Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
International CCD insulation?

My wife and I have narrowed our A/S selection to a 22' or 23' Internatonal CCD - either the Ocean Breeze or the Paprika design. Now, we just have to find the trailer. Today we spent time at a mini rally where several A/S owners were wrapping up the '07 'streamin year before putting their trailer away for the winter. In talking with the owners, several of them stated their problem (dislike) with the CCD we were interested in was that it lacked the insulation of most A/S. The aluminum exterior, being riveted to the stuctural ribs and then more aluminum on the interior also riveted to the same ribs transferred the exterior COLD directly to the interior. They told us the CCD was very difficult to heat when the outside temperatures dropped into the lower temps. IS THIS TRUE??? Did A/S not insulate the CCD as well as other models? Has it been anyones experience that these are, indeed, colder interiors than other A/S? Is this a noticeable problem that we can expect? We're not looking to drain our propane tanks trying to stay warm. Any light anyone can shed on this topic would be greatly appreciated. I don't feel we can trust the A/S salesman to give us a straight answer as he/she does have a vested interest in our purchasing the trailer.

Thank you for any advise or information you can shed on this topic.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I believe the CCD has the SAME INSULATION as the Classic and the Safari. The difference is the CCD does not have the padded walls and fuzzy ceilings which tends to create additional insulating properties.

I prefer the shiny, clean walls and ceilings and am willing to forego any percieved insulation. I can wear a sweater if I get cold .
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim

\\ SNIP //

In talking with the owners, several of them stated their problem (dislike) with the CCD we were interested in was that it lacked the insulation of most A/S.

They told us the CCD was very difficult to heat when the outside temperatures dropped into the lower temps. IS THIS TRUE??? Did A/S not insulate the CCD as well as other models?

We're not looking to drain our propane tanks trying to stay warm.

Thank you for any advise or information you can shed on this topic.
the CCD is insulated the same as any other modern 'dream stream.

if your using full hookups, use an electric heater (the interior of the CCD has electric plugs), not the propane; or if boondocking i use a 1000 btu cat heater to save $$$ on propane, but i'm thrifty. example: while camping in daytime temps of 18 degrees, and nightime temps of 9 degrees, you can keep my 25 foot CCD at 72 degrees w/ a 1500 watt ceramic electric heater set to the low setting... (i do however set the furnace to 40 degrees to keep the tanks and water lines from freezing, and let it run once in a while)

if your totally freaked out:

a) move to so / bi california, we rally 12 months out of the year and don't need to "winterize".

or

b) buy a big white fiberglass box, and do whatever it is they do...

just sayin,

kevbo
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
_

. , .
cosmo' correct...

all still have the same pink stuff in the walls...

and the skin in NOT directly connected to the ribs and inner walls nemore...

there is a thin rubber/butyl thermal break between ribs and skin...

i'm not sure it does much, but it is there...

regardless the mouse fur and foam/vinyl are warmer to touch and do not develop condensation...

cold/heat via trailer/human skin conduction is apparent

which does happen on windows and bare aluminum inner skins...

acoustics are also different...

besides it scares me to see my reflection inside and at nite in my birthday suit!!!

mr an mrs cosmotini are much more attractive naked!

cheers
2air'

and surely everyone has heard of shrinkage!

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
mr an mrs cosmotini are much more attractive naked!
... aw 2air, you SWORE you wouldn't tell!
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
... aw 2air, you SWORE you wouldn't tell!

Attached Images

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Pilgrim. I have to agree with just about everything said so far except about 2air's comment on Mr. and Mrs. cosmotini; I don't know them. My opinion is that the Safari with the padded walls and ceilings and the smaller windows are much more practical, but the CCd's with Ocean Breeze are really neat and stylish. Maybe you could special order a CCD with padded ceiling or mouse fur walls [ as 2air calls it] as a happy medium.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Dream Streamin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, Pilgrim. I have to agree with just about everything said so far except about 2air's comment on Mr. and Mrs. cosmotini; I don't know them. My opinion is that the Safari with the padded walls and ceilings and the smaller windows are much more practical, but the CCd's with Ocean Breeze are really neat and stylish. Maybe you could special order a CCD with padded ceiling or mouse fur walls [ as 2air calls it] as a happy medium.
*rolling eyes*

mr robert who gives such good americana advice... which i take, and you're always spot on...

HOWEVER

i disagree, i actually own a CCD, which i'm using every two or three weeks...

why pay the extra money for the CCD if you're going to do that? add mouse fur or whatever, and those cute little rv windows that open 6" on the bottom...

just screws up the whole CCD design... which is far superior to the safari line. IMHO

why not special order the CCD w/o any windows at all, and insulation glued to the roof...

as your drywall contractor, i'll sheetrock the interior for free, even add a nice hand texture for acoustic properties...

i'll charge though for the green shag carpeting... but look at it this way, it adds insulating R value... you'll save on propane...

kevin

contact me here: DrywallConstruction.com - Drywall & Interior Plaster information page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redneck-rv.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	47744  
Old 10-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Kevbo. I agree to disagree with you. I like my little windows and we vertually never open them. If we want fresh air, we open the same door that you have and go outside. As for "far superior" I doubt that; My trailer cost about half as much as your's and will go anywhere your's can go, cook anything your's can cook, shower as well as your's can do, sleep as well as your's can do, protect us inside just as well as your's can, and will last just as long as your's will. Far superior, absolutly not. Prettier, maybe.
As for the "Hemi" thing, My Lincoln has as much of a Hemi as your Dodge has; The real Hemi's are a thing of the past except for some new, old design, crate motors from Mopar. Have a nice day my cowboy friend.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:28 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Pilgrim,

Hit the road to JC. Have you taken the plant tour yet? It's run Monday-Friday at 2pm. I can't recall them mentioning any differences on insulation between the models. Personally we like the shiny aluminum interior. It makes for a nice ambience in the evenings. While the classic padded interior is nice for acoustics, we hadn't plan on using it for surround sound events and it would tend to pick up odors anyhow, and if you have a leak, mildew!

Cheers,

Doug
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, Kevbo. I agree to disagree with you. I like my little windows and we vertually never open them. If we want fresh air, we open the same door that you have and go outside. As for "far superior" I doubt that; My trailer cost about half as much as your's and will go anywhere your's can go, cook anything your's can cook, shower as well as your's can do, sleep as well as your's can do, protect us inside just as well as your's can, and will last just as long as your's will. Far superior, absolutly not. Prettier, maybe.
As for the "Hemi" thing, My Lincoln has as much of a Hemi as your Dodge has; The real Hemi's are a thing of the past except for some new, old design, crate motors from Mopar. Have a nice day my cowboy friend.
GOT YA!!!

kevbo
Old 10-21-2007, 08:02 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think any CCD should be fine as all Airstreams are insulated. The CCD in particular has the better windows, so leaks are not as common, like the non CCD units of similar size. I found that after I fixed my non-CCD windows myself my fuel consuption for the furnace went down. IMHO, the windows and doors have the most leakage than most any other thing on the Airstream. Buying a CCD with the better sealing windows will clearly cut your heating losses by 25%.

Oh and go with the larger of the two. Why? Few folks can say my Airstream (or any RV) has too much storage, too much space, etc...unless you have a 30+ foot unit. Most of us that went smaller have typically gone a bit bigger down the road. At 23' you'd be in the middle.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:48 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Sugar Grove , Ohio
I thank each and everyone of you for your comments. YES, we have been through JC - and I recall his comments about insulation and he didn't differentiate between the models. I assumed all were the same. The comments we heard from the rally group yesterday is what got us to thinking maybe they knew something we didn't. I'm thinking they were commenting based on their feelings about the CCD - they didn't care for it and came up with their own reasons, perhaps. We like the shiny interior - the clean look -the designer look of the CCD very much. We also like the 23' being two feet less than a 25'. Easier to maneuver, tow, and lighter for our TV. But, much harder to find "used". Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
I've seen plenty of used Classics and Safaris, but the used International seems to elude most of the classified ads.

Doug
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Pilgrim,
We started with a CCD 22 then found out people actually full-time in Airstreams. Wow, we didn't know about that. We agree completely with you, we love the shiny interior. We like the easy-clean aspect of all the surfaces and the light reflectance inside is very cool -- one candle anywhere shows up everywhere. We moved up to the 25 last year -- found one a dealer had never gotten around to selling and it was surprisingly in excellent shape -- I guess it didn't get enough traffic.

We are full-timing and the CCD 25 is perfect. We heat with a ceramic heater when on shore power. We maintain temp with catalytic heater otherwise. We are adding a 1/2" thick X 12" high upholstered pad along the headwall of the bed so my hand and wrist don't get cool resting against the headwall. Just the way I sleep on my side with one arm under my head I end up with one hand resting on the wall of the trailer -- it's chilly sometimes. EAsy to fix, will match the Silver Linen upholstery of the mattress cover and the sofa. Hopefully it will look better than new. If not, we'll do something else.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Sugar Grove , Ohio
DreamStreamer -
Sounds like a great solution. We keep looking and looking and looking. I've seen hundreds of A/S for sale - lots of 16' and 30' but NEVER a 22' or 23' CCD. We would purchase it practically sight unseen if we could find it but they are not to be found. Lots of Safari models for sale but not the CCD. I have found vintage A/S but that would be a lot like purchasing a vintage automobile and we plan to puts a lot of miles on our trailer and new TV. Our list of places to visit continues to grow. Our plan continues to be to keep looking for a used CCD and if nothing comes up between now and April, we'll purchase a new CCD ('07 or '08). In the meantime, we will continue to save our $$ until that time arrives. THANK YOU for your comments. Full timing must be a kick!!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
We have experienced some cold weather (28-30 degree nights) camping in a 19' CCD Bambi, and found the metal interior to be a definite disadvantage. The walls were cold enough to sweat to the point where it soaked some bedding. Also, you had to make sure there was something between you and the wall, beacuse you didn't want to roll over against it at night-it was cold enough to wake you up! I ended up trading places with my wife so I was against the wall, and then we started making up the dinette so that we had two beds and neither of us had to sleep against the metal walls. The fuzzy wall material in a standard Safari is preferable if you are going to be in cold conditions very often. We have tried both, and since we like to camp in colder weather, we would avoid buying a CCD for these reasons.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:19 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Sugar Grove , Ohio
RC
Very, very interesting....I think that is the best info I've heard. I think you make some very good points that are worth considering - especially the rolling against the COLD wall during the night. That would bring you awake
in no time, wouldn't it??? Hmmm, need to think about this very carefully.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Martin , Georgia
Get the 23'. We started with a 19" CCD and traded for a 25" CCD less than a year later. Had we got a 23' to start with we would have never traded.
Dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Another option if you like the aluminum interior walls but like the Safari design better than the CCD is to get a Safari SE which is sort of a hybrid between the two...it has the Safari interior package but with the aluminum interior walls. We love the non-fuzzy interior, btw...(we used to have an SOB with the cloth ceiling and didn't like the way it got dirty over time...so we opted for the aluminum interior)...

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote