLA. There's AIA (American Institute of Architects), and CSI (Construction Specification Institute, not what you first thought), and DAM (Mother's Against Dyslexia).
Old 11-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Update: Fellow Member Rockwell sold me a four-button he had from days past. Just popped off the old, non-functional one; plugged in the replacement; fired up the Furnace = HEAT! All modes and adjustments work as expected. Nice end to the tale!
Old 11-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Within the next 12 months or so (my estimate), the revered 5-button CCC will go the way of the current 4-button CCC. They have been discontinued and availability is remaining stock on hand at Dometic. They have told me that they have ample stock (for now) and that they are working on a conversion kit for their existing roof A/C units and the new CCC.

This conversion will involve replacing the existing relay board with the new board that will work with the new CCC. This was done when the 5 replaced the 4-button units.

My point; if you now have a 5-button CCC and you intend to keep your Airstream, it would be cheap insurance to purchase a new 5-button CCC while they are still available as a spare!
Old 11-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Lew,

How common a problem is it?, ours hasn't been a concern.
PM sent.

Bob
Old 11-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I haven't replaced many 5-button units. OTOH, if I had 25 of the 4-button units I could have used them all in the last 5 years due to failure of the older CCCs. I can't speculate about the longevity of the 5-button units, just looking historically at what happened with the older units and the expense folks had to deal with to get their roof A/C operational again.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheuer View Post
The parts guy showed me one which looked similar to mine, but had a ZONE control under Mode, Fan, Up, and Down.
Ours has the zone control, but only one zone. I assume the zone control ones are the 5 button ones and these are the ones being discontinued. Correct?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Ours has the zone control, but only one zone. I assume the zone control ones are the 5 button ones and these are the ones being discontinued. Correct?

Gene
Correct! Give that man a cigar!!!!!!!

Although you have only one zone being used, the 5-button CCC has a 4 zone capacity. So when you buy your 45' multi-million dollar Prevost coach, you too can have 4 separate heating and cooling zones (and YES, that means 4 roof A/C units!).