Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Dometic Penguin stuck blower motor

Mine will do this from lack of use, especially when sitting long periods in wet weather.

While I'm not sure all of these air conditioners are prone to this condition, I have learned to exercise mine monthly to keep the motor free.

The solution, if stuck, is relatively easy. Try a couple quick attempts at "fan only" and don't hold the power on to a stuck motor. If a few very brief attempts fail to free the fan, go on roof, remove shroud, and spin the squirrel cage by hand.

On mine I suspect it is dirt and corrosion locking up the squirrel cage blower or the motor's armature. Once free and spun around a few times by hand, the bearing is silky smooth.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You should be able to get to the squirrel cage from inside the trailer. Simply remove the 4 phillips screws holding the lower cover to the base, the cover should drop off, and you can get to the squirrel cage without climbing the roof.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
At least on mine removing those screws didn't free the lower cover. Maybe it was the controls and wiring? Or ducting. I gave up quickly on this, because I didn't know what I was getting into.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
At least on mine removing those screws didn't free the lower cover. Maybe it was the controls and wiring? Or ducting. I gave up quickly on this, because I didn't know what I was getting into.
If you don't have the remote thermostat, it takes a bit more effort. I'll try to remember to snap a couple of photos for guidance, but it's still easier to unplug than climb. Especially for those of us that have trouble climbing for one reason or another.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Mine doesn't have the remote thermostat. So the only hangup is in removing the controls on both sides (function control and thermostat)? Mine also has the resistance heat strip. No ducting or issues like that?

Thanks.

Tags
blower, dometic