Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2021, 03:32 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Angry Dometic Penguin II: common issue - loud rattling

Hi all,

Just sharing an experience with two brand new Dometic Penguin II AC units. Upon turning on the AC I heard a very very loud metallic rattling coming from the AC.

As I was without a ladder I called a mobile RV repair guy and we realized the fan inside the AC unit came loose. We tightened a small bolt that holds the round fan unit in place and two weeks later the same thing happened again, on both units.

We used thread lock this time but I don' understand why such a large piece is held in place only by one single bolt - without any further safety mechanism. The first RV repair guy told me he is getting so many calls about this issue.

I have uploaded two videos, one from inside so that you can hear the noise. The second one showing the root of the problem.

Video from inside: https://imgur.com/cc3hhki
Video of the faulty unit: https://imgur.com/s7fQRc6

I thought it might be helpful for others as the sound it makes is absolutely scary. I also informed Airstream's customer care team.

Best,
S
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:18 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Sumterville , Florida
We are currently traveling with only one unit operable. Just before leaving we got the rattling sound. It turns out two fan motor bolts were very loose. The resulting vibration caused the third mount to break. Replacement motor and fan are a special order item.
SVTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:35 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Where exactly was the bolt? Mine is making a noise nowhere near that bad but I'd like to get at it before it does.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
From the video, it looks like what is coming loose is the set screw that holds the fan onto the fan motor shaft, correct?
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:37 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Dry Branch , Georgia
fan blade loose

Most fan blades are held on by two set screws 90 degrees from one another.
Your fan looks to be more loose than normal may have worn the hole larger.
It should not slide so easily with set screws loose.
Hopefully it will hold this time.
Buckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:50 AM   #6

2021 22' Caravel
Austin , Texas
We just finished our first trip FC 23ft. I noticed our AC from outside way louder than both of our neighbors(both AS).

Also at night when the AC was running We had a pretty good rattle.

We we got home I cleaned up the coach and climbed up to inspect the AC unit and found a extremely loose motor mount bolt.(see attached picture)

After I tightened the motor mount the AC ran smoothly and quietly.

Is this a know AS issue??

Second - Part my Brother-in-law also just returned from a trip. I told him about my issue and he said he had an AC doing the same.

I went over and we climbed up and inspected his AC and one of his bolts were completely out. This fix was only a two beer job.
JMHATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Thatís pretty bad. I just replaced my motor due to excessive shaft movement. I changed over both fan assemblies and positioned both on the shaft to not cause any contact with housing. I tightened the single set screw on each as tight as I could get it. Hope I donít have your problem. It sounds like someone didnít tighten them during assembly. Also I would make sure the set screw is tightened on the flat part of the shaft.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:40 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Yep, seems like this issue is very common. I am glad I turned the ACs off right away and hopefully it didnt damage anything else.

The bolt can be accessed through that little hole that you can see on the top of the fan unit, you need a long screwdriver to fix it.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Farmville , Virginia
Mud Dobbers

Check to see if mud daubers have built a nest in your two squirrel fans. That will throw the fan out of balance, and the ensuing vibrations will rattle bolts loose.
HoffmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:28 PM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffmanP View Post
Check to see if mud daubers have built a nest in your two squirrel fans. That will throw the fan out of balance, and the ensuing vibrations will rattle bolts loose.
YEP, every Spring.

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
Yep, seems like this issue is very common. I am glad I turned the ACs off right away and hopefully it didnt damage anything else.

The bolt can be accessed through that little hole that you can see on the top of the fan unit, you need a long screwdriver to fix it.
Not sure about your's but mine uses standard setscrews that I had to use a long allen wrench, I think 1/8". Again, one needs to ensure it is tightened on the flat part of the shaft.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:46 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
STAMFORD , Connecticut
I had this problem, climbed up, removed the cowling, and found that the squirrel cage/wheel was/is held in place by self-tapping screws that set into rubber vibration damping mounts.

I was astonished that they were self-tapping screws and not nuts and bolts with some threadlock and/or lock washers. I found one of the self-tapping screws in the base of the AC unit, screwed it back in, and checked the others, problem solved.

But, again, another example of poor design and quality control in the RV industry. I have three AC units on my boat (from the same company, Cruisair/Dometic), and they are built better.
Justinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote