Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Have you mounted your own AC unit?

I may have to install a new AC and have questions.

The currently available ceiling distribution panels appear to be flat across the top. Was this a problem, air flow, when installing to the curved ceiling?
Is there a special number for the ceiling panel that would be used if the AC has a heat strip? Are the controls standard within the 2 knobs?

I have asked Airstream and Dometic these and other questions and could not get an answers from Customer Service. They just want to sell a wall thermostat system.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I may have to install a new AC and have questions.

The currently available ceiling distribution panels appear to be flat across the top. Was this a problem, air flow, when installing to the curved ceiling?
Is there a special number for the ceiling panel that would be used if the AC has a heat strip? Are the controls standard within the 2 knobs?

I have asked Airstream and Dometic these and other questions and could not get an answers from Customer Service. They just want to sell a wall thermostat system.
HowieE,
I installed a Dometic in the rear of my 34', a colman low profile in my '63 Overlander and a new style Penguin on a '55. The interior curve didn't cause any issue in any trailer, the panels snugs right up to the ceiling.

Now trying to decode what interior part number is needed to match up with the main unit, well, that's sorcery.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Did you use a drain pan kit when installing on an original Airstream roof pan? Those pans have a collection area connected directly to the drain hose and I don't see why the kit is necessary working from the limited pictures I can find.

I found a vendor on Amazon that had far more knowledge than Airstream or Dometic as far as part number compatibility.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Lewster on these boards may be more help than anyone.

I've removed interior air boxes and find that they have a certain amount of flex which allows them to accommodate the curve of the roof.

I have one of the unnecessarily complicated wall thermostats and wish I just had knobs.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Have you mounted your own AC unit

Quote:
Did you use a drain pan kit when installing on an original Airstream roof pan? Those pans have a collection area connected directly to the drain hose and I don't see why the kit is necessary working from the limited pictures I can find.

I found a vendor on Amazon that had far more knowledge than Airstream or Dometic as far as part number compatibility.

On my '91 when I installed the rear AC I used the plastic drain pan, kinda fragile and fiddly. The last one I installed I used the 'drain cups' and it was much better. It needs a second gasket to slightly raise the unit so the cups clear the roof. I think the cup kit came with the extra gasket. The unit was a 15000 btu heat pump and has a wall mounted thermostat and also controls the furnace. Really slick. I was able to fish the wires thru the ceiling into a cabinet and down to a location on the wall.

I will probably have to replace my original front AC on my '91 soon, low speed doesn't work anymore and it's got a habit of eating start and run caps. I'll consider a heat pump with the external thermostat when I do.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Not sure if my experience would interest you since I installed a Coleman instead of a Dometic. Used a heat strip and a condensate pump kit. Had to do a little fiddling to be happy with the intersection of the curved roof and flat AC, but I'm happy with the results. Relevant blog posts are here, presented in reverse chronological order: http://thegreatleys.com/?category=Mach+8+Cub+AC+Install
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
I paid someone to install a new A/C on mine. I would have spent person days and weeks on it and still would never done nearly as good of a job as the person that did it for me not to mention that I don't have the scaffolding to get above it and the equipment to properly lift and locate an A/C unit on top. And - I figured that I only get one chance on a project like this. As a rule of thumb it is the cost of the unit X 2 for the unit installed. Mine was extra work due to the original being an Armstrong unit and those of you that have dealt with that know that there is significant extra labor for metal work, trim work, and reinforcement for a new A/C but once that's done the future units should be much more straightforward.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
Not sure if my experience would interest you since I installed a Coleman instead of a Dometic. Used a heat strip and a condensate pump kit. Had to do a little fiddling to be happy with the intersection of the curved roof and flat AC, but I'm happy with the results. Relevant blog posts are here, presented in reverse chronological order: http://thegreatleys.com/?category=Mach+8+Cub+AC+Install
Has that heat strip worked out for you? I found that on my Dometic, it just blocked the air flow and didn't give out much heat. Worthless!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Ambassador
2014 27' FB Classic
Port Townsend , Washington
I installed a Penguin unit on my '79 Ambassador. Used the drip pan that I ordered from a dealer in Kansas City. At the time I did the project (probably 14 years ago) there weren't many places to get the drip pan.

The project was a bit of a pain because the original unit was a beast to get off. Needed to modify the opening for the Penguin. You may not have to deal with any of that.

As for the curve inside, my unit was not a wide body so the curve was pretty good and did cause an issue. Tightening the cover up to the curve caused the vents to not pivot correctly and the foam filter covers would pop off because the latches would not engage correctly. Eventually is also caused some cracks in the cover. If I did it again, I would make plastic curved shim pieces to add on to the cover to allow the cover to be flat but seal up the open areas the curve creates.
rdepas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
After a day of phone calls and extensive searching on the net things are coming together.

Neither Airstream or Dometic customer service were of any help. There was no knowledge of the subject what so ever.

I will be install a Penguin AC, with the drain kit and no Airstream roof pan if I can't find a control board for my old unit. Thanks to knowledgeable help from Camper Paradise in Charlotte, NC.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Have ro researched the new Dometic Blizzard NXT?
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
Has that heat strip worked out for you? I found that on my Dometic, it just blocked the air flow and didn't give out much heat. Worthless!
So far it's been great. My expectations were pretty low since it's designed to be a "chill chaser" and not a primary source of heat. It doesn't blow hot, but if you let it run for a while, it does gradually warm up the coach. When I had the interior skin out, I was working in a short sleeve t-shirt very comfortably with 20 degrees outside and the heat strip running. Now that have insulation, I expect it will work even better.

I also have a wood stove, so I'm not depending on the heat strip exclusively.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:20 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
ROSWELL , Georgia
Quote:
After a day of phone calls and extensive searching on the net things are coming together.

Neither Airstream or Dometic customer service were of any help. There was no knowledge of the subject what so ever.

I will be install a Penguin AC, with the drain kit and no Airstream roof pan if I can't find a control board for my old unit. Thanks to knowledgeable help from Camper Paradise in Charlotte, NC.
I just 3 weeks ago,installed a new Penquin from CamperParadise,and found the sales guy knew about installing the unit correctly,drain cups for the A/S,two gaskets and the new 2- knob faceplate.Dometic customer service was useless,as was A/S for info( only would give A/S part numbers).The 2 knob faceplate is too cheaply made to withstand the strip heater.It also doesn't fit the inside contour,even if you use all the side screws to attach,the ends still won't pull the inside metal up flush.Poor re-design as every part is made cheaper and less value.I wish I had bought and reworked the A/S to fit the Coleman.
Mike & Nancy Gore WBCCI #2914 S E Camping Unit 012 Roswell,Ga.
mikesSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesSE View Post
The 2 knob faceplate is too cheaply made to withstand the strip heater.It also doesn't fit the inside contour,even if you use all the side screws to attach,the ends still won't pull the inside metal up flush.Poor re-design as every part is made cheaper and less value.I wish I had bought and reworked the A/S to fit the Coleman.
Mike

Who's ceiling box did you use? Dometic makes two for the Penguin, one that will support the heater and one that will not.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:40 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
This past Saturday, I installed a Coleman-mach 8 Polar Cub on the roof my '67 Caravel. Prior to installing, I pulled interior ceiling skin and ran a condensate drain tube from ceiling to street side access panel. Parked by pickup truck within inches from the Caravel and two of us plopped the a/c unit on the roof and had it in position in under 5 minutes. Have not hooked up the a/c unit yet, and only snugged it down half way for weather protection. Received about 2" of rain last night and not a drop in the coach.

I just hope I can get the ceiling panels back on with the weight on the roof pushing down. Might have to jack up the unit a bit to get the skins back in place. We will see. I also installed a condensate pump and heating element.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Did you have framing between the inner and outer skins? A friend installed a unit on is older Argosy and had to put wood between the skins to keep them apart when tightening down.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
Yep, wood blocking/frame installed
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Yes, you have to add something for the support frame to bite down on. I used 1" square aluminum tube. Most folks use wood.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:07 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
We installed a Coleman Mach three on our 66 Tradewind this summer. We ordered the ac, the drain and the interior ceiling control panel from Amazon. This is the drain set up we ordered. It's made for a dometic penguin but will work with the Coleman Mach 3. Dometic 3107688.016 Drain Kit
Sold by: American RV Company $61.73. It required some simple modifications but appears to be functioning well. The two drain cups attach under the bottom of the unit, before attaching these we used a forstner bit 5/8" by hand to make two small holes through the bottom gasket which was attached to the unit in order to run the tubes through it instead of cutting the gasket. The drain kit included a 14" square gasket and two extra strips of gaskets. We glued The 14" one to the gasket that was already attached to the ac. This gives the drain cups room to clear the top of the camper. The other two strips were added to the back edge of the ac to level it up. The two tubes went to a tee which attached to our existing drain hose. Did not seal the cups so if the hose gets stopped up they will overflow on the outside of the trailer. tightened it down on the roof to the white indicators on the gasket. Not too difficult. The ceiling assembly was 9430d715. The heat coil was item 9233-4551.
hippiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:29 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
ROSWELL , Georgia
Quote:
Mike

Who's ceiling box did you use? Dometic makes two for the Penguin, one that will support the heater and one that will not.
Domestics 3314851.000 ,the only 2 knob control box listed for the Penquin 2 model 61429592; 13,500 unit.The only other ceiling box,had no knobs,but used a wall thermostat.That one had an optional heat strip.
Mike & Nancy Gore WBCCI #2914 S E Camping Unit 012 Roswell,Ga.
mikesSE is offline   Reply With Quote