Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
deland , Florida
found an older roof ac unit and can't find any info online help please

so i bartered with a guy the other day and he had a dou therm standard line quick start rooftop ac unit. in working order that he pulled from a old motor home he had. so i hook it up and wha-la it works so that's a good sign. problem is there is no ceiling assembly with it just the 2 knobs to control fan speed and cooling temp. i tried my hardest to look at the model number on the back and i believe it says 54615-245. its very hard to read cause the sun faded most of it out. does anyone on here know anything about the older ac units and if i can just purchase a new dometic ceiling assembly and it should fit?

also how do these mount to the trailer? i cant seem to find any threaded holes that bolts would go through the roof into the unit
Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Hey Jason,
Have you tried PPL motorhomes? They have a ton of parts. If you call Dometic, they should be able to get you pointed in the right direction. If you can, post some pics.
Nice tow rig BTW. I have a 1970 C20 CustomCamper. Green like yours.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
found a older roof ac unit and cant find any info online help please

Greetings 386kustoms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 386kustoms View Post
so i bartered with a guy the other day and he had a dou therm standard line quick start rooftop ac unit. in working order that he pulled from a old motor home he had. so i hook it up and wha-la it works so that's a good sign. problem is there is no ceiling assembly with it just the 2 knobs to control fan speed and cooling temp. i tried my hardest to look at the model number on the back and i believe it says 54615-245. its very hard to read cause the sun faded most of it out. does anyone on here know anything about the older ac units and if i can just purchase a new dometic ceiling assembly and it should fit?

also how do these mount to the trailer? i cant seem to find any threaded holes that bolts would go through the roof into the unit
I am guessing from your profile that the air conditioner is being installed in your Minuet. If the Minuet wasn't previously equipped with an Air Conditioner, have you installed the A/C in a new opening cut the measured distance from the number one roof bow as specified by Airstream? Once the opening is cut, wood blocks should be cut and installed around the perimeter of the new opening. The air conditioner then installs in that opening, and is secured by the clamping force applied by the bolts that connect the interior and exterior units. The roof vent opening in the Minuet is not the designated location for the air conditioner so it is not reinforced, and the electric cable is terminated more than three feet to the rear (according to my notes).

You will likely be face with obtaining the interior shroud via a salvage yard. In all probability, you may be faced with modifying the interior shroud to conform to the curves of your Minuet's roof.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

deland , Florida
first off yes that was my old setup the airstream and 70 chevy pickup wich both have been sold sadly

so yes this is going on my minuet i guess i should change that picture link. i have not done anything yet as i tend to make sure i have every part needed and talk to a few people b4 i cut through my trailer. i will be putting it in the area where my antenna is now and there is a electrical outlet right in that area as well

im really confused on the mounting of it. there is 2 large holes twords the front of the unit maybe 3/4 of a inch wide and two smaller holes twords the rear maybe 1/4 inch wide. i see no other way that this mounts. also under the compressor there is a thready bolt that runs down a few inches (maybe 5 inches) and i cant get the bolt out cause the compressor is in the way. what is this bolt used for. my camera is screwed up at the moment so i can not take pics.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings 386kustoms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 386kustoms View Post
first off yes that was my old setup the airstream and 70 chevy pickup wich both have been sold sadly

so yes this is going on my minuet i guess i should change that picture link. i have not done anything yet as i tend to make sure i have every part needed and talk to a few people b4 i cut through my trailer. i will be putting it in the area where my antenna is now and there is a electrical outlet right in that area as well

im really confused on the mounting of it. there is 2 large holes twords the front of the unit maybe 3/4 of a inch wide and two smaller holes twords the rear maybe 1/4 inch wide. i see no other way that this mounts. also under the compressor there is a thready bolt that runs down a few inches (maybe 5 inches) and i cant get the bolt out cause the compressor is in the way. what is this bolt used for. my camera is screwed up at the moment so i can not take pics.
I would be very hesitant regarding your proposed placement of the air conditioner. Assuming that your Minuet has the optional factory air conditioner preparation package, you have a separate dedicated circuit for the air conditioner with the wiring terminated in a junction box found in the ceiling in the vicinity of the kitchen sink. When the opening is cut in this location, you know that necessary reinforcement is already present as is the dedicated electrical service and the condesate drain hose if the chosen air conditioner can make use of that utility.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: When my air conditioner was installed in the factory recommended location it increased my hitch weight by 17 pounds and is very close to being over the axle.
AIR #827
Old 05-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings 386kustoms!

I have been surfing the web and have run across some information regarding some of the older Dometic Roof Air units . . . hopefully one of these links may prove to be of some assistance:While none of the above directly address the number that you posted, it is possible that one may shed some light on the various mounting components for your unit.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 05-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

deland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings 386kustoms!

I have been surfing the web and have run across some information regarding some of the older Dometic Roof Air units . . . hopefully one of these links may prove to be of some assistance:While none of the above directly address the number that you posted, it is possible that one may shed some light on the various mounting components for your unit.

Kevin
the first link is very simular to what i have. only issue is i do not have the 4 threaded parts for the mounting bolts to go to. im going to get a camera from my buddies and take some pictures. since you seem to have a idea of what im talking about can you pm me yroue email address so i can send you some pics