Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Help removing Atwood 8535 furnace

This thing is broken, possibly toast, and I am trying to remove it to troubleshoot it or find somebody to fix it. I've removed everything I can see that's holding it in and it still won't come out.

If anyone has had experience installing or removing a similar furnace from the top (all the You Tube's are from the side hatch) I would sure appreciate a pointer. I could send you a video of what I've done so far.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2021, 11:05 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Las Vegas , Nevada
Why do you think it's the furnace?
Hannibal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
If you're asking why I think the furnace is broken it's because it starting making a noise that got worse and worse until the last time I turned it on it was screeching.

Last night I finally found the hidden bolt. It was under one of the duct ports which I had to twist off in order to get at it.

I found plastic semi-melted pieces of the blower wheel (or combustion wheel?) inside the unit.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Las Vegas , Nevada
Your diagnosis is incorrect judging from your comments. The plastic is from a broken fan blower wheel. The screeching sound is coming from the small fan blower motor housed inside the blower wheel. You need a new wheel, and fan blower motor. The motor is about $75 and the wheel is inexpensive. I had the same problem and replaced both items about 2 weeks ago. However, I also had to replace a fuse in my fuse box and I needed a new " "electronic board" which is housed alongside the motor. The cost was $200. You can replace the motor and wheel yourself, as well as the fuse and board (if you need a new board). Make certain you "rewire" correctly after replacing the wheel, and motor, then check your fuses. Then see if it works. You may not need a new board. I had a mobile repairman check my wiring and discovered my board needed to be replaced as well as a fuse in my fuse panel. Start with the motor and wheel.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Thanks Hannibal01!

Where'd you get your replacement parts? I think I see them on Amazon?

Also, did you even find any decent videos or documentation to guide you through the replacement procedure? What I am finding on YouTube is, eh, just not good.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:07 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Las Vegas , Nevada
I stopped by a local RV parts store, and they miraculously had the motor, and wheel. If your AS is older, and your local RV parts stores don't have them you'll probably have to order them online. Your local AS dealer probably won't have them. The old wheel may have had a "cap" on the end which is actually a balancer. The replacement wheel you buy is self balanced and does not need or come with the "cap." Youtube has what you need but your can also view the replacement videos for the 8525 model which I have. There are 3 or 4 such videos. They will also help. It's easy, though time consuming. Make certain you mark the wiring so that it is rewired properly. Reread what I said about the board, and fuse. If you've done everything properly, and it still doesn't work you may have other problems. At some point you may require a repairman to check your system. The local AS dealer in Spokane advised me that a new furnace costs in the neighborhood of $900. He did not indicate if that includes labor. Based on what you've indicated you need a new wheel, and motor. Watch the Youtube videos including those relating to the 8525, check everything including the board, and fuses, and if it still isn't working, you'd better seek the services of an experienced repairman ....
Old 09-01-2021, 05:14 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
I've removed the blower wheel. The outside half was completely sheered off.

Now I'm trying to test if the motor is OK but when I turn the thermostat to where it would normally turn on, I just hear a click coming from the circuit board. After that it won't click again until I toggle the reset button. The click sounds and acts like a GFCI reset. Seems like since it was firing up and screeching the last time I tested it something is goofed up with the wiring.

Also, I read that a loose motor housing can lead to these problems. I saw that the lower connection screws were missing and the plastic connection piece was broken off...so I am probably looking at a new housing too...

Thanks for any help, I need it!
Old 09-01-2021, 10:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Las Vegas , Nevada
Can't comment about the "connection piece" which you're referring to that secures the fan blower motor, but as you suggest you may need to replace it. The screeching sound is coming from the fan blower motor. It must be replaced. You may see tiny bits of metal which originated inside that blower motor scattered around the area of the old motor, and wheel. I discussed this matter briefly with the Spokane, Washington AS dealer and he indicated there are no moving parts in the furnace, at least none which could have caused the noticeable sounds you were hearing. They're identical to the sounds I heard coming from my fan blower motor. Forget about the circuit board until you replace the motor, wheel, and check the fuses. If you've replaced these items, rewired correctly, and checked the fuses, and it still doesn't function you can then focus your attention on the circuit board. You may not need to replace it.....
Old 09-02-2021, 06:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Good luck, you're braver than I am.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluda372 View Post
Good luck, you're braver than I am.
LOL, my bravery is fueled by the fact that it's starting to get cold and I can't find anyone to help me!

Thanks again Hannibal, I don't understand why the last time I tested it in place, the motor started up, sounded awful with the screeching, but still ran through it's cycle. After taking out the blower wheel and all the broken plastic, I would just like to hear the motor start up and screech to confirm it's a goner.