Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2021, 09:36 PM   #1

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Dugspur , Virginia
Angry Furnace problem

I have an issue with my 2020 FC 25FB twinís furnace. Furnace will run initially after reset. I take ext panel off, Check sail switch with meter, press reset and furnace will fire and run for a couple cycles then shut down. Power off at thermostat, restart, fan comes on but burner never fires or lights. System shuts down. Dearer claims to have replaced limit switch, checked sail and now has no clue. New furnace ordered but no delivery date from Dealer or AS.
Super frustrated. Any suggestions? Willing to tackle anything.
Hobric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:43 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Hobric,

This might shed some light on your research https://myrvworks.com/wp-content/upl...ing-Manual.pdf it has diagnostics on the AF Series of furnaces starting on page 42.

It's a real pay attention to what its doing vs not doing. Other gas appliances fire up OK like the stove burner?

Keep the feedback coming.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:47 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Arkansas
Remover the blower proving (sail) switch and make sure there isnít a piece of lint hanging on it that is keeping it from making contact

I would also unplug the replug all the wires on their terminals.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:10 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Mobile , Georgia
Page 30 of the link that @GCinSC2 posted shows the sequence of operations every direct spark ignitor (dsi) furnace goes through to run. If you follow the sequence and watch/listen to your furnace you should be able to narrow it down. It can only be a couple things.
88Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Its basically a brand new Airstream,and the Airstream dealer has "No clue" how to fix a new furnace.
I wonder how long Airstream "Customer Service" will troll this thread, before they ask for your serial number.
Probably much the same as the last furnace thread , guy in Connecticut, same deal, brand new furnace, after people who were thinking about buying a new Airstream changed their minds, after listening to dealer horror story.
B. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:09 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Hobric,

IF the unit will fire up for a short time again I'd suggest monitoring the hot air outlet temp in the trailer, with a thermometer.

Mine is about 160 F after it runs for a few minutes. If its really high and then shuts off look for debris blocking the return air vents. These are on the furnace box itself and are louvers so look for debris blocking them.

IF this is occurring the system runs hot, hi limit switch does its job and system shuts down. You'll need to explore a bit, pull drawers or open cabinet depending on layout.

I took a look at mine last month and was surprised what managed to fall out of an over full drawer. Hey honey, look what I found!

Just a possible. And we've driven by Dugspur several times in route to VAHH.

Gary
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712
Old 01-20-2021, 07:23 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Monterey , California
Howdy,

I offer that you need to check the sail switch. Take it out and compare to this photo. If it looks like the OLD, replace it.

My furnace would cycle on, perform well, then not. I did have a single blinking light indicating sail switch/ air flow error.

I checked continuity and it was good.

I called Dometic and had a GREAT customer service experience. The gentlemen advised that between 2017-2020 all furnaces of a certain kind (like my 2020 27FBT Globetrotter) have this defective sail switch and itís been a known issue for about a year.

I found one locally and $44 later itís been perfect.

Dometic advised that the new switches are only sold WITH a bracket. If you find one without the bracket, inspect for the recessed area.

Dometic Part Number 33082.

Best!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DBB2290A-F508-47EF-A966-8898BBAAA318.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	613.6 KB
ID:	387264  
Palik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:29 AM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Palik,

Interesting stuff. Model or serial number specific but now looking at what part number(s) were installed, see post 1 would be interesting.

Good additional data, pic adds a lot to comment.

Been watching todays news feed, maybe time to go outside for a while.

Gary
S/OS #001
Old 01-20-2021, 03:41 PM   #9
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobric View Post
I have an issue with my 2020 FC 25FB twinís furnace. Furnace will run initially after reset. I take ext panel off, Check sail switch with meter, press reset and furnace will fire and run for a couple cycles then shut down. Power off at thermostat, restart, fan comes on but burner never fires or lights. System shuts down. Dearer claims to have replaced limit switch, checked sail and now has no clue. New furnace ordered but no delivery date from Dealer or AS.
Super frustrated. Any suggestions? Willing to tackle anything.
Hi Hobric,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 01-21-2021, 06:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi Hobric,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Hey Airstream.Heres the problem.
The Airstream dealer replaced a part, checked some others,and failed to fix the furnace.
Now, the dealer has " No clue" how to fix the basically brand new furnace (2020) this poor guy has.
But, and here's the funny part, they expect him to trust their knowledge of furnaces, and install a brand new furnace.That probably has, or soon will have, the same issue his has now.
I'm sure the Vin number will help this dealer lol
B. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
It would also be useful to hear if there are any fault codes flashing. Your initial description indicates a hard lock out since a reset was required, which would not be a sail switch, thermostat or thermal limit issue. Instead it would be a fail to stay lit or other burner issue.

Would also help to know the sequence of events better. When it runs before failing, does it reach temperature and shut down normally? When it shuts down, is there a fault code, or does it first try to light and then lock out? Etc.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:54 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
The Airstream dealer replaced a part, checked some others,and failed to fix the furnace.
Now, the dealer has " No clue" how to fix the basically brand new furnace (2020) this poor guy has.
But, and here's the funny part, they expect him to trust their knowledge of furnaces, and install a brand new furnace.That probably has, or soon will have, the same issue his has now.
No offense, but why do you troll a thread in a category for which your trailer does not fit, and then add nothing useful? I mean, if you want to suggest fixes then great but if you just want to whine about Airstream then I would respectfully ask that you refrain from commenting. Thank you.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:05 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Mobile , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
At least they reached out. Hopefully something will be done and the OP will have a working furnace next time we hear from them. Unfortunately/fortunately furnaces are fairly simple to work on. It's a shame the dealer couldn't get it fixed. I'd never let one of my techs tell a customer 'we have no clue'. It's all hands on deck at that point, get the manufacturer (suburban) involved (they have a tech support line for situations just like this) etc.
88Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:29 AM   #14

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Dugspur , Virginia
Thanks for all the responses. As there is still no update on when the new furnace will arrive, Iím going to have a go at some of the diagnostic suggestions provided. Itís great to have this forum. Now I have some actions to take.

Iíll post an update when I either I fix it or Airstream does.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:50 AM   #15

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Dugspur , Virginia
As promised, dealership finally came through with new furnace(just in time for spring and summer). The complete new furnace has worked as designed.

So.......the final tally was 4 months to resolve the issue, with 4 trips of 200 miles(RT) ea to the dealership.
Again thanks to all for the responses and help!