Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2007, 04:57 AM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Duo Therm AC drip pan

Anyone install one of these?

I have a new 15K unit, it doesn't look like it has any kind of drip provision.

I have a tube in the opening for a drip.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:58 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
What model is it? IIRC, only the Penguin has the drain tube, the rest either allow the conedsation to run down the side of the trailer, or sling it into the condensor, evaporating most of it, but hte excess still will run down the side of the trailer.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Bob,

If you remove the shroud, is the cover over the evaporator (front section) plastic? If so, remove the hold-down screws and pop off the black plastic cover and it will give you access to the plastic drip pan under the evaporator. Most of the water is collected here. You can add a plastic hose fitting and bond it in to be water-proof and then connect your drain hose to that........OR................

you can order a Dometic drip pan from an Airstream dealer that will effectively do the same thing. They use these pans on all of the newer A/S units.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Joelton , Tennessee
There is a company in Fla that sells a thing called
"Van PAN" i BELIEVE THE HAVE A WED SITE UNDER THAT
NAME
Fred Lieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Thanks for the responses. I have managed to salvadge my old without damaging the original one when I installed the new unit. works fine now.
It also saved me $90
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Bob,

If you remove the shroud, is the cover over the evaporator (front section) plastic? If so, remove the hold-down screws and pop off the black plastic cover and it will give you access to the plastic drip pan under the evaporator. Most of the water is collected here. You can add a plastic hose fitting and bond it in to be water-proof and then connect your drain hose to that........OR................

you can order a Dometic drip pan from an Airstream dealer that will effectively do the same thing. They use these pans on all of the newer A/S units.
Great, I need to look at that, perhaps I'll take a pic if I need more info.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Ok, took a good look at it, not to easy to make something up.

So I called DuoTherm guess what?

They just came out with a AIRSTREAM drip kit.

It's not even in the dealers books yet, the part # 310 7688.016 $47 list price.

I ordered it, see how it hooks in about a week.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:19 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
Ok, took a good look at it, not to easy to make something up.

So I called DuoTherm guess what?

They just came out with a AIRSTREAM drip kit.

It's not even in the dealers books yet, the part # 310 7688.016 $47 list price.

I ordered it, see how it hooks in about a week.
Thats a hell of alot better than paying $90 plus the $10 handling fee from AS.
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:13 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

tallahassee , Florida
My two year old Dometic ac is steadily dripping out of the grill, onto the floor. Also water beads along the seam that runs lengthwise through the trailer, causing it to drip all the way into the (rear) bedroom. Camping World seems to be saying this is normal but I don't think so!! No sane body would put up with having their floor ruined by this dripping water. So I'm thinking, a drip pan? Then where does the water go? We're in FL, living in the airstream, with high humidity and high temps. Anybody else having this problem??
brooksandkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Has it always done this, or is it a new problem?

It's possible the drain hose has become blocked, or the drip pan has plugged up with dirt. Easy fix if you can get to the drain hose and clean it out.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksandkay
My two year old Dometic ac is steadily dripping out of the grill, onto the floor. Also water beads along the seam that runs lengthwise through the trailer, causing it to drip all the way into the (rear) bedroom. Camping World seems to be saying this is normal but I don't think so!! No sane body would put up with having their floor ruined by this dripping water. So I'm thinking, a drip pan? Then where does the water go? We're in FL, living in the airstream, with high humidity and high temps. Anybody else having this problem??
You have to be really careful in high humidity areas like FL. If our drain hose and fittings are Ok (not blocked, as markdoane has stated), then you might be getting evaporator freeze-up or an over production of condensate from the evaporator. This happens when you leave a door or window open and the moist air is allowed to enter the trailer.

Some entry/exit thru the door is normal, but you should be very careful about leaving the door open or any length of time. You also might have an air leak in the evaporator section that is, in effect, causing the moist warm exerior air to mix with the cooler air from the A/C, causing it to work harder to remove he moisture from the air.

If you remove the shroud, there should be a metal box surrounding the evaporator section at the front of the A/C unit New units are sealed with a plastic covering....much better). Get some aluminum tape from the Home Depot duct section and cover and seal all of the seams in this box. It should help, along with being VERY careful about leaving doors and windows open.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:31 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

tallahassee , Florida
Thanks guys. According to the tech at Camping World, there are Dometic ACs made especially for airstream that has a drain tube, and others that do not. We only have one drain tube and we assume that it is for the refridgerator. We have taken off the shroud, and found a nice clean unit, and maybe found where water is supposed to drain to, but the only tube-like connection I've found is darned inaccessible, from the outside or the inside... It consists of a pvc elbow, and goes off to places I can't see.
I don't think there is a drip pan. There seems to be one little section of the bottom plate where water drains (it has a hole in it, and water is seen running into it), but that doesn't seem to line up with the pvc elbow.
I've taken off the cover inside and can't tell from there, either.
Today a (shade tree) rv repair shop person told us the problem was with running the fan on low. He said to run the fan on high or it wouldn't evaporate the water. We are trying that now. Wish us luck! 'Cause it is HOT outside! And very humid. And now I'm starting to wonder if warm air is getting in around the old window seals...
KW
brooksandkay is offline   Reply With Quote