Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2023, 02:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Boise , Idaho
Furnace ignition puzzle

I have our ‘23 Caravel 19CB parked at our house and connected to a 30A outlet—I’ve been slow to get around to fully winterizing the unit, so in the interim, I set the furnace to come on when the temp drops below 45.

When I checked it today, I noticed the inside temp was lower, so I checked the propane tank levels, ok but switched it to full tank just to be safe. Reinitialized the thermostat as well. Fan comes on, runs for about 30 seconds and stops. Researching here I saw it might be useful to check the fuse—pulled it, no problem, reseated it and lo and behold, everything started up!

Any idea what gives?

Thanks
Renault4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 04:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Just re-read your post. If it's tempermental, I'd check the sail switch for dust.

Check the furnace reset switch/breaker on the furnace circuit board. You'll have to take the outside cover off the furnace. Turn it off, then on and try a furnace restart. If the furnace doesn't start after toggling the switch, check for a red blinking led on the circuit board, count the flashes for a trouble code.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FurnaceReset.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	439023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace Sail Switch.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	439024  

TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 08:53 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Boise , Idaho
Thanks, will check this and report back for the record.
Old 11-26-2023, 10:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Today's video from Airstreamer "13 Adventures" solves his issues with the furnace, why and how.
Worth watching. I met him at Alumilina, and he and his wife full time in a 27' International, great guy.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 06:32 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Just went through this. We actually had *two* issues. Sail switch was dirty. Fixed that, and furnace worked for a couple days. Then the propane regulator crapped out, and we weren't getting adequate gas pressure (which we were able to test by trying to run all three stove burners on high at the same time). Hopefully one of these sorts you out!
RickBullotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 11:18 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Boise , Idaho
Thanks for the responses and the video link! Armed with this new info I removed the panel, everything looked clean enough so I performed a reset and the igniter fired up. The next morning, it looked like we were back to square one. This time I noticed that the error indicator was flashing once every 3 seconds. I removed the sail switch and used compressed air to clear any dust from the switch and the general surrounding area; reinstalled, reset and everything started up fine and its running now. Note I also checked around for the presence of any insects that might have set up camp, like mud daubers, but again everything seemed clean!

But I’m skeptical it will stay that way! If it works for a while and then not, it’s more likely to be something other than a dud sail switch, but I might try and find a replacement one anyway.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Boise , Idaho
Well, it held for a while, but by this morning it had reverted to familiar behavior; fan will run while it tries to ignite, then stops after 30 to 40 secs. Temps are dropping to the mid 20s at night around here; is it possible that it’s just too cold?
Old 11-28-2023, 02:20 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
We had a similar problem with our home furnace. It turned out that our flame sensor was dirty and covered in soot. I don't have a schematic of the trailer furnace right now, but I'm pretty sure it also has a flame sensor. I would suggest finding this and making sure it's both clean and aligned with the pilot light.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 03:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renault4 View Post
Well, it held for a while, but by this morning it had reverted to familiar behavior; fan will run while it tries to ignite, then stops after 30 to 40 secs. Temps are dropping to the mid 20s at night around here; is it possible that it’s just too cold?
I've been having issues with our 2023 GT furnace. It had no signs of life. No blinking light, nothing. I tried everything and had given up. But thanks to @Mollysdad posting, I watched the video and there's a point where he says the grounding wire has been touchy. So I went out in the 25 deg weather and wiggled the grounding wire and the light came on with the 3 sec delay, then after a reset it started working.(!!!!)

So, IDK did you check the ground wire (black one at the top)? Maybe it's not making a good connection. Otherwise, it should run when it's cold. Also, his camper is new and he had a defective sail switch. Did you try jumping the connectors?
JeffKim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 04:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post
I've been having issues with our 2023 GT furnace. It had no signs of life. No blinking light, nothing. I tried everything and had given up. But thanks to @Mollysdad posting, I watched the video and there's a point where he says the grounding wire has been touchy. So I went out in the 25 deg weather and wiggled the grounding wire and the light came on with the 3 sec delay, then after a reset it started working.(!!!!)

So, IDK did you check the ground wire (black one at the top)? Maybe it's not making a good connection. Otherwise, it should run when it's cold. Also, his camper is new and he had a defective sail switch. Did you try jumping the connectors?
Update: Well... the blower came on and then shuts off after a minute. No light flashing. Didn't seem like the ignitor came on. If I wiggle the wires I can get the blower to come on again, but haven't found any pattern. I might be at the same point as you are. It's better than before, but I'm back to throwing in the towel and fingers are frozen.
JeffKim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 06:30 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post

I did jiggle the connectors to make sure they were home, but I think I will give them a dialectic grease treat, just to be sure. Interestingly, when I returned home from some errands around lunch time, the whole system was running again without any intervention on my part. Now I’m starting to wonder whether that was because it had warmed up over the course of the day….
Old 11-28-2023, 07:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
What MAKE and MODEL Heater is that in the video??? (It would be helpful if “Helpful Videos” were fully informative on such matters….otherwise they can be misleading.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:20 AM   #13
Vintage Only

1966 26' Overlander
Ramona , California
I would replace the sail switch as cleaning is not always effective. I had this experience.

They do often go bad and become intermittent. You can get them off Amazon for about $10. Buy 2!
kenfconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:49 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Lincoln City , Oregon
Fuse

It seems like you may have answered your own question in the original post. Pulled fuse, reseated it and everything started working. These low voltage fuses and connections are susceptible to slight corrosion and not carrying enough current to allow rv systems to work properly.
Genboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 12:43 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Littleton , Colorado
Quote:
I have our ‘23 Caravel 19CB parked at our house and connected to a 30A outlet—I’ve been slow to get around to fully winterizing the unit, so in the interim, I set the furnace to come on when the temp drops below 45.

When I checked it today, I noticed the inside temp was lower, so I checked the propane tank levels, ok but switched it to full tank just to be safe. Reinitialized the thermostat as well. Fan comes on, runs for about 30 seconds and stops. Researching here I saw it might be useful to check the fuse—pulled it, no problem, reseated it and lo and behold, everything started up!

Any idea what gives?

Thanks
I had a similar situation with our 2021 Caravel 20FB but we were winterized. I was running the furnace when the temperature got to -18 degrees. The primary propane tank emptied and the auto switch over valve didn't change to the second full tank. Turns out that valve is only rated to -4!. Furnace would not come on after trying every reset and checking codes. The solution was to reset the Dometic CCC2 thermostat again, however you need to press the mode and zone buttons for a full 50 seconds before releasing them. I had read somewhere on line that said that was the trick and that did it.
Blind Wille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 08:03 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Boise , Idaho
update; I did perform a re-boot of the dometic controller as mentioned--no help! I finally went back in to the panel, added dialectric silicone grease to any connector I could unhook, and removed the sail switch and cleaned it thoroughly. Note the placement of a bird's nest of wires on top of the sail switch location makes for a pain to fully withdraw the switch.

Photo enclosed of the unit

The system is now working as it should and holding temperature overnight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5157.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	439235  
Old 12-03-2023, 11:16 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Furnace ignition

Been through all of this. Are the batteries full? It seems with us, it was the batteries that really ignited the furnace. Filled the water, and wah lah, the furnace ignited.
Old 12-04-2023, 08:56 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Boise , Idaho
Good thought, I will check, I’ve also purchased a replacement switch
Old 12-04-2023, 10:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
I did jiggle the connectors to make sure they were home, but I think I will give them a dialectic grease treat, just to be sure. Interestingly, when I returned home from some errands around lunch time, the whole system was running again without any intervention on my part. Now I’m starting to wonder whether that was because it had warmed up over the course of the day….
I had a similar issue with the furnace on our 2020 FC. It indeed was a bad ground connection between the furnace chassis and the trailer chassis. I simply installed a jumper between the two chassis. Problem solved…. But it was real frustrating finding the root cause of the problem.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote