Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Tuscola , Texas
faint buzz coming from suburban furnace

I installed a new suburban furnace NT-20 this week and I was able to fire it up last night for the first time on battery power. I let it run for about 5 minutes and it worked great. I decided to go out there this morning to check the duct work and make sure it was all connected and in good condition. I plugged in my trailer to 120v and then went inside to fire up the furnace and now it won't work. No blower, no nothin. When i click the thermostat on, the furnace has a very faint buzz or humming noise. I checked my fuses and everything else in the trailer is working. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
saburkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

The furnace runs on 12v, so it's possible that you ran down the battery yesterday and there is now insufficient voltage to start the furnace. If you leave the battery on charge for a while it may solve the problem. The converter will be charging the battery, but that may not be enough also to run the furnace. I'd try that first.
Nick.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Tuscola , Texas
I smacked it and it came on. I have to do this every time it cycles off. Do you think this is an electrical problem or a blower problem?
Old 03-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Electrical, but which part? The high limit cutout could do this and a "smack" clear the contacts. Suburban high limit switches commonly have that issue but usually on older units, not brand new ones like you have. The circuit board or connections to it could do that. However there are a lot of possibilities with the circuit board and components on it.

The sail switch would not cause it to not run at all, only not light, so you can rule that part out.

I would check all of your connections again, making sure the thermostat wires are well spliced, as well as the 12 volt input and the GROUND. Grounds are commonly an under investigated source of problems. The "faint buzz" you originally had still sounds like some contact is not good, and there is a high resistance in the 12 volt circuit.

Then, pull the plug to the circuit board and slide it back on several times, to clean the contacts.

The fan motor could be defective, I guess, and that could also cause the "faint buzz". A smack to the case might get it started, but not real likely.

If it is still not working right, call Suburban for help, as it is a new unit.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I'd bet there is a relay that controls the blower. It may have a bad connection, especially if it is a plug in type. But you say every time it shuts down you have to smack it to get it to restart?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Tuscola , Texas
I'm going to redo my electrical connections with some better connectors, or maybe even solder them and see if that makes things better.