Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2021, 06:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Brady , TX
Hot Water doesn't last but approximately 4 min

We purchased a 2021 Classic 33ft. The hot water doesn't last but 4-5 minutes. Is this normal? We turned the booster on for showers and we did talk to the tech people at Airstream and they suggested turning the little red switches on the water pump to 5. They are super hard to get to- any other Classic owners with suggestions?
maryfrances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Are you running the water continuously while showering? Generally, the hot water tanks are rather small in an Airstream and won't last long enough for a long shower.

Most people will do more of a 'navy shower' in an Airstream - wet down, turn water off while lathering, then turn water back on to rinse.This also will save water also so your tanks don't fill as fast. We do this unless we have full water and sewer hook-ups then we treat ourselves and take advantage of our insta-hot water heater for a long shower without worry of filling the takes or running out of water!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 12:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Profile says the Airstream is a 2021 33 Classic
That means she has the TANKLESS water heater AND the problem plagued ALDE system. Sadly those of us who have just slightly older units... the technology has changed so much that we can only offer this post to get 2020 and 2021 owners to respond.

"Bleeding Edge" technology. Great in concept, but too new for all but super-geeks to understand.

The upside for you is vented AC and (it is about time!) a rot-proof composite floor! The jury is still out on the electric only refrigerator.

I have a 2012 25" Eddie Bauer, and a wealth of information that will probably be completely obsolete in another 10 to 15 years. Of course my ashes will be sitting in a plastic bag by then.

Now for the MODERATORS
How about a STICKY that advises all new members how important it is to list the year and model of the problem trailer.

BTW- what goes around comes around. In 2005 I was camped in NC when a well loved 13 segment (1950's curve) Airstream pulled in next to me. We instantly started comparing notes. He noticed my water heater was smutting up the side of my trailer, opened it up, diagnosed the problem... showing me the sail switch and all the other components, and adjusted everything to burn cleanly. Then he said, you should keep some wooden matches to light it in the morning.... and I took him inside and showed him the switch I flipped to use the igniter.. He liked it and hoped someone else could show.me how to.fix the igniter. I mentioned that the Classics had electric AND propane water heaters.... new fangled stuff that he half-way wanted, but thought were just more complexity, more problems.
Old 05-31-2021, 12:49 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Basic approach with the Alde system is to enable both full propane and full electric water heaters. Then hit the boost. Wait 10 to 15 minutes watching the water temperature readout. It should level out before 15 minutes. Hop in the shower and as noted above, run as little water as you can.

There are ways you can play with the mix valve to get the water a bit hotter. I don't know that it extends the time you get in the shower though.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 12:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Just wondering. I turned on my kitchen faucet the other day at about 2 PM and was shocked to get very hot out almost instantly. Took me a minute or two to realize that I had 70 feet of new blue hose lying in the sun. Hot! Hot enough to fill the sink and wash dishes, then start using actual tank heated water to rinse them.

Could something like that confuse a tankless heater?

Paula
Old 06-01-2021, 08:16 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Just wondering. I turned on my kitchen faucet the other day at about 2 PM and was shocked to get very hot out almost instantly. Took me a minute or two to realize that I had 70 feet of new blue hose lying in the sun. Hot! Hot enough to fill the sink and wash dishes, then start using actual tank heated water to rinse them.

Could something like that confuse a tankless heater?

Paula
Hi

Any hot water heater will get a bit "confused" if you feed it hot enough water. If you are running off the fresh water tank, the water isn't going to be all that hot, regardless of sun angle. Hose out in the sun (as you noticed) can get quite warm. There are roof mount showers for vans that work that way ...

Bob
Old 06-01-2021, 08:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
You have a tankless water heater. It takes 30-45 seconds to get hot water. The minute you turn off the water, the while cycle starts over again. We set our hot water heater to the desired temp, then run 100% hot water. I have finally mastered the convection oven, and I do prefer it now over the propane oven. My 2021 came with a dual(propane/110v) fridge...which I prefer. NOT a fan of the on demand water heater. Yes it is nice when taking long showers with full hookups...but that’s it! Washing hands, doing dishes...plan on cold water. The other option...take a cold navy shower, then turn on hot to rinse off and warm up.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
2023 Interstate 19
New Braunfels , Texas
Hi Mary,
We have a 2021 Classic 30RB with the same issue. Another member has tried to help us with the same issue and sent me this video to adjust the hot water mixing valve. It was an easy fix, but we haven't taken it back out yet to verify that it worked. We are hopeful that it will, since we were only getting about 1 minute's worth of hot water - not even enough to wash dishes. It's sad that the dealership that prepped this for us didn't verify that the hot water lasted any length of time. Ignore the fact that this guy on this video isn't doing this to an Airstream, but use the method and hopefully it will help.
kaosinacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:56 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Brady , TX
Thank you!
Old 06-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Hot water Alde

On your Alde control, push the far right bottom gear looking button, next screen push the down arrow and keep pushing until you reach setting Installed Accessories. Push the installed accessories and look to see if the Alde Flow has a green check mark in it, if it doesn't select it.

I spent 3 months trying to figure out why I had very limited hot water with doing all the things above threads mentioned. We now have unlimited hot water.

Enjoy your new AS!
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:16 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Brady , TX
Wow, ours was not checked on the panel either! That helped so much- thank you!! Airstream should definitely tell us things like this- seriously ��
Old 06-03-2021, 04:49 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Alde Hot water

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryfrances View Post
Wow, ours was not checked on the panel either! That helped so much- thank you!! Airstream should definitely tell us things like this- seriously ��
Glad that helped. On the same menu you will see (service) if you press that it tells you what your water and glycol temps are.

I may be mistaken but I believe only the Classics have the Alde system in them and some came initially with an older model system that did not have the Alde Flow. I also believe the controls have been changed depending on the year model. I initially was very frustrated with the Alde but now I love it. On mine there is a little yellow flip valve for draining the Alde that its recommended you flip for 10sec or so every week to 10 days to keep and air pocket in the Alde. I did have to add glycol after the first year and the Airstream service at JC sent me a gallon at no charge.

Yes there seems to be a lack of knowledge on the Alde system by dealers and even Airstream techs.

Have fun enjoy your AS.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:00 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryfrances View Post
Hi

Not having the green light checked is a dealer setup issue.

Bob