Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2021, 08:39 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Is This Normal AC Behavior?

Hi,

50 amp dual AC 2019 Flying Cloud.

I noticed if I leave my thermostat on say cooling at 85° when the temperature reaches 85° the AC seems confused and I get a weird sound and it seems to hesitate when starting up like the thermostat is saying ; on-off-on-off as the temperature fluctuates.

IF I drop it down to 80° when 85° it fires right up.

Thing is this is new behavior so with a blazing summer I'm a bit concerned.

Does this indicate anything weird or normal? Maybe park power? I have a Progressive PT50X and it says drawing 118v 17 amps while running.

Thanks!

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:44 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Normally park power issues translate into low line voltage. The EMS should fault out when that happens.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:15 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
I'm sure my problem isn't voltage...
As I said it seems to struggle turning on. Used to get the deep hum then the fan clicks on and up and running in a few seconds.

Sometimes it takes a minute of the hum before it all kicks on... I'm getting concerned with summer HERE!

It works great when up and running but is this delayed hesitating start up a concern?

Any way to rest it? Perhaps it's the thermostat....

Thanks!

Trav
Old 06-24-2021, 06:49 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Next likely issue would be a capacitor that's dying.

Bob
Old 06-24-2021, 07:15 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Next likely issue would be a capacitor that's dying.

Bob
I thought maybe...

I think that's plug and play isn't it?

I better start looking for one and a repair guy!

Thanks!

Trav
Old 06-24-2021, 07:53 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Mobile , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
I'm sure my problem isn't voltage...
As I said it seems to struggle turning on. Used to get the deep hum then the fan clicks on and up and running in a few seconds.

Sometimes it takes a minute of the hum before it all kicks on... I'm getting concerned with summer HERE!

It works great when up and running but is this delayed hesitating start up a concern?

Any way to rest it? Perhaps it's the thermostat....

Thanks!

Trav

Possibly a capacitor or one of the other start components. You can test the capacitor with a multimeter with a capacitance function. If you haven't done it before I wouldn't suggest it, capacitors hold a charge for a long time.
88Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:12 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Limited View Post
Possibly a capacitor or one of the other start components. You can test the capacitor with a multimeter with a capacitance function. If you haven't done it before I wouldn't suggest it, capacitors hold a charge for a long time.
Yep!

I know this from guitar amps! I'd hire a pro BUT worried about parts availability and probably good to have spares....

I saw one video of a different type AC but it acted like mine and was the fan capacitor... Oddly it does it mostly at 85° setting as if the thermostat is the issue....if I drop down to 80° it tends to fire up quicker...

BTW I did not get an AC manual with my AS....How do I determine which model I have? 2019 Flying Cloud 25FB 50 amp two AC.

I guess I have warranty but that's not worth much when it I want it fixed NOW as I'll only be stationary where possible service is for another 2 weeks...

Oh well...guy next to me lost the turbo on his class A. He aint moving anywhere for at least 60 days! Not a single Cummins turbo he needs to be found in US!

Thanks!

Trav
Old 06-25-2021, 12:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Have you done the manufacturer's "hard reboot" steps, as specified in the stat's manual?

Maybe unplug from shore power, wait 5 minutes, reconnect shore power, and follow the hard reboot steps? Some folks report improvement, after all the "brains" in the system can get their feet on the ground again.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:08 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Mobile , Georgia
Quote:
Yep!

I know this from guitar amps! I'd hire a pro BUT worried about parts availability and probably good to have spares....

I saw one video of a different type AC but it acted like mine and was the fan capacitor... Oddly it does it mostly at 85° setting as if the thermostat is the issue....if I drop down to 80° it tends to fire up quicker...

BTW I did not get an AC manual with my AS....How do I determine which model I have? 2019 Flying Cloud 25FB 50 amp two AC.

I guess I have warranty but that's not worth much when it I want it fixed NOW as I'll only be stationary where possible service is for another 2 weeks...

Oh well...guy next to me lost the turbo on his class A. He aint moving anywhere for at least 60 days! Not a single Cummins turbo he needs to be found in US!

Thanks!

Trav

HVAC parts are available depending on what you need, the whole supply pipeline is lagging.

If you're comfortable learning there are a ton of videos on RV AC's. To find your model/serial # you can either get on the roof and take the cover off or remove the cover from the inside. There should be a sticker in both places with that information. RV AC's are pretty simple as far as what capable owners can do to replace parts. Capacitors (generally two - one for each motor (compressor and fan) and possibly a start capacitor), relay board and a condenser/evap fan motor. That's about it before you start getting into parts that deal with refrigerant.

I would start by getting on the roof and look for loose wire and then testing your capacitors - take pictures of the wiring before you start and make sure you rewire it back the same way. While you have the cover off wash your coils (water will work fine) - basically all the regular maintenance stuff that an HVAC tech would do anyway on your RV or your home AC.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:50 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Thanks!

SO it appears it's the fan that's the issue as trying to start the fan with no AC give the same problem. So perhaps a fan capacitor.

Unfortunately I'm experiencing real bad sciatica and not comfortable getting on the roof with limited movement.....

Hopefully I can find a good repair person nearby.

Thanks!

Trav
Old 06-25-2021, 08:18 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Mobile , Georgia
Quote:
Thanks!

SO it appears it's the fan that's the issue as trying to start the fan with no AC give the same problem. So perhaps a fan capacitor.

Unfortunately I'm experiencing real bad sciatica and not comfortable getting on the roof with limited movement.....

Thanks!

Trav

Yep! Sounds like a bad fan capacitor. If you can't find an RV AC guy look for smaller residential HVAC companies or even a handy neighbor. Replacing a capacitor is not difficult - all power off, short the capacitor to drain it's charge and replace it. Make sure you get the numbers off the old capacitor and get a replacement that's exactly the same. If there are two capacitors in the system the fan capacitor will be the smaller of the two.

Edit: I know I said handy neighbor, honestly go with a company - you'll pay more but you'll also know it was done correctly and if they do it wrong they're liable (that's what their business insurance is for). If you're handy neighbor get's it wrong you're both out and you'll be mad at your neighbor.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:20 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thanks!

Thanks!

Trav
Hi

Pretty much everything in the A/C involves getting up on the roof. If you have any reservations about doing so, don't start that process. You don't want to get the unit part way torn down and find you are unable to complete the process.

Bob
Old 06-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
I'm having trouble finding the capacitor in stock. Camping World the only one that even had it in their catalog and says discontinued...

Back on hold with AS bit meanwhile is there any go-to RV parts supplier I should try?

Looks like part# 3313107.006

Thanks!

Trav
Old 06-25-2021, 12:06 PM   #14
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Quote:
BTW, I did not get an AC manual with my AS.... How do I determine which model I have?
Remove the interior air box cover and you will find the model & serial number.

All the above comments and caveats apply; Domestic Duo-Therm part -
a private source:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124580471854
a retail source:
https://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-...45-15-mfd.html

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:15 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Remove the interior air box cover and you will find the model & serial number.

All the above comments and caveats apply; Domestic Duo-Therm part -
a private source:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124580471854
a retail source:
https://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-...45-15-mfd.html
Thanks!

I found Dyers and they had a few and will ship today!

Now I gotta find a guy to install or hope my back heals up....

Trav
Old 06-25-2021, 06:44 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Well!

After looking bleak by calling all the local RV shops I found the capacitor, ordered it and it's already shipped.

Then found a tech who frequents the park I'm at and he came right over and diagnosed, agreeing with the pros here!

He'll come by on Tuesday or Wednesday and fix 'er up.

Best part is in the midst of a heat wave the highs this week will be in the 70°s!

I was lamenting the fact I blew it and did not prepare to have a spot for July 4th and ended up getting a rather expensive but nice spot in Santa Fe. If I hadn't I doubt I would have been able to address this for weeks if then base don my upcoming schedule...or lack thereof!

Thanks everyone!

Trav
Old 06-25-2021, 07:00 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Mobile , Georgia
Quote:
Well!

After looking bleak by calling all the local RV shops I found the capacitor, ordered it and it's already shipped.

Then found a tech who frequents the park I'm at and he came right over and diagnosed, agreeing with the pros here!

He'll come by on Tuesday or Wednesday and fix 'er up.

Best part is in the midst of a heat wave the highs this week will be in the 70°s!

I was lamenting the fact I blew it and did not prepare to have a spot for July 4th and ended up getting a rather expensive but nice spot in Santa Fe. If I hadn't I doubt I would have been able to address this for weeks if then base don my upcoming schedule...or lack thereof!

Thanks everyone!

Trav

Awesome! Glad it's taken care of!