Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Dual AC question for ya'll.

We have the dual AC's in our unit and I'm wondering a few things. When do you guys use both AC's? I'm finding even in the Florida heat and humidity, the one (15,000) seems to do just fine. What would an application be where you would use both? How about running the 13.5 instead of the 15? Would you do that? When? Both units have soft starts, I'm not sure how it would matter here, but I threw that in anyway. Also, lets say I'm hooked up to 50A......Then also 30A. If you would, gimme all the scenarios. Thanks.
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:15 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
I use both when my wife tells me to.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
When it's desirable:
1. Faster cool down when first parked.
2. Run the bedroom unit when sitting in the living area for reduced noise.
3. Run the living area unit when in the bedroom for reduced noise.
4. Always good to have a backup.
5. Makes camping in AZ, FL, TX, UT in August survivable.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:29 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The combination of high heat and high humidity (both in the 90's) is a big issue in terms of A/C. Toss in being out in full sun and very little wind .... yikes.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The combination of high heat and high humidity (both in the 90's) is a big issue in terms of A/C. Toss in being out in full sun and very little wind .... yikes.

Bob
Especially if you are one of the people that insists anything over 70* inside the trailer is too hot. Seriously it makes a big difference what temp you consider comfortable. If you don't mind 78* other then a quick cool down you might not ever use both at the same time.
As far as on 30 amp with soft starts you can run both, IF you make sure just about nothing else in the trailer is using 120 volt.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
When it's desirable:
Yup!
Old 06-26-2021, 07:23 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
The second AC unit is highly desirable on those hot days when you pull into a campground and the trailer is just roasting inside. Two units will cool the interior much faster than a single unit ever could. Then there are those days when it's hot, really hot and a single AC unit is struggling to bring temps down to 80° F, many of us have been there, and you can't get comfortable. The second AC unit will bring the temps down another 10° if you have a second unit and the power to run it.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:43 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
As far as on 30 amp with soft starts you can run both, IF you make sure just about nothing else in the trailer is using 120 volt.
Hi

Been there / done that. The EMS readout claimed that 32A was being pulled at the time. That's not a good thing on a 30A circuit.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:34 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1992 26' Land Yacht
Wickes , Arkansas
Quote:
When it's desirable:

I could not have said it any better. Been doing this for years!!
Arkansas Razorback Airstream Club
Squairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
That’s sound about right.
Silverminer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:06 AM   #11
UnklJoe

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
I bought a never-used 2015 28FC with a single A/C unit (30A trailer). I try to avoid FL, TX, GA, AL and MS in the summertime no matter what and I camp primarily in the Western US. My A/C unit does very well as long as the humidity isn't too bad; one trip a couple of years ago through a OK camping next to a large reservoir was a struggle. But, I bought a small box fan to use to help circulate the air in the trailer and it works magic.
Now, I will say that my AS has the ducted A/C and I think that makes a very large difference, but, without it I would think a small box fan would be required for a single 13.5 A/C unit in a hot environment.
I camped once outside of Spearfish, SD, during Bike Week, and it was 100 deg F outside for a couple of days--and I didn't have the box fan and it was damn difficult to keep the inside temp down to 80 deg F--and we had to run it day and night. We don't have extra awnings (which I'd like to have!) which I think would help a lot if there's a lack of shade.
But, again, the ducted AC is GREAT--one of the best things AS has done (and now with the new subfloor--well, things are really looking up). The white roof helps a lot, too, I think. (We were going to put solar panels on the roof, flexible ones--but opted against that. Now considering portable panels which can be moved to "follow the sun" any time of the year, and are not affected by a shady (desirable) campsite.
Anyway, ducted makes a big difference, in my personal opinion. If you're successful using only one A/C unit--that's great! Thank the ducted AC for a large part of that success!
UnklJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Mollysdad for 4

Quote:
When it's desirable:
Couldn't agree more.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzo View Post
We have the dual AC's in our unit and I'm wondering a few things. When do you guys use both AC's?

1) Typically after traveling for the day in 90-100 degree temps. The 2 AC's will get the trailer comfortable a lot faster. You'll appreciate that after setting up in the heat and can cool-off inside.

I'm finding even in the Florida heat and humidity, the one (15,000) seems to do just fine. What would an application be where you would use both?

2) See #1, among other times. You will know when and appreciate the fact you have both.

How about running the 13.5 instead of the 15? Would you do that? When?

3) Yes, quite often, will switch between the single units (the 13.5 & 15K) when using the area that it is not over, front when in back, etc. Mostly for noise abatement.

Both units have soft starts, I'm not sure how it would matter here, but I threw that in anyway. Also, lets say I'm hooked up to 50A......Then also 30A. If you would, gimme all the scenarios. Thanks.
4) The soft starts have a lot of benefits but most are installed to be used with a 2K or 2.2K (or similar) small generators. Some say it will allow using both with only 30 amp service but that is not as straight forward as it seems. The answer, for me anyway is; it depends. On paper it works. On a questionable RV park 30 amp service I've had it cause a low voltage fault with my PD-EMS.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:35 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
Our summer vacation plans just ended abruptly when our single AC failed on the road and no service centers would return my calls.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:02 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
N. Richland Hills , Texas
Quote:
We have the dual AC's in our unit and I'm wondering a few things. When do you guys use both AC's? I'm finding even in the Florida heat and humidity, the one (15,000) seems to do just fine. What would an application be where you would use both? How about running the 13.5 instead of the 15? Would you do that? When? Both units have soft starts, I'm not sure how it would matter here, but I threw that in anyway. Also, lets say I'm hooked up to 50A......Then also 30A. If you would, gimme all the scenarios. Thanks.
We live in Texas where the summers are hot and the winters can be cold, therefore when we totally rebuilt our 1976 30' Airstream we installed one 14,000 BTU heat pump in the rear, one in the front next to the electric fireplace, and replaced the original roof mounted AC in the kitchen. This has worked very well for us.

Generally the front unit runs when sitting around the 8 person banquette table in the front, while the rear unit is cycled on for sleeping. The center kitchen unit is used when cooking and preparing meals. On very hot/cold days all three run to quickly reach/maintain comfortable temperatures. Its not uncommon for the bedroom to be 60 degrees on the hottest summer days, while our friends in their much more expensive RVs are struggling to get their cabins below 90 degrees.

Camping needs to be enjoyable and comfortable.
T2Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:56 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
Quote:
When it's desirable:
Exactly: 2. Run the bedroom unit when sitting in the living area for reduced noise.

However, even 2 did not do the job in Phoenix in JUL, temp about 114+
Since we vacated in the day and it was windy, could not leave awnings open, thus lost their benefit. With cooling evening, could sleep there.
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:16 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Napa , California
15 vs 13.5 areas in AS?

Which unit is which area in airstream?. 15k is lounge or bedroom then 13.5k is the other area. Can I run just one AC unit if only hooked to 30 amp at campground? (That’s in event I don’t bring the 50 amp cord). If so which zone should be selected? Thanks
RMYull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:19 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
When it's desirable:
Nailed it... +1
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Fresno , California
Quote:
I have a 31 foot classic and I just returned from St George Utah and it was 113 degrees. I ran both units all day and they finally cycled at night. I tried just the rear unit and it would not do the job by itself. When it is that hot, I turn both on and after an hour or so, I try with just the front 15K unit and see if it stays comfortable. It boils down to trial and error to see what works for you
bon4rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:29 AM   #20
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia

Lately, the list occasionally includes many more locations like Oregon, Idaho and Washington in June and July.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote