Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2024, 06:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Owens cross roads , Alabama
Install of soft start

Has anyone installed a soft start and what did you choose? How is it going for you now?
Campndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 07:08 PM   #2
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
I just installed one today on my MH. I held off for a long time because I didn't like how much they were charging and I didn't really need one. I recently heard about this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WHDXDYG...roduct_details only $150 and good reviews. Someone on another forum installed one and loves it. They are made in Australia and the US seller is Inverters R Us in Reno with great telephone support. So for $150 I said why not?

The install was simple, you simply intercept the Run, Start and Common wires to the compressor and put the unit in-line. My initial test was to see if the startup "thump" went away which it did. I'm a light sleeper and that thump always wakes me unless I leave the fan on all the time. That alone makes it worth it.

My next test will be seeing how it runs the 13.5K AC unit on my old Honda eu2000i here at 2,200 feet (on gas). I am optimistic that it will, even though the Honda will be maxed out.
Old 06-11-2024, 06:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I choose the Micro Air Easy Start with Bluetooth, installed it without too much trouble, and it works fine. My second Easy Start and have had no problems with them. I just did not look into the alternatives when I made this last purchase.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 07:19 AM   #4
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I've also got the MicroAir...

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...45618949193942

To me it's the gold standard by which the others are measured. The Bluetooth and app gives lots of extra information and customization.

Installation was simple - hardest part was setting up a safe way to work in the roof.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8 'Bert'
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser 'The Bus' (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 07:41 AM   #5
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I've also got the MicroAir...

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...45618949193942

To me it's the gold standard by which the others are measured. The Bluetooth and app gives lots of extra information and customization.

Installation was simple - hardest part was setting up a safe way to work in the roof.
On the Micro air do you bypass your start capacitor or leave it in the circuit?
Old 06-11-2024, 08:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Softstart on your AC or a portable Softstart plug?

Seems the portable "softstart" type plug may be a better investment all around from what I have seen on Youtube videos? Mine is hardwired from Softstart, but if I were looking again, the portable model can be taken with you (if you sell your AS), works with generator or campground power with safeguards. Anyone else looking at these?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 09:17 AM   #7
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Well here are my results from this morning running the 13.5K AC unit off a Honda eu2000i at 2,200 feet elevation:

The Honda struggled to start the unit and voltage dropped in and out several times before it finally came up to speed. This was with Eco throttle "OFF"

Next I switched the fan to "ON" and with the fan already running the Honda had no problem starting the AC unit, also with Eco throttle "OFF"

Next I tried it with the fan running first but Eco throttle switched "ON" and the compressor struggled and power dipped about 2-3 times before it was up to speed.

My conclusion is that the Micro Air is definitely a superior unit, with it's built in compressor delay it allows the fan to start first, thus lowering the initial total startup current and eliminating the need to keep the blower fan on constantly. The Micro Air also has a built in 3 minute compressor delay in case of power interruptions which is nice because then you don't need the long delay on your EMS which leaves your entire rig without power instead of just the AC.

I am still within my return window but I'm not sure if I want to do that. Like I said, I don't really need the soft start, I can't even forsee a situation where I will be taking the Honda along. The AC runs fine on my on board 3,200 diesel generator but it is loud and smelly, however we only run it while driving down the road where that isn't an issue. For me the biggest advantage of going with the Micro Air is the two compressor delay functions.

One thing I wonder though, with the Micro Air and it's ability to learn, do you think if I switched to the Micro Air it would enable me to start the AC with the Honda on Eco mode?

In conclusion, given what I now know, I would have chosen the Micro Air first. But I can get by with the Spartan due to my limited needs for a soft start to begin with.
Old 06-11-2024, 10:03 AM   #8
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
...One thing I wonder though, with the Micro Air and it's ability to learn, do you think if I switched to the Micro Air it would enable me to start the AC with the Honda on Eco mode?

In conclusion, given what I now know, I would have chosen the Micro Air first. But I can get by with the Spartan due to my limited needs for a soft start to begin with.
I can't remember about the start capacitor, but I believe so. Here's a link to the installation guides - scroll down to RV section and choose your brand. Their instructions and YouTube videos are very good.

https://www.micro-air.com/kb-easysta...stallation.htm

Will it help in this situation? Can't say for sure, but it helps us a lot when we're plugged into a 15-amp outlet at home. We can run the a/c and not have problems when the converter/charger cycles on. The initial surge on startup is much lower after it goes through the learning cycle.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8 'Bert'
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser 'The Bus' (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 10:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I found the Micro-air makes the start up of the compressor much quieter- no big thump as it kicks on.
Old 06-11-2024, 10:49 AM   #10
Maxine-A

2019 25' International
Tacoma , Washington
MicroAir

MicroAir Bluetooth from Hutch Mountain. Installation was an adventure, mainly due to my vision and lighting I did not see the capacitor. Hutch Mountain technicians assisted me in getting it right. The second AC was a breeze as there is a learning curve. The Bluetooth unit gives you the ability to monitor your power use. Cheers, ....J
Silver Ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 01:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
One thing I wonder though, with the Micro Air and it's ability to learn, do you think if I switched to the Micro Air it would enable me to start the AC with the Honda on Eco mode?

You might want to try turning off your converter when running the A/C. We have the Micro Air unit and had no trouble running a 13.5 A/C, our residential fridge, and other small items with our propane EU2200i during Houston's derecho power loss, but with the converter circuit breaker to off. And of course low elevation.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 02:39 PM   #12
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
You might want to try turning off your converter when running the A/C. We have the Micro Air unit and had no trouble running a 13.5 A/C, our residential fridge, and other small items with our propane EU2200i during Houston's derecho power loss, but with the converter circuit breaker to off. And of course low elevation.
I had everything off, including the converter
Old 06-11-2024, 05:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
I installed a Micro-Air on our 19-footer.

Installation was not hard the hard part was figuring out what to do. The how-to videos did not match my unit exactly, so I had to do some puzzle work.

Got it installed, though, and it works the AC starts more smoothly.

So far, I've not tried to run the AC off a generator, as I've not had a generator until a few days ago. Now have a Champion 2500 dual fuel ready for a test this weekend.

I have to say I understand why people have these installed, rather than do it themselves. But if you are handy and patient, a doable upgrade.

Better videos would be helpful.

As for the start capacitor (someone asked about it earlier), I removed it.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 08:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Instructions were good enough. The supplied connectors were too small so I used WAGO connectors, which I prefer anyway. Taped the connectors closed. Zip-tied the box to the lower shell.

Hardest part was getting and staying on the roof safely while sweating profusely. Its slippery up there when wet.

I watched the amperage with a clamp meter. Seems highest was 14 amps at startup.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 08:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
Instructions were good enough. The supplied connectors were too small so I used WAGO connectors, which I prefer anyway. Taped the connectors closed.
I did the same WAGOs, with some electrical tape as insurance to keep the WAGOs closed.

Those connectors are great.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 10:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
When I was first looking at the Honda 2000, I had the Champion 3400 Dual Fuel which I also used propane only, and it worked well with my AC. But I do have the EasyStart on my 15000 unit.

My friend had the Honda propane 2000 model from Genconnex and it worked fine in my "experiment"; start run, cycle, stop, start again. So I sold my Champion 3400 (95lbs) and Genconnex sent me the 2200 Honda propane only. I liked their integration of the propane into the unit. It came with 20' hose I ordered and all set for Airstream QD propane connection. Works well, even at 6k feet, but I do have the high altitude screw for the manifold if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda genconex 2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	444250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda Genconnex.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	444251  

Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 10:41 AM   #17
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
When I was first looking at the Honda 2000, I had the Champion 3400 Dual Fuel which I also used propane only, and it worked well with my AC. But I do have the EasyStart on my 15000 unit.

My friend had the Honda propane 2000 model from Genconnex and it worked fine in my "experiment"; start run, cycle, stop, start again. So I sold my Champion 3400 (95lbs) and Genconnex sent me the 2200 Honda propane only. I liked their integration of the propane into the unit. It came with 20' hose I ordered and all set for Airstream QD propane connection. Works well, even at 6k feet, but I do have the high altitude screw for the manifold if needed.
So your 15,000 worked on a Honda 2000 or a 2200?
Old 06-12-2024, 11:31 AM   #18

2023 27' Globetrotter
Edmond , Oklahoma
I’m about to install the MicroAir on my 2023 Globetrotter 27FBT. My concerns are roof access without causing any damage or dents. I’m 6’2” and weigh 290 ish.
Suggestions?
Paul Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 11:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mc View Post
Im about to install the MicroAir on my 2023 Globetrotter 27FBT. My concerns are roof access without causing any damage or dents. Im 62 and weigh 290 ish.
Suggestions?
You will see lines of rivets on the roof. Those are the ribs. Walk and knees on the ribs, although the area immediately around the A/C unit seems pretty well supported too.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 12:16 PM   #20
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mc View Post
I’m about to install the MicroAir on my 2023 Globetrotter 27FBT. My concerns are roof access without causing any damage or dents. I’m 6’2” and weigh 290 ish.
Suggestions?
I'm a big guy too. I made some padded supports to distribute my weight and make it more comfortable to work on the roof. I used 1/4" plywood (or was it 3/8"?) and glued some of those interlocking pads that people put down on workout floors. I used Gorilla spray adhesive and glued the padding onto both sides of the pieces of plywood. It makes a sandwich, plywood in the middle and padding on both sides. If the plywood has a slight natural curve to it like mine you can place that side down. I made 2 and I just move them around where I am working and keep my tools on them as well.

I could go up there without them but this makes it so much more comfortable and I don't have to worry about a cave in.

Disclaimer: I don't have a trailer, it is a MH so my roof may be flatter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pads1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	444255   Click image for larger version

Name:	pads2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	444256