Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Portland , Oregon
Is it legal to install AC unit on your own

As the title states I’m getting ready to install my Houghton AC in a 68 ambassador. Instructions say I need someone “licensed” to do the work. Is it technically illegal to do it myself? Will that get me in trouble with insurance or inspections later on? I’m in Oregon if that helps...

Thanks in advance
zen_stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
What document are you quoting? Does the issuing organization have legal status?
Installation requirements, like zoning rules, vary widely. Check the Oregon statutes online.
More likely, it is CYA from the manufacturer.
I will qualify this by saying that if you are filling or releasing refrigerants, that is more likely to be covered by a general (EPA) requirement. A roof top unit is not different from a residential window unit.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Can't see why it would be illegal. So long as you are competent and confident in your own work, there should be no legal liability unless you were grossly negligent and it causes an accident.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ASAC.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	380936
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen_stream View Post
As the title states I’m getting ready to install my Houghton AC in a 68 ambassador. Instructions say I need someone “licensed” to do the work. Is it technically illegal to do it myself? Will that get me in trouble with insurance or inspections later on? I’m in Oregon if that helps...

Thanks in advance
Sounds like the usual manufacture disclaimer in an installation manual. As far as I know, an owner can do any repair or upgrade desired to an RV without repercussions.
IdahoTrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2016 23' International
Los Angeles , California
I’d be interested to know what agency issues these ‘licenses’

My dometic installation manual says something to the degree of “installation must be done in accordance with RIVA guidelines or local residential codes”.

Just follow the instructions and you should be fine.
Seanlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
We installed our AC ourselves. We hired a licensed AC guy to do the start up so as not to void the warranty as stated in the paperwork. That was on a mini split. A roof top unit may not require any licensed person for warranty concerns.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Curious about the Houghton unit. What I've found online shows its made in Australia. Has it been converted from 240v 50Hz to 120v 60Hz?.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
The “licensed” component is legal-ease boilerplate language. There are many DIY-er installed RV AC units out on the road these days. The “licensed”, or perhaps more appropriate “qualified” term should apply if someone is breaking into a system. Otherwise save yourself some cash and pickup a new skill at the same time.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:12 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Vintage View Post
Curious about the Houghton unit. What I've found online shows its made in Australia. Has it been converted from 240v 50Hz to 120v 60Hz?.

Yes. 120v 60h
Old 10-15-2020, 05:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Portland , Oregon
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1725.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	380956 here’s the specs if you’re interested
Old 10-15-2020, 05:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
You should not be breaking any law by installing the unit yourself.

It sounds like the typical Manufacturers Warranty requirement. Perhaps this is so they can limit their liability if there is a warranty issue.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
The “licensed” component is legal-ease boilerplate language. There are many DIY-er installed RV AC units out on the road these days. The “licensed”, or perhaps more appropriate “qualified” term should apply if someone is breaking into a system. Otherwise save yourself some cash and pickup a new skill at the same time.
You’re probably right. I’m not so sure a lot of RV DIYers are just as qualified as some AC technicians I’ve met. It’s not rocket science to install a roof unit. In our case, installing a mini split in an RV, even if something failed due to the manufacturer, is doubtful anything would still be under warranty. A mini installed in a moving object would probably void the warranty anyway.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
https://www.epa.gov/section608/secti...ertification-0

A non-sealed system like a standard home residential system most certainly requires an EPA card. Distribution will not sell directly to the public for this reason.

A fully contained and charged small unit system where the installer has no need to add or remove refrigerant is typically a bit different (think window unit) and falls outside this.

However, if you are removing a current unit you may be legally required to dispose of in a manner such that the refrigerant in it can be vacuumed and reclaimed.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:41 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Curtis Wright
San Marcos , Texas
Send a message via AIM to kevinkatz
why the Houghton?

i am intrigued that you have found this airconditioner and are installing it. Are you in the USA? why this unit as opposed to others on the market? Is it readily available? It looks nice.
kevinkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
HVAC license

My guess is that HVAC/ Refrigeration license mostly has to do with refrigerant gas handling and disposal to ensure that greenhouse gases are not released into the atmosphere. Is your unit self contained or does it entail a compressor/condenser unit with a separate evaporator unit which if installed incorrectly would release greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. I think anyone can install a self contained AC, think home window AC, anyone can put it in a window and plug it in.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
My guess is that HVAC/ Refrigeration license mostly has to do with refrigerant gas handling and disposal to ensure that greenhouse gases are not released into the atmosphere. Is your unit self contained or does it entail a compressor/condenser unit with a separate evaporator unit which if installed incorrectly would release greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. I think anyone can install a self contained AC, think home window AC, anyone can put it in a window and plug it in.
No, not greenhouse gasses.
Ozone depleting gasses.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:47 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The rule is designed to protect your safety. You are working with a potential bomb. But here is the wrinkle. You CAN install the unit as long as you do not access, touch, test, the refrigerant at any time. You can not use a torch on the unit or hook anyhing to the refrigerant lines also you can not do anything to the control wiring. You can not bend any of the piping. This is a bomb you are working on so be mindfull that it can kill you. That is what it is about for the refrigerant.
Now for the electric: If you have to ask any questions you should not do the wiring. If you think you know the wiring just be aware that WIRENUTS are not approved for mobile applications. I know some RV manufactures use them but they are still not approved for power wiring. They can loosen up and fall off and burn your rig down. There are crimp connectors that work many times safer if you use the proper certified crimp tool. Don't do it right and burn your rig down. I do a lot of serious DIY stuff myself but I am smart enough to know when to let the professional earn his pay. Good Luck with the A/C unit. It is not that hard of a job if you are strong, young, and agile. Don't forget to add the soft start kit when the unit is on the ground. It will be of great value when you are having fun with the aid of a generator.
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote