Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Hertford , North Carolina
is the Suburban NT32C any good (revcon MH)

First, i hope no one minds my non-airstream presence here. But the Revcon motor-home is a descendant.

Mine came with very low miles and not much use. We know the PO went to Miami from NC every year so it appears the furnace was never used. It looks pristine inside. Shiny black baffles, almost no rust.

So here's my question- is this a good unit and are people still using them?

Would i regret getting rid of it?

I was given a late 90's Mallard travel trailer to salvage- leaky piece of junk- but it came with a nice Coleman HVAC system- integrated Atwood 25K BTU furnace and big roof air.

I would grateful for anyone's insight.

Dave Silva

It would be very cool to have the whole thing transferred to the Revcon but I can't decide about the furnace.

As the Atwood uses electronic ignition and the Suburban uses a pilot, i'm not sure the digital thermostat can be made to drive it.
hertfordnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
"The Revcon motorhome dates back to 1968, when a man named John Hall conceived the idea of a low-profile, front-drive coach with a lightweight aluminum monocoque body. This was not entirely a coincidence since John was the stepson of Wally Byam of Airstream Trailer fame."

Yes, you are definitely related, Dave.

Suburbans are still used in Airstream trailers, and the modern Atwoods and Suburbans appear very similar under the hood. They do a good job warming Airstreamers, it seems.

It sounds like your Sub' is in good shape. I'm willing to wager that moving the integrated system from the Mallard could be more work than you can imagine.

So why go looking for trouble? Fire up the one that's in the Revcon and see how it runs. Keep life simple, so you can travel more.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:42 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Hertford , North Carolina
Thanks.

I'm definately leaning in the direction of leaving the burb furnace. It's just so much beafier than the new one. The question for the experts is, are there many parts that wear out with age alone, as opposed to usage?

I know this will be hard to get parts for, but the metal parts are probably going to last a long time.

I'm not crazy about having a pilot lit all the time.

As for the rest of the HVAC system, swapping the roof air and adding the digital thermostat will be a nice upgrade, worth the effort. I live in NC. We like our Air conditioning and I'd liek it to regulate itself.

Whether or not the same thermostat can be made to control the Suburban is another challenge.

thanks

Dave
hertfordnc is offline   Reply With Quote