Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Durango , Colorado
Is the furnace necessary?

When I bought my Airstream, the furnace was missing, the ducting was still there and so was the box that I assume the furnace sat in? I undertook a huge remodel project and every I pull one thing out... I find more to do and pull out... it's almost empty now... lol. Including stripping the vinyl off the walls. Anyway, in the process of trying to get all the gross carpeting out... I pulled the duct work out (just one piece and easy to put back) but I'm wondering if I truly need it. I have a infrared heater that heats quite nicely, plan on putting heating tape on anything that might freeze... just wondering if I need the furnace... has anyone opted out of the furnace? They are pretty expensive to replace and require some modifications.
stacyrwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
The furnace will help keep your tanks from freezing when the temps drop unexpectedly. I don't think your area heater would help that at all. Additionally, the area heater won't help you (or a future owner) when boondocking.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
When we bought our '65 Caravel, the furnace had been removed. The replacement catalytic does a fine job when needed, however, it can not be used when the goucho is pulled our at bedtime.

Our '83 has a forced air furnace which is great for taking the chill off in the morning or upon returning in the evening. It also did a great job of keeping everything, tanks included, from freezing when it never got above 20 degrees for three days at South Padre Island in February two years ago. It was a freak cold storm, but odd things do happen.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
After camping with no hookups in our 29' and using the furnace only to have battery issues, and using an Olympian in our 34' while boondocking-
we elected to NOT install a furnace in our '63.

We will add an Olympian but for now we use a Big Buddy Mr. Heater to knock off the morning chill (it's rated for indoor use). I know some folks disagree with the Cat heaters but that's how we do it. I also KNOW that the next folks to buy the '63 are gonna say...'WHAT? NO HEATER?"
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
You live in Durango CO and would consider no furnace? You are a braver man than me.

Even if you don't use it much yourself, I believe that the resale value or ability to resell it would suffer greatly without one. Others have pointed that out, of course, I am just reinforcing it.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Durango , Colorado
I'm going to have A heater...& I bought it without a heater (so what are you saying... &#128521... But im getting the consensus to buy a furnace. Don't plan on boon docking any time soon. At least I have a few months to save... Other things take priority for now.
stacyrwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Our furnace is a wonderful part of our Airstream!
Can't imagine life without it.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I am happy with no furnace. We use a little heater cube that keeps us toasty int the low 30s. no propane gas death to worry about either.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
cold and winter

If you plan on taking your "new to you" baby out in areas that get really cold, or if you plan on camping on mountains that might be cold, you will want that furnace. It is good for keeping those pipes that run under the floor and such warm enough to not freeze. We have a heat strip in the AC that keeps the chill away in the living area if we need it. But we carry a small electric heater that does a great job of heating the whole AS if we are plugged into power. But that would not take care of the plumbing issue..hence the furnace gets used as needed.
Good luck with your remodel job!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The NT -22 furnace in my trailer was not safe so I removed it. After lots of reading on the forum and talking with people I decided to not try to replace it. In Mississippi we don't have a lot of really cold WX and if we do I'm not going camping. We use one or two small electrics if we are at a campground and a Mr. Buddy propane if I'm at the farm. Either heaters will keep use cozy down to the hi 20's I keep the microwave in the cabinet where the furnace was.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
While running an LP gas furnace, you can flat the battery relatively quickly, or just plain run out of gas.

Or if you are travelling, a good 120V connection may or may not be available.

Well, I don't like getting cold unnecessarily, so I replaced the original Suburban heater last summer, and we keep a good portable electric heater in Henri the Sov.

MMmmmmmmmmMMmmMmm... Toasty warm at the beginning and end of the season!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
In addition to the furnace, our '83 also has an Olympian, and we carry a small electric which we use much of the time. If we get into a cold trailer, on comes the furnace. In a very short time the living area is warm and on goes the small electric.

The small electric can be moved to the rear bath for use on cool evenings.

We have used the Olympian only a couple of times.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

I dry camp in the Pennsylvania area. No hook ups

One Fourth of July in got down to 28 degrees at night. While it is true that the blower in the furnace can deplete the battery in a night or two, All I really need the furnace to do is heat the trailer so the bedding is warm when I go to bed. Once I get under the blankets, I turn the heat way down. Body heat from me and the dogs, keeps me warm enough. The furnace also dries the camper out very quickly. I would suggest replacing the furnace, for camping and traveling versatility, and for resale reasons.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Terrace , British Columbia
I am going with one of these.

I am gonna go with one of these instead of our old furnace.
DickinsonMarine.com - Propane Fireplaces
jonplayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:28 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Dont let the price scare you....I was quoted $825 for the larger model.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Jon, It's not the price that scares me

I am wondering how warm the camper could get, with the windows open enough to not get dead. On average, eight people a year, die using a propane heater heater in an RV. Granted, i have little experience, but I woke up with a headache, even though a window was opened.
Those units claimed to be sealed, seems like a good design. They look very nice. I wonder how much electricity they eat.
The stoves look GREAT!!!!!! ( Is Corporate Airstream listening???)
Old 06-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
I woke up with a headache, even though a window was opened.
You may want to check the furnace exhaust in that case to make sure there's no clog or leak. AND make sure the windows on the side with the furnace exhaust are closed so exhaust doesn't come back in the windows. You shouldn't need more than one window cracked open, and that should be on the side opposite the furnace so there's no way wind can blow the furnace exhaust back into the trailer.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Hey Protagonist

It was a non vented portable heater. I gave it to a hunter, for outdoor use, which is how it was intended to be used.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
I've removed the furnace, rebuilt the cabinet and now have lots of usable storage space. A small elec heater works just fine. On really cold nights on goes the Big
Buddy to take the chill off. And sometimes in the morning. On my way to Fla in Jan
there was a 3 day freeze in Chattanooga. No problems. Generally I try to head north, sort o,f in the summer and south, sort of, in the winter.
tarnished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
They are very safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
I am wondering how warm the camper could get, with the windows open enough to not get dead. On average, eight people a year, die using a propane heater heater in an RV. Granted, i have little experience, but I woke up with a headache, even though a window was opened.
Those units claimed to be sealed, seems like a good design. They look very nice. I wonder how much electricity they eat.
The stoves look GREAT!!!!!! ( Is Corporate Airstream listening???)

These particular fireplaces are very safe. They are designed for use on boats.
They have a unique double walled chimney in which the combustion is drawn from outside....so... best of all you get a safe "DRY" heat.

As far as keeping up with a big furnace. Not to sure if it will the Btu's are alot less on the dickenson. I don't think they draw much...it is just a small fan.

From what I have heard they work great!