Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
North Texas , Texas
Furnace fixed, duct questions

Well I fixed the furnace in my 86 sovereign (faulty sail switch) and now have some duct questions:

I have one duct going to the front of the camper (4 inches long) and two ducts going back to the rear. One dumps into the bedroom and the other goes into a plenum box under the closet. The plenum splits into two smaller ducts, one to the bathroom and the other was open allowing it to dump under the closet. (I have no idea why???)

Can I run just one duct to the back with a branch going to the bathroom? Or do I need both going to the back for flow?

Why was there an open port in the plenum box? The duct going to the bathroom was about 5 feet too long and wrapped up under the closet. I have a hunch that the PO did some "on the farm" engineering.
Onawayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just be sure you have the furnace mfr. recommended minimum square inches of duct work cross section to prevent a furnace overheat.

I suspect that the open fitting under the closet used to have a duct running to the water/waste tank area for heated tanks in winter. Look down through into the belly at the plenum and see id there is a loose 2" duct end down there.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
The one split at the end of the line may have been for the tanks down below. Check for a hole through the floor to see if that was the original design.

Lynn
Old 11-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
North Texas , Texas
I have a small duct right below the furnace that I believe is for heating the plumbing stuff. I did not see any duct hose in the open space under the plenum. I thought the same thing, but it really effects the amout of air going to the bathroom.
Onawayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The one below the furnace would only heat the fresh water tank.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote