Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
1993 30' Excella
Hillsboro , Texas
Ignitor Carbon, Poor Heat

Was having problems with carbon buildup on the ignitor and with poor heat output. Had to scrape the carbon off the ignitor frequently, and the heat rise was about 60 degrees (should be about 90 degrees). Blower motor was also making noise. Ordered new blower motor and removed furnace to replace it. Here's what I found:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3003.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	763.5 KB
ID:	120562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3004.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	838.9 KB
ID:	120563  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3005.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	840.1 KB
ID:	120564  
linc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I guess you weren't aware of the furnace, heat blocking, 'ceramic disc' option offered for users with their rigs located near the Equator....

I think it's time to look into: here's a typical type...not an endorsement of the parts house...

Save at RV Partscenter - RV Parts and Supply

Installing external screens were one of our first mod's - those *^^$& mud wasps are productive little devils around this neck of the woods...
Old 01-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Im not a big fan of mud wasps.. we have them everywhere and Im constantly finding their handywork.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
I had the exact same thing happen to ours -- I completely rebuilt it and haven't had a issue with it since (it took a little adjustment to get everything balanced). Once thing I did add was a screen to prevent them from entering again.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
1993 30' Excella
Hillsboro , Texas
These little buggers did all this prior to my acquiring this AS. I did add the screens shortly after i bought the unit. Suburban does not suggest using the screens when the furnace is in use, as they feel they reduce air flow. The maker of the screens claims this is not an issue. Make up your own mind!
linc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
We use screens - and inspect every fall before we fire up the furnace. Our 'soot' was burnt Mercam - from the end of the tanks. I think we've about solved that problem - but we'll know soon - temps are going to drop into the 'minus digits'.......which means that the propane will really act different. Oh well - we have to go through February to get to spring - that's how it works!!! We've also got snow, ice, rain, sneet, snain - all that forecasted so it ought to be good for business (autobody/collision).........

jan
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote