Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2021, 05:31 AM   #1
Fr Jeff

1989 29' Excella
Saginaw , Michigan
Insufficient Furnace Heat

1989 Excella 29:
I believe we have the original furnace in our unit.
Thermostat properly controls the unit; furnace fan comes on, furnace ignites (super hot exhaust from outside vents) and air is blowing from ducts.
However, the duct air is not hot; it is barely warm.
The exterior vent exhaust is too hot to hold hand there very long.

What might be be the problem? Seems like it should blow interior heat which is far warmer than we are getting.Gratitude for any ideas offered.

2016 F150 Ecoboost
1989 Excella 29
frjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 05:37 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Haven't looked at your setup but might be time to explore the connections from the furnace to the vents.

Example, mine has a fabric flex hose and I found a hole in the fabric. Maybe yours has split, torn, or something. And a cell phone can take a look and take a pic for you in many cases.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Also could be excessively dirty and corroded heating tubes in the Furnace air handler. The heat transfer from the burner exhaust to the duct air sounds low.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:24 AM   #4
Fr Jeff

1989 29' Excella
Saginaw , Michigan
Did the Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Haven't looked at your setup but might be time to explore the connections from the furnace to the vents.

Example, mine has a fabric flex hose and I found a hole in the fabric. Maybe yours has split, torn, or something. And a cell phone can take a look and take a pic for you in many cases.
Pulled off cabinet access panel and found the furnace metal front panel (which is actually one side of the “plenum” that allows access to the firebox, etc) was loose (one screw missing and other not tight). Thus, the furnace was blowing air which was entering the “plenum” from the AS interior (cold) mixed with a bit of heated air. Duct hoses all appear fine.

Tightened it down and BINGO, HOT air blowing through the ductwork.

Off to the hardware where I will buy some foam gasket material to make that panel even more air-tight.

My gratitude for a simple but perfect bit of advice!!

2016 F150 Ecoboost
1989 Excella 29
frjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Oh nice, I didn't think about how forced cold air might be bypassing the fire tubes. that would better explain both the cool vent air and the hot exhaust. Thanks for the feedback, and thanks to GC for heading you down the leaking air path!
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:34 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Fr. Jeff,

COOL, oops I mean HOT AIR! Glad a simple fix got things toasty again.

I have actually recorded the discharge air temp as a ref and posted it inside my furnace access door. IIRC it's 160 degrees F. Last outing it was only 100 but sounded "OK". I pulled burner, looked good, but a stink bug found a home and I thing maybe some Jr stinkys tried to find shelter behind the orifice restricting the gas flow. Removed carcasses from orifice and it's back to 160.

Glad you fixed it.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:56 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Mobile , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by frjeff View Post
Pulled off cabinet access panel and found the furnace metal front panel (which is actually one side of the “plenum” that allows access to the firebox, etc) was loose (one screw missing and other not tight). Thus, the furnace was blowing air which was entering the “plenum” from the AS interior (cold) mixed with a bit of heated air. Duct hoses all appear fine.

Tightened it down and BINGO, HOT air blowing through the ductwork.

Off to the hardware where I will buy some foam gasket material to make that panel even more air-tight.

My gratitude for a simple but perfect bit of advice!!
frjeff, Awesome that you found the problem. While you're working on the door take a good close look at the heat exchanger. Look for any cracks etc. If the heat exchanger is cracked it needs replacing as it's dumping carbon monoxide into your living space. Carbon monoxide will kill you in your sleep.
I'm an hvac tech by trade - have a 1988 Limited. The heat exchanger on mine is still in good condition and I'm dreading when it's time for a replacement as they don't make a direct fit one any more, I have three ports on the outside of my trailer. Everything now is two...
88Limited is offline   Reply With Quote