Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2016, 05:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Burnaby , British Columbia
First Time AC roof install on 66 Tradewinds - questions

Hi All! I'm a virgin when it comes to AC - coming from the Pacific Northwest, we don't have much need of it. However, I'm spending a lot of time in Southern California these days, and boy it gets warm!

My trailer has never had AC installed - and I'm crossing my fingers as to whether it is pre-wired. PO did a lot of changes to the trailer so I worry he may have played with it, if in fact it did exist. The original breaker box is in place - is there a place to check for wiring there?

My thought at this point is to buy a Rooftop unit direct discharge-13000 btu and install it in the middle vent hole 14" x 14". There is some wiring there for the original roof fan, so I'm hoping that if I do not have the original AC wiring, either the fan wiring will work or I can use it to fish heavier gauge. I only have 30 amp power. Is this enough for an AC unit?

I am a little vague on most points ha-ha. I know I need a drain hose - hoping I can run it to the fridge vent on the outside of the trailer and down the inside from there. I am unsure of how much drain water I can reasonably expect. Does the drip hose just drain onto the ground or do I need to plumb it into my grey water system?

If I have a drain hose for a rooftop unit, do I need a drain pan as well?

Is 13k enough or should i go to 15000 BTU?

Can anyone recommend a unit, that is low profile and reliable?

I will probably need to have it professionally installed. Any guesstimates on how many hours this will take a pro to do?

Camping World installation - yes or no?

Is it likely I will need to reinforce the roof during installation?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me in figuring this all out!

Happy Trails!
maggieevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Burnaby , British Columbia
bumping - help please!
maggieevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:08 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I doubt the circuit is big enough to handle an A/C unit. I added a separate breaker box and ran a dedicated wire through upper cabinets, then drilled & grommetted wire in the ceiling to hide it. I use a Dometic Penguin 13,500 unit on my 26' over lander,& it works well in Oklahoma.
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Sounds like putting in an ac would be a new experience for you. Im not saying you cant do it, but for a first time install you will probably appreciate letting the pros handle it. Find a reputable rv repair place and let them do it. Many nuances with that that they will have the experience, tools, and work arounds to get it done. Truly in my opinion its some of the best money you can spend on labor. As for being prewired or drainage issues, give it to the shop and let them create the solution which will be done right and probably much better than you could do. And I can assure you the headaches will be less severe. All you have to do is write the check. Good luck.

A few things I just picked up on in your post.

Drainage typically will be routed to a drain pipe or hose that penetrates the floor and just free drips under the trailer.

Yes you will want a drain pan under the unit on the roof to collect and rout the runn off into the drain hose/pipe assembly. You can opt for the unit to drain onto the roof of the trailer and then trickle down the outside of the trailer but minerals in the water will leave track marks on the skin.

Yes the present cut out would probably be a good choice but without knowing your layout another location might be better. The pros can do it either way. Yes they will need to build some internal bracing for the weight of the unit. You will not see this.

As for labor, this is strictly a ballpark on my part as I have forgotten the cost for mine, but I should think soewhere in the neighborhood of 500 plus the cost of the unit.

Hope that better answered some of your questions. And ye you can run the AC with a 30 amp set up.
Alcoa Roller is offline   Reply With Quote