Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #1

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Brentwood , California
Furnace making a loud, vibrating sound

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in the AIR Forums. Awesome source of info, if I may say.

We went on our first road trip this past week for 7 solid days. One issue I will address with the dealership is the furnace noise level. I don't remember hearing a loud, vibrating sound when I did the walkthrough. If you had a similar experience, what was the root cause? Did the dealership fix it as part of the warranty?

Appreciate any feedback.

------
Neil S.
2021 25' Flying Cloud
soulman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Topeka , Kansas
Do you have a screen cover on the intake /exhaust vents? Muddaubbers will invade the furnace building nests on moving parts creating a imbalance and vibration. If your RV has sat during the summer months, I'd suspect that may be the issue.
Blues Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
what he said

^
Old 12-03-2020, 05:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
It may be an imbalance in the air handler blower. Perhaps a piece of construction trash is caught in it.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I had a mud wasp build in my A/C squirrel cage blower and when that thing kicked on the whole ceiling shook. I crawled up there, took the shroud off, found the blower wheel, stuck a screwdriver between the fins and busted that mud wasp nest off of there.

problem solved.

I'd surely locate and check the blower wheel on the furnace.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
It may be an imbalance in the air handler blower. Perhaps a piece of construction trash is caught in it.

This seems more likely than mud daubers (had 'em) on the OP's brand new unit.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:43 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Larkspur , California
I also have a 2021 Flying Cloud, 25’ front bedroom and it too had a loud vibration coming from the furnace. I took it back to the dealer and it was a simple fix. They told me that the furnace has some sort of metal box that covers the furnace and that the box wasn’t properly anchored to the floor where it sits and therefore was vibrating when the furnace was on. The technician at the dealership told me that they fixed this by shoving some shims in the space between the bottom of the metal box and the floor where the furnace sits.

While it was a simple fix, the problem was that I had to drive 2.5 hours back to the dealer and wait for them to find the time to fix it. If I had known that it was a quick fix, I would have waited at the dealer for them to do the repair instead of heading home only to have to again make the 5 hour round trip to go pick up my trailer. So you might want to stick around for them to do work, if it turns out to be the same issue with yours.

I will say that so far this is the only problem I’ve encountered with my trailer.
FCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:33 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulman14 View Post
Hello everyone,

We went on our first road trip this past week for 7 solid days. One issue I will address with the dealership is the furnace noise level. I don't remember hearing a loud, vibrating sound when I did the walkthrough. If you had a similar experience, what was the root cause? Did the dealership fix it as part of the warranty?

Appreciate any feedback.

------
Neil S.
2021 25' Flying Cloud
I also have a 25' Flying Cloud FBT and have had furnace issues, just different ones discussed on previous threads. 2021 Flying Cloud furnace issues seem to be a recurring theme.

I did the following to look at my furnace while it was running:
1. Turn off the furnace at the thermostat.
2. Remove the 4 screws that hold in the furnace exhaust pipe and then remove the exhaust pipe and cover (they are one unit). This will take a little finagling so don't get frustrated.
3. Remove the main cover (8 or 10 screws I believe).
4. I then went back in and turned on the thermostat in the furnace mode.
5. Ran back outside and took a video while the unit started up.

If you do not want to remove any exterior covers remove the inside dining cushions on the furnace side. There is an access port (piece of wood that can be lifted up) to the top of the furnace there. You should also be able to view the discharge ducting to the air distribution system. You will need a flashlight to look inside.

According to the local dealership, this did not void the warranty. Hope this helps.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Does the vibration and noise happen as soon as the furnace comes on, or does it start after the furnace has had a few minutes to warm up? The reason I ask is that mine (a 1955 Flying Cloud, but with a new Suburban furnace) has started to vibrate after running for five or ten minutes.
beechbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMike View Post
I also have a 2021 Flying Cloud, 25’ front bedroom and it too had a loud vibration coming from the furnace. I took it back to the dealer and it was a simple fix. They told me that the furnace has some sort of metal box that covers the furnace and that the box wasn’t properly anchored to the floor where it sits and therefore was vibrating when the furnace was on. The technician at the dealership told me that they fixed this by shoving some shims in the space between the bottom of the metal box and the floor where the furnace sits.

While it was a simple fix, the problem was that I had to drive 2.5 hours back to the dealer and wait for them to find the time to fix it. If I had known that it was a quick fix, I would have waited at the dealer for them to do the repair instead of heading home only to have to again make the 5 hour round trip to go pick up my trailer. So you might want to stick around for them to do work, if it turns out to be the same issue with yours.

I will say that so far this is the only problem I’ve encountered with my trailer.
Not with furnace issues but mine was the missing rod from stabilizer under my 2019 FC 19CBB. the AS Service Center in Santa Barbara asked me to leave the AS at their shop, I explained that I camp often and that I do not want to make 2 trips to the shop (2.5 hrs one way), we made a deal that once the shop get the stabilizer, an appointment will be set up and I just bring in the AS and wait about 30 mins for the replacement then tow the AS out of the shop on way home or camping. If the shop values you as a good consumer, they will make arrangement with you so you can wait at the shop for a quick repair(s).

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:30 PM   #11
Dork-Stream

2021 23' Flying Cloud
Elk Grove , California
Similar Problem!

Soulman14. I had a similar problem on my first trip. I took the trailer in for another warranty repair, and they could not replicate the problem with the furnace. I suspect that after reading some other posts that maybe I had cranked the stabilizer jacks a bit too much causing just enough flex in the frame for the furnace box to rattle against the floor as FCMike describes. I have not had it out since, but plan to test that theory next time I’m out. You might try that and see if it makes a difference.
SC23FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:52 AM   #12

1990 29' Excella
Mechanicsville , Maryland
Squirrel Cage Suburban Furnace Blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulman14 View Post
Hello everyone,

Appreciate any feedback.

------
Neil S.
2021 25' Flying Cloud
Have a 1990 Excella. My heater blower began an unusual noise/vibration on a 2 month hunting trip in 2018. I pulled the unit out of the cabinet under the stove and found that the set screw retaining the blower wheel/cage to the blower motor shaft had backed off and allowed the squirrel cage blower to walk down to the end of the shaft and rub against heater casing. Mine was so damaged (in part to my own handling) I had to replace the whole unit. As it was only 9 degrees and snowing out at my southern Colorado location, I did so without a dealer assist...about an hour start to finish once the new unit was on hand. R/Andy Hammond, Capt USN (ret)
Captandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote