Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-04-2021, 10:50 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 180
How Often Do AC Motors Fail?

Hi,

Well the motor in my 15,000BTU failed a few weeks ago. I searched high and low for a replacement and ZERO nation/world wide!

I had found one at Dometic and they cancelled the order saying it's 5 months back ordered, I finally found one at a funky old RV repair shop and had it sent to me. Next day..the Dometic one showed up!!!!!

So I have two and can send the Dometic one back for a refund...probably minus shipping....OR keep it as a spare!

Dometic says it fits both my ACs....

I'm leaning towards keeping as a spare as this has been a hassle to replace. While Covid caused the delay who's to say it won't become scarce again... Then again perhaps motors last for decades....

Dometic sells via Amazon and had 11 last night and only 3 today....

What say you? Is this shortage an anomololy or does Dometic periodically run out of such parts?

Thanks!

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:51 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 11,985
Hi

Fan motors generally last about as long as compressors on RV A/C units. When the compressor goes, you normally replace the whole thing ( = it's the low cost option ). With both of them (fan and compressor) maintenance , use environment, run time, and line voltages all impact longevity. There's also just luck of the draw in terms of getting a lemon.

In answer to the question, I have gear here that have AC motors from the 1940's and they still are running fine. I still would not count on any part of an A/C unit running for more than 20 years .....it might, but I wouldn't count on it.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
 
Little falls , New York
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 152
Probably can be rebuilt too.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:52 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Probably can be rebuilt too.
Yes!

But not cheap or fast. I called a few small motor repair places and was quoted ~$300! IF the could do it. $65 analysis fee....
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:01 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Fan motors generally last about as long as compressors on RV A/C units. When the compressor goes, you normally replace the whole thing ( = it's the low cost option ). With both of them (fan and compressor) maintenance , use environment, run time, and line voltages all impact longevity. There's also just luck of the draw in terms of getting a lemon.

In answer to the question, I have gear here that have AC motors from the 1940's and they still are running fine. I still would not count on any part of an A/C unit running for more than 20 years .....it might, but I wouldn't count on it.

Bob

Oh yea!

I have used numerous decades of USA MADE motors for years/decades!

The Dometic are cheapo china made.

Dometic makes the warranty impossible if you're using your AS. Make an appt. 2-3 months out. LEAVE your AS there and they will get to it in 10-14 business days. Once diagnosed they submit claim to Dometic who can take 30 days to respond. THEN order parts....Then bring back and let sit for 10-14 business days before it's fixed. It can easily take 5-6 months to get a zero out of pocket warranty repair completed.

This was the time line from several Dometic authorized repair facilities the past couple months....
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 11,985
Hi

The simple answer is that nobody repairs this stuff anymore. If it breaks and it's not a trivial fix, you replace the whole thing.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:19 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
 
Lafitte's Avatar
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 170
?

I think a new a/c would be the ticket.
__________________
I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake ......which I also keep handy
Lafitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:27 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafitte View Post
I think a new a/c would be the ticket.

I considered that but ~$1500 after taxes and the hassle of installing by myself....

Motor looks straight forward to replace.

Thanks!

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:16 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 11,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
I considered that but ~$1500 after taxes and the hassle of installing by myself....

Motor looks straight forward to replace.

Thanks!

Trav
Hi

The common wisdom is that if the fan motor died, the compressor isn't far behind it ....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:14 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member
 
2001 28' Excella
Chattanooga , 37412
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6
Elec Motor

You can store a electric motor for a many years with minimum effort.
Grease shaft with a good quality grease, wrap with cheese cloth,or a cotton rag. Store in dry place and once a year or when you think about it spin the shaft a couple revolutions. A spare is always a good thing with the way things are today.
bgates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:04 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

 
2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Foothill Ranch , California
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 76
But isn't your coach a 2019? Unless you are living in it full time, how many days of operation have the AC's seen? You have a California address, so unless you spend a lot of time where it's super hot (AZ) or hot and humid (East of Rockies) I can't imagine using it all that much...

I'm trying to wrap my head around a three year life expectancy.
Mark of SJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
Hans627's Avatar

 
2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,529
When at the international rally I spoke with someone who worked for Dometic at one time. He said the A/C’s made now are designed to throw away when they fail and are cheaply made. They make hundreds of thousands of these per year and every place they can save a nickel they do!

I mention this because he said, as did others, the cheapest thing to do is replace the entire unit.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,624
Well to answer your question, on average they typically fail less then once each. Many times the rest of the AC fails first.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:52 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The common wisdom is that if the fan motor died, the compressor isn't far behind it ....

Bob

Why? I can see this with an older unit but mines not 2 years old....Mine was running but on its way out due to long start up....
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:01 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post

I mention this because he said, as did others, the cheapest thing to do is replace the entire unit.
Motor $229 Easy to self install

AC $1500 a bit more of an effort and takes special lift or assistance. Pro install would be over $500.

Please explain how this can be even remotely accurate..... Literally $1200 to $1800 MORE but it's cheaper?????
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:58 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
 
Little falls , New York
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 152
…prepping the popcorn…

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
Motor $229 Easy to self install

AC $1500 a bit more of an effort and takes special lift or assistance. Pro install would be over $500.

Please explain how this can be even remotely accurate..... Literally $1200 to $1800 MORE but it's cheaper?????
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Hans627's Avatar

 
2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
Motor $229 Easy to self install

AC $1500 a bit more of an effort and takes special lift or assistance. Pro install would be over $500.

Please explain how this can be even remotely accurate..... Literally $1200 to $1800 MORE but it's cheaper?????
The guy who worked for Dometic must have been referring to the compressor motor and/or other components. Please excuse my ignorance as I obviously misunderstood and stand corrected!

Sorry!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:39 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 11,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
Why? I can see this with an older unit but mines not 2 years old....Mine was running but on its way out due to long start up....
Hi

Mainly because in about 90% of the cases, folks don't get much more time out of the A/C before the compressor dies. Buying a fan motor and then replacing the whole thing after another month of run time .... not a lot of savings.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
 
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Mainly because in about 90% of the cases, folks don't get much more time out of the A/C before the compressor dies. Buying a fan motor and then replacing the whole thing after another month of run time .... not a lot of savings.

Bob
They are separate entities. The compressor is only effected by the spin of the motor. When my motor starts the RPM is consistent and seems top speed.

I could see the life span of each being equal but not in the case of a lemon motor.

My AS has only been on the road 14 months and maybe 6-8 months of AC usage.
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 12:08 PM   #20
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 11,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
They are separate entities. The compressor is only effected by the spin of the motor. When my motor starts the RPM is consistent and seems top speed.

I could see the life span of each being equal but not in the case of a lemon motor.

My AS has only been on the road 14 months and maybe 6-8 months of AC usage.
Hi

There are lots of things that can nuke a motor. The same low voltage / loose wire stuff that takes out the fan motor also takes out the compressor motor.

Again, the "common wisdom" is simply looking at the odds. It's not and never will be a 100% guarantee.... life is never that simple.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cordless Drill Motors jaco Off Topic Forum 32 07-22-2009 09:40 PM
general motors gets creative........finally 2airishuman Off Topic Forum 4 04-04-2006 09:39 PM
General motors/ Chevrolet Vortec motors vajeep Tow Vehicles 10 06-25-2004 07:23 AM
motor home 454 engines (motors) wb13798 Airstream Motorhome Forums 6 01-31-2004 09:26 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.