Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2023, 05:36 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Did some more digging for info and found one issue so far. Using a surge softening device located at the pedestal will place inverter (if you have one) in the middle between power source and load. Apparently an inline inverter is not happy with this and will shutdown at the leading edge of a ramping up A/C load.
You don't run an inverter though when you're on shore power...
RickBullotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 06:01 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Did some more digging for info and found one issue so far. Using a surge softening device located at the pedestal will place inverter (if you have one) in the middle between power source and load. Apparently an inline inverter is not happy with this and will shutdown at the leading edge of a ramping up A/C load.
I can appreciate the concern with potential impacts on other devices but why would one have the inverter turned on if you also have a generator running?
Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:16 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
EZ alternative to adding soft-start to AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBullotta View Post
You don't run an inverter though when you're on shore power...

The Victron Multiplus 3000, a popular inverter, has a useful assist mode. If shore power is less than the the trailer full electrical demand, it will draw from the batteries to source additional 115V current. So for example when on 30A shore service, when two ACs or an AC and microwave turn on, the Multiplus can provide a short-term 50A equivalent service.
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
It seems to me that some illogical thinking has crept into the conversation regarding this “soft start” device and an inverter shutting down due to that soft-start in-rush current:

First of all…an Inverter does not take IN alternating current. It’s source current is DC….which it “inverts” into Alternating Current…. AC.

Therefore, I doubt an on-board inverter will be affected by this soft-start device.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:38 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
These devices aren’t, however, capacitors. They are microprocessor controlled waveform modifiers.
Okay, above my pay grade. I'll stay old school until all the players (microwave etc) agree to the same ideas for power. Often ideas get on shelves quickly and consumers become the testers. Don't know if this is the case with this device. Concept seems like a good one.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:44 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete B55 View Post
The Victron Multiplus 3000, a popular inverter, has a useful assist mode. If shore power is less than the the trailer full electrical demand, it will draw from the batteries to source additional 115V current. So for example when on 30A shore service, when two ACs or an AC and microwave turn on, the Multiplus can provide a short-term 50A equivalent service.
This looks like what I read. The statement stated something like "tries to pick up the load".
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:23 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
EZ alternative to adding soft-start to AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
It seems to me that some illogical thinking has crept into the conversation regarding this “soft start” device and an inverter shutting down due to that soft-start in-rush current:

First of all…an Inverter does not take IN alternating current. It’s source current is DC….which it “inverts” into Alternating Current…. AC.

Therefore, I doubt an on-board inverter will be affected by this soft-start device.

I think this is a valid point. An inverter is not a real issue. However, Anytime you have a situation of limited power and reactive loads, active power factor correction devices become useful whether they are whole trailer devices like what the OP wrote about or Micro-Air type devices that are located at the appliance. The difference that I see is that local devices provide greater capability- these devices go through a learning mode to adjust themselves specifically for the attached appliance startup draw and reactive power factor - and ultimately provide for longer life of the appliance. The “whole trailer” device doesn’t have the same opportunity to learn and optimize because it is handling multiple power loads that vary depending on what and when you turn something on in the trailer.

Again, with limited power source this is better than nothing, but not as optimal as a local device.
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:39 AM   #28

Washington , Illinois
Yes, There is an app you download and it tells you the current draw
Underdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:45 AM   #29
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
My impression is that the more 'universal' a product tries to be the less it actually helps in the specific products.

Having a surge protector built into this plug-in device is good, but that's a far cry from what a device like a true EMS will do such as low-voltage protection, etc.

My money is on getting devices specific to the problem at hand.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 12:44 PM   #30
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
Thinking it would be a magnet for thieves.
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote