Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2006, 07:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
springfield , Illinois
How to Drain A Carrier ?

I recently had a new Carrier Air V installed. I'm afraid I can't tollerate the condensate draining to the outside on my beautifly polished skin.
In looking at past threads it seems that Inland Andy ( and some others) may have had a thread in the past about how to drain these by modifying the unit. But, I cannot seem to find it.
Any picts, tips or words of encouragement will be much appreciated !!!

Thanks,
Andy S.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Drain work

ME TOO!

Carrier low profile on the 66 Caravel. There is a drain fitting that Carrier says all (?) RV centers have available as a regular line item. It does show on the diagram in the book that came with the AC. On the 66, maybe yours too, a line will have to be run to the pan where the fitting will go, then down to the bottom and to a drain point that won't flood the "Party Areas." Routing this line may be a chore. Please keep us advised on your progress...I will too.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
at some point in the mid-60's, the factory started configuring all trailers for future a/c install. (I guess alot of a/c's and that sort of thing were actually dealer-installed options). They ran the wire to the location, and also a drain tube in the walls that terminates just forward of the street-side wheel well.
I'd call a dealer, or maybe even better yet, Jackson Center. they can tell you if your trailer was so equipped.

if it is...its just a matter of finding the thing. you have to take the ceiling panel down and look for the end of the tube that'll be tucked up in there somewhere.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

I think what Andy is referring to is a new Carrier Air V installation on a vintage AS.
The Carrier Air V needs to be modified by removing the external shroud and then removing the internal cover that covers the "Slinger Wheel". After you remove the cover you have to drill a hole at the LOWEST point in the "Slinger Wheel" drip pan. The hole has to go all the way to the inside of the trailer. That means you have to drill through the plastic "Slinger Wheel" drip pan and through the metal underneath the drip pan.
Once you make the hole you have to get a fitting a little smaller than the hole that has O.D. threads on one end and a hose barb connection on the other end.
I also used two O-rings that fit snuggly over the threads of the fitting. One on the inside of the trailer and one on the outside, in the drip pan.
You can pick up a fitting like the one I am talking about at nearly any hardware store. I got mine from a local Ace Hardware. They are plastic and it came with a plastic nut for the threaded portion.
I siliconed, (oh no, the dreaded "s" word here), the fitting into the plastic drip pan and in the bottom inside the trailer.
After all that, I hooked up the drain tube from the trailer to the barbed side of the fitting and used a standard hose clamp to secure it.
This works like a charm. No runs, no drips, no errors!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
How new of a unit do you have? My husband just installed a Carrier Air V & he doesn't think there is enough clearance in the pan to install any kind of tube.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Contact Andy at Inland RV in Carona, CA. for info on installation of Carriers. If it serves me right, they have done some already with the drip pan.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:21 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
springfield , Illinois
Talking

Pattersontoo was kind enough to call me and give me a few pointers. It is a brand new Carrier V so I was a bit hesitant to start drilling without some guidance. He tlked me through the high points- Now I just have to get up there and reconnoiter the situation.
I am pretty sure I grasp the concept now and once I actually see what is what I think it will be straight foreward. Hopefully---

Thanks for all, When I get to it I'll take picts so hopefully others will not wonder.

All the best,
ANdy S
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote