Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dhe9
furnace again

hello,

had issues with my furnace when turning the thermostat on the blower would start, igniter would click several times then it would shut down. the blower was blowing the flame out and was fixed by replacing a screen that protected the flame. worked for two months but now nothing. i turn the thermostat on and nothing happens, no igniter, no blown fuses nothing. any ideas?

thanks for your time.

david
socal
RETIRED USMC
dhe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Is it a Suburban? Ours is going in Tuesday for different problems, but I'll ask my tech.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhe9 View Post
hello,

had issues with my furnace when turning the thermostat on the blower would start, igniter would click several times then it would shut down. the blower was blowing the flame out and was fixed by replacing a screen that protected the flame. worked for two months but now nothing. i turn the thermostat on and nothing happens, no igniter, no blown fuses nothing. any ideas?

thanks for your time.

david
socal
Have you checked the furnace fuse to determine if it is getting 12VDC power?

Not much will happen there without it.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Is it a Suburban? Ours is going in Tuesday for different problems, but I'll ask my tech.
thanks and please let me know if your tech has any info. i could replace the thermostat but it could be anything. no blown fuses and i get the same results on shore power as i do on 12v.

david
socal
RETIRED USMC
Old 05-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Does the fan come on?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Does the fan come on?
nope, no fan, no igniter, nothing at all happens. strange.

david
socal
RETIRED USMC
Old 05-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You have to check for 12VDC AT THE IGNITER BOARD OF THE FURNACE.

This means that you have to remove the outer cover, or if you don't have a large outer cover, you will need to pull the unit out from inside the trailer. The igniter board should be on the left side of the furnace and comes out by removing the 2 screws that hold it's bracket to the fan housing.

Disconnect the white flat plug, and you will see a red/black or black/white (or similar color pair combo) wire pair. Check these for 12VDC. If it's not there, you aren't getting 12VDC to the furnace and nothing will happen. The 2 blue wires you see are from the thermostat.

If you ARE getting 12VDCV there and the fan will not operate, you probably need a new igniter board. I would replace it with a Dinosaur UIB-S. 3 year warranty and the best on the market!
Old 05-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

thanks lewster, i will check it out. just to make sure i understand, even tho i am hooked up to 110 i still need 12vdc?

david
socal
RETIRED USMC
Old 05-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Absolutely,

Your furnace only uses 12VDC, no 120VAC, or it would never work while you are on the road, parked at a Wal*Mart in Butte, Montana on a c-c-c-c-old October night!

The 12VDC operates the igniter board which activates the blower motor, performs a couple of safety checks, then opens the gas valve and ignites the incoming LP when the thermostat calls for heating. It then shuts the gas valve when the thermostat has been satisfied and lets the blower run for 3 minutes or so to purge out any additional heat or gasses in the combustion chamber.

So no 12VDC.................. NO HEAT!

BTW, I noticed that you have a 19 Bambi. You will have to remove the furnace from inside, under the sink. Pull off the cover and you should see some mounting screws. You will have to disconnect the LP line to remove it to get access to teh board and the incoming wiring.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:44 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

lewster,
thanks for the info, this gives me an idea of what is going on and if i need to take the tin can in to get fixed at least i will be able to sound like i know what is going on.

thanks again.

david
socal
RETIRED USMC