Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2023, 10:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Flying Cloud
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
GE Roof Units Annoying Hum When Thermostat OFF

Hi Everyone!

Brand new 2024 FC30RB. When both thermostats are OFF and we're on shore power, the two GE roof units produce an annoying hum you can hear through the return vents. When you turn off the breaker for either fan, the sound goes away for that unit; breaker on and it comes back.

Does anyone else have this hum with the GE units? Is this something I need the dealer to check?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2023, 06:15 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
GE air conditioners have a small transformer, and what you are hearing is the 60 cycle hum from it.
Old 12-09-2023, 08:45 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
GE air conditioners have a small transformer, and what you are hearing is the 60 cycle hum from it.
Crossing GE air conditioners off the list of replacement options!

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 09:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Thanks for reporting ftelliott, this would be a no-go for me. I hate things that make extraneous noise, especially when at rest.

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 08:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
I’d be on the phone to GE tech support and isolating that somehow how annoying. How did that get through field testing?
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 12:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2024 27' International
Noblesville , Indiana
We have a 2024 International 27FB with 2 GE units. Ours have been silent up until 2 days ago when the main unit had a hum noise when on heat pump setting. It was cold enough that it should have been calling for heat, but the icon was flashing and there was an F1 being displayed, alternating between the temp being displayed.

I read in the manual for the thermostat/control that the flashing icon means the heat pump is in defrost mode. My wife found a reference to the F1 being a fault code for the circuit board. I let it go and in about 30 min to and hour, it started running again with no problems. And again, silent when it gets to the set temp. Maybe it was just in defrost mode and then returned to normal?

It was 39* outside so well above the 25* that it will shut off due to cold temp.

The front unit has been used very little but have never had a noise from that one unless it's running and providing heat.
Old 12-13-2023, 02:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
It means those GE units are still drawing power even when “off”.

What “field testing”..?
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 11:07 AM   #8
Texas Toaster

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Smithville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandB View Post
We have a 2024 International 27FB with 2 GE units. Ours have been silent up until 2 days ago when the main unit had a hum noise when on heat pump setting. It was cold enough that it should have been calling for heat, but the icon was flashing and there was an F1 being displayed, alternating between the temp being displayed.

I read in the manual for the thermostat/control that the flashing icon means the heat pump is in defrost mode. My wife found a reference to the F1 being a fault code for the circuit board. I let it go and in about 30 min to and hour, it started running again with no problems. And again, silent when it gets to the set temp. Maybe it was just in defrost mode and then returned to normal?

It was 39* outside so well above the 25* that it will shut off due to cold temp.

The front unit has been used very little but have never had a noise from that one unless it's running and providing heat.
I have two ac units on my 2019 27 flying cloud. The heat pump freezes up at anything below 40° here in Texas. Have to use the furnace or small electric floor heaters then.
MarkW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 11:28 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2024 27' International
Noblesville , Indiana
To the OP: I guess I overlooked the all caps "OFF" and just thought you meant when it wasn't running. Off means off.
Hope you get this sorted out.
JandB is offline   Reply With Quote