Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Installation Question - Carrier AirV Low-Profle

Alright, I've gotten a couple of individual opinions already, but I'm opening this question up to the collective wisdom of the message board.

I'm about to install my new Carrier AirV low-profile 15K BTU w/heat strip, and the unit comes with a thick foam rubber gasket already adhered to the bottom of the basepan. The instructions say to place the upper unit over the opening, and then bolt the lower unit into it from below. The instructions say that once the pre-attached gasket is compressed to 60% of its original thickness, evenly all the way around of course, then you're done.

So my question is, should any additional sealant be used? The options seem to be Vulkem, butyl tape, or RV putty tape. To be of any additional benefit, any of these would have to be applied onto the existing, pre-attached foam rubber gasket.

The instructions don't state that ANY additional sealant is to be used, so does anyone think that there are advantages/disadvantages to adding some type of additional sealant? Would any of the potential sealants actually attack the foam rubber and damage the gasket?

Any feedback is much appreciated, I plan on tackling this today.

Thanks!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Alright, I've gotten a couple of individual opinions already, but I'm opening this question up to the collective wisdom of the message board.

I'm about to install my new Carrier AirV low-profile 15K BTU w/heat strip, and the unit comes with a thick foam rubber gasket already adhered to the bottom of the basepan. The instructions say to place the upper unit over the opening, and then bolt the lower unit into it from below. The instructions say that once the pre-attached gasket is compressed to 60% of its original thickness, evenly all the way around of course, then you're done.

So my question is, should any additional sealant be used? The options seem to be Vulkem, butyl tape, or RV putty tape. To be of any additional benefit, any of these would have to be applied onto the existing, pre-attached foam rubber gasket.

The instructions don't state that ANY additional sealant is to be used, so does anyone think that there are advantages/disadvantages to adding some type of additional sealant? Would any of the potential sealants actually attack the foam rubber and damage the gasket?

Thanks!
-Marcus
We installed the same unit on our AS and followed the instructions to the T. We did not use any additional sealant and have had absolutely zero leaks or issues. We just made sure we cleaned the area where the gasket comes in contact with the skin of the trailer very well and we used mineral spirits and then followed by soap and water and dried it thoroughly. The old AC unit had the same gasket and no other sealant was used, nor were there any leaks.

Hopefully, this answers your question.
Thanks,

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post

Thanks!
-Marcus

NO!

There is no reason to use any additional sealant on a roof air's gasket when it is properly seated and tightened. On ocassion, I use a second gasket, specifically when installing a remote drip kit on a Dometic Penguin....but NO SEALANTS!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I figured that would be the response, just wanted to make sure.

As usual, the Forum comes through.

Thanks again,
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote