Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Houghton AC unit

Unboxing the Houghton AC unit today. Sharing pictures of it if any of you are interested in following how it goes.

Somewhat wish I would have gotten the black model but got the white since we’ll be painting it silver like the old unit and the Interstate.

Came in two boxes, remote, bolts, and instructions. Pretty simple. We’ll see how install goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16FD9E7D-ECE8-44FD-8F3D-E991064175CF.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	382013   Click image for larger version

Name:	323A61FD-1C4B-43FF-8AA4-1E524F8E8264.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	382014  

Name:	28B2D4E5-6012-4E65-B4CC-073035944189.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	382015   Click image for larger version

Name:	C8A05B8A-B7E3-4D5F-A70C-A865E78ED491.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	382016  

Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:54 PM   #2
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Following!!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I too am interested. We don't use the AC much and don't plan to replace it just to get lower noise. But if it fails we will consider something that makes less noise.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
You can get these in 120 volts?
Old 10-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Www.recpro.com
Old 10-27-2020, 05:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Chop-chop! This thread is now 5 hours old. We NEED progress pics!!!
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:43 PM   #7
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Is this the unit that can only be bought via ARV, or did you find it elsewhere? Interested for sure, thanks for sharing as you go through the install.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:28 PM   #8

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Is this the unit that can only be bought via ARV, or did you find it elsewhere? Interested for sure, thanks for sharing as you go through the install.
Same one, he found it being sold by another vendor. Already bookmarked!

Several members here that have installed it. Those that I know off got it from ARV... This will be the first one that I see from this other vendor.

I am trying to hold off on ordering until I see the progress photos here...

I can't wait to have a quiet A/C...
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-28-2020, 04:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
You can get these in 120 volts?
+1... can we have a recap of how this thread launched, please? Of how the decision tree led the OP to this point?

The preamble was probably covered in another thread but some of us obviously missed it.

Last time I spoke with ARV, Houghtons could only be installed through them, and they couldn't tell me anything about inrush current. There were a lot of unknowns and my decision tree led to a dead end.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
First off, HE is a SHE...
But now days we don’t get gender specific...

And LB_3, you’re just kicked off...
Kidding...of course.

Trust me, I’m chomping at the bit. If it wasn’t for the darn paint. Our body shops are so behind from the massive wind storm too. I’m going to try to bat an eyelash or two and see if they can’t squeeze it in.

The weather is problem two. Snow in my roof, no go. It is looking up for a bit so we might have a window of opportunity. So ironic to want a quiet AC so bad when it’s below freezing! I might just dawn the snowsuit and a face mask while sitting in the storage garage just to make myself happy. That is, if everything goes as planned!...Yet to be determined...
Old 10-28-2020, 05:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Interblog, Sorry I missed your question.
We are a parts distribution warehouse so I am lucky to have access to RV related items like batteries, freon, ac compressors, paint, wiring, etc. So yes, you are on the right road.

I also live in the land of Winnebago and Featherlite trailers. Supplied many a paint match for a NASCAR trailer. Our shop has seen everything from a Minnie Winnie to massive Provosts. They are well equipped to handle our little Airstream Interstate AC swap. I’m very lucky to have access to good people and have seen some pretty amazing things. The Air Force trailer was one of the most amazing with slides everywhere and I can’t imagine the dollars they stuck into the brains to drive the simulator down below. I sat in Dale Earnhart’s race car in the shop, sweet perks like that.

It’s just easier for me to to do the prep work as I can walk twenty steps from my desk and mix my own paint to go on the AC unit. I don’t talk in depth about my job or place of business because our AI is our fun and I like to keep things light. I’m not out to sell anything, my background is just in the business. Work and business can be so serious, and our business doesn’t leave much room for error. I like to keep the AI on the side of fun, as much as possible.

As far as the Houghton unit, I chose it due to the fact that it’s the unit Advanced RV installs. After touring their booth at the Tampa RV show, it’s clear they don’t mess around. I’ve done some research online, and reached out to one member who gave their approval and high praises. I would have taken the time to speak with them over the phone as they offered, but for one reason I did not. The unit has been on back order like so many things in the US due to COVID. I’d assume production was shut down or the ship was. I got lucky enough to check and they must have just gotten their first shipment back in stock, so I pounced on one.

To me, installing a somewhat unknown unit is there, yet the noise the Dometic puts out is almost unbearable. We all are different, so if you can sleep with the thing running, more power to you. For me, between the generator and the AC unit, I barely sleep a wink. I am touchy when it comes to sounds while I am sleeping though. Just trying to carry on a conversation or listen to the TV, you can almost not do. I’m hoping this unit will solve these problems.

The way I look at it, it’s little over ten stays in an economy hotel (and about three in a premium!), and I’ll sacrifice the cash for the cause. I hope it helps the resale value someday, too. Might not get all our dollars invested back but I’d certainly look hard at an Airstream that is probably 75 percent more quiet than most the others out there. Either way, I hope it works out and that the investment is worth the risk and trouble. I’m a risk taker, you win some and you lose some. I also like to learn about things I’m not knowledgeable about. RV AC units, is not exactly in my wheel house, but all you can do is ask and learn. We’ll see how it turns out and go from there. Wish us luck!
Old 10-28-2020, 05:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post

I get the same thing all the time. I use the term "husband" liberally, but even with that, some forum participants assume we are LGBT+ and I must be bio-male.

Female hetero, gender non-conforming decades before it was considered cool. In fact, in my childhood, I was taken to the doctor for what was, at that time, considered a behavioral abnormality.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:41 AM   #13

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
My mistake... hard to write in gender generic terms or remembering who is who if there was a previous reference to gender that I forgot...

I see your nickname here and I just think about the character Tommy Lee Jones played in Space Cowboys... Hawk...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spacecowboys07.jpg
Views:	1122
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	382067  
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-28-2020, 06:47 AM   #14

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
It’s just easier for me to to do the prep work as I can walk twenty steps from my desk and mix my own paint to go on the AC unit...

As far as the Houghton unit, I chose it due to the fact that it’s the unit Advanced RV installs. After touring their booth at the Tampa RV show, it’s clear they don’t mess around. I’ve done some research online, and reached out to one member who gave their approval and high praises. I would have taken the time to speak with them over the phone as they offered, but for one reason I did not. The unit has been on back order like so many things in the US due to COVID. I’d assume production was shut down or the ship was. I got lucky enough to check and they must have just gotten their first shipment back in stock, so I pounced on one.

To me, installing a somewhat unknown unit is there, yet the noise the Dometic puts out is almost unbearable. We all are different, so if you can sleep with the thing running, more power to you. For me, between the generator and the AC unit, I barely sleep a wink. I am touchy when it comes to sounds while I am sleeping though. Just trying to carry on a conversation or listen to the TV, you can almost not do. I’m hoping this unit will solve these problems.

...We’ll see how it turns out and go from there. Wish us luck!
How cool is that! Having the ability to color match! I can't paint either... tried it once and had to pay double to correct my mistake. Luckily it was just a spoiler and not a complete car

Again, sorry about the mixed up with the gender...

I do look forward to all photos that you can share along the way.

Best of luck!
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-28-2020, 06:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Interblog and Wachuko, it doesn’t bother me at all. I work in a very male dominated industry. It was like a challenge to gain and earn the trust and respect of my customers just because I was one of the only female salespeople a lot of them had ever come across. I’m used to it, and it’s not offensive to me by far. I was down a couple notches being in my early twenties when I started in the business also. No worries at all!

There’s a lot of things in this day that people take offense to, some understandably and some just perplex me. I’ll stay out of the what is appropriate as things have changed so quickly in that arena I would probably stick my foot in my mouth very easily. My intention is to extend respect to everyone, even if my mouth is probably not attached to my head at times. I also have a very dry sense of humor that doesn’t easily come across with the unemotional responses we give in print.

Life is too short, just try to have some fun and take things lightly is my point of view.

If I am compared to Tommy Lee Jones, that’s quite a a complement, although I haven’t seen that movie but now need to!

My name is supposed to be Hawkeye nation referencing the U of Iowa Hawkeyes, but for some reason it wasn’t working right when I tried to input it on the forum, so changed it to Hawk I but again, that didn’t work. Just got frustrated and posted the darn thing...and now it makes no sense! Ack well....
Old 10-28-2020, 07:09 AM   #16
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Houghton AC unit

Will definitely be following your project closely, very interested to see how well it fits in the existing Dometic hole in the roof, your documentation of the wiring since the FAQ indicates they can't be bothered with that kind of thing, whether and how well it works with the existing Dometic thermostat, and since it is described as a heat pump, whether that unit can also throw out some heat when outside temps are high enough for a heat pump to function as such. Assuming all goes reasonably well, then at some point in the near future we would very likely take on this project as well. This is going to be a fascinating project, thanks for taking it on and sharing what you learn!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:13 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Paint plans have been made. Downfall to asking for favors is they fit it in when they have time. We’ll see how quickly they can squeeze us in. I asked if they wanted me to prep the plastic and they said no. Not surprised as it’s easier not to introduce dust by prepping it right on site at the booth.

Not exciting news on the progress front but at least it’s one step closer to the end goal.

The chop chop is in the works. .
Old 11-09-2020, 12:31 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Melbourne Beach , Florida
Got my Houghton AC2400 Heatpump installed. The remote works well but it is IR and not RF. For a while I couldn't figure out why the display on the remote was changing and the AC unit wasn't responding. I finally figured it out, I thought everything nowdays was RF. I also had to use the Thick Roof Kit.
byu2beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Curious what your trailer or RV is as I don’t see it on your profile, byu2beach. Hope it’s not an Interstate just because they were out of the thick roof kit when I order our AC unit, so I had to order it without the thick roof kit. Airstream said I wouldn’t need it, and the supplier was clueless when I asked. Hope that wasn’t a big mistake, but someone will be getting a deal on the one sitting in our garage if so!

Glad you figured out the remote. Not fun to have a unit that isn’t responding but I find myself overlooking simple things like that and going to panic mode too quickly. Not sure why they used IR but glad to hear it works after you got it figured out.

Also curious if you’d share if you did the install yourself or had someone else install your Houghton. There’s some Interstate owners wanting to change out their AC units but not a lot of information out there to make the jump. Any information anyone has to offer on it is very appreciated.

My unit came with the heat pump installed. Will be curious to see how it works as we are not lucky enough to be in Florida but in Iowa. I still think we’ll need our furnace as we like to camp in the fall when it’s a bit below 40 degrees and everything I have read is it works best above 40 degrees.

Just another update, we are at a standstill. Darn COVID has the painter doing double duty as they have employees out of work due to quarantine or illness. Totally understandable though. I’m not going to get pushy at all when it’s a superficial thing and not needed until next summer for us, no matter how excited I am to hear it run, or shall I say, not hear it run!
Old 11-11-2020, 05:05 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Melbourne Beach , Florida
Good Morning,
I can't seem to add pictures but I'll try again later. My coach isn't an Airstream, but the longest and tallest Ford Diesel van. Anyway I'm familiar with replacing Dometic's as I had them on my former Class A. The Houghton uses a different type of mating seal between the AC and the roof of the coach. I used and highly recommend the machined adapter made by Hein at diyvan.com . You might want to speak with Hein to see if you should use the adapter for your application. The adapter gives you a completely flat surface. Anyway, to lift the unit onto the roof, I rented a Sumner 12 ft. lift from Home Depot 142281 then I went inside Home Depot and purchased 2 each 1 1/4 x 60" pipe to put in the ends of the lift forks. I and Joanne set the unit on the end of the now extended forks raised the lift and rolled it to the van at which point I slid it off and onto 2 blocks I had placed front and back of the hole. The blocks were made up of 2 2x4's stacked, each with a srew screwed into the front face so that I could easily pull them out 1 at a time. I lowered the back first and then went around and lowered the front.
byu2beach is offline   Reply With Quote