Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2021, 12:02 AM   #1

1971 25' Caravanner
Sebastian , FL
Exclamation Dometic Penguin ii Strange Smell when switching from HEAT PUMP TO cooling mode

Anyone have and resolved this smell issue ?

The weather here in FL has been whacky, hot one day and then cold. I turned my heat pump on my brand new this year dometic penguin two.

There was a brief funny smell but then it went away. I figured since it was new it must be some kind of burn off from factory chemicals. So i ran the heat pump for several days. No issue. But just now the weather is getting warmer. So I switched back over to cooling mode. Same smell but stronger so I immediately turned it off.

Itís like a chemical plasticy pungent smell. Not necessarily burning but very toxic smell. It burns my eyes. I have yet to get on the roof to takeoff the shroud. I have a microair soft start installed.

So far underneath inside the air distribution box looks fine. And everything looks fine on the roof without me taking the shroud off yet. I just donít know what it could be. It happened once before when I turned on just the fan after the heat pump had been on but went away after a few minutes.

Any thoughts what this could be?
pamelajoy47 is offline   Reply With Quote