Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Rockmart , Georgia
Gas Detection Unit

I have a 1986 Sovereign 31'....it has a gas detection unit made by Newtec. It is located just inside the entrance door to the left near the floor. It is mounted inside the cabinet (under the gas range where the furnace is). My problem is that the unit starts beeping when it is turned on. I don't know if I have a gas leak or if the detection unit is malfunctioning. I don't know if it is hard wired or not. I have been checking out the furnace lately to make sure it worked, and I also recently switched form one propane tank to the other. I haven't had my Airstream that long and the unit was turned off when I got it and I had left it that way. Guess I wasn't very smart!
Anyway, if anyone out there is familiar with this device and has any ideas I would be appreciative.
Tom.
Sovereign86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
the unit starts beeping when it is turned on.
The detector starts beeping when the range is turned on?
If I'm reading this right, go with what the detector is telling you, you probably have either a propane leak or high carbon monoxide readings - depending on what type of detector you have. Play it safe, have it checked.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Rockmart , Georgia
Fyrzowt.....no, sorry for the confusion...the gas detection unit has been turned off for quite a while, and the unit starts beeping when the unit itself is turned on. There is a little slider type switch (left to off, right to on). The control switch is located very near the floor on the cabinet next to the range just inside the entrance door, which means the unit itself is actually under the range. I haven't turned the range itself on in over a month. Actually the beeping occured with no gas appliances turned on at the time, even though I had fired up the furnace earlier in the day.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Oh, OK - sorry for the confusion.
I'm not specifically familiar with that detector brand. In general - If it is beaping with no appliances on and with the gas off, it either has a low battery voltage problem or a detector defect. If you haven't already done this, make sure all gas appliances are OFF including the LP bottles. Open the door and let it completely ventilate for a while. This will eliminate any of those possible causes. Re-test the detector. If it still sounds I would look at the detector or a low battery voltage condition. Hope this helps, maybe others will have another idea or opinion.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Rockmart , Georgia
Thanks! The LP tank was still on, so I will turn it off and recheck after I let the trailer ventilate.