Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2018, 07:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
1971 31' Sovereign
Orlando , Florida
Dometic Penguin II AC Performance Issues ?

Hey Kids!

I've had my purchased new Penguin II 15K + Heat Pump for almost 2 years.

Here is what I've noticed:

- Virtually all cool air exits from the side and rear vents. Virtually zero exists forward. This results in a 10 degree temperature differential from the front of my camper to the rear. I purchased a 12v fan to move the air forward.

- It will shut off, prior to reaching the set temp (usually when I'm sleeping in the middle of the night) I wake up warm, turn the Unit off, wait a few moments, and turn it back on, and then it restarts.

I called Dometic, who were pretty nice on the phone and they looked for a shroud to see if they could help in some way, but the lady didn't have one to look at so told me to bring it in for service since it's still under warranty. Of course, that is a pain in the butt, to hitch up, etc.

Any thoughts or advice. from the crew??

Thanks - Brek

2018: 7500 miles: FL to Co
2019: 7500 miles: FL to Co
GuitarmanFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I bet it has to do with the installation of ceiling mounted interior air flow distributor thingy. There's eight screws (plus or minus) that attach it to the ceiling. Between it and the roof mounted AC there's a stretchy plastic gasket that was probably not carefully attached, and now bunched up and blocking your forward air flow. This is an easy thing to check and correct.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
1971 31' Sovereign
Orlando , Florida
Thanks for replying -

I removed the interior shroud, and no, there is no gasket, nor other material blocking the forward movement of air. Looking at the cylindrical fan mechanism, it's nearest the rear of the shroud, and it appears that it's easiest for it to exit towards the side and rear, unfortunately. I have seen other posts about this same issue, so I'm curious to think it was a poor design. Seem like a huge miss for me coming from a family of engineers, so I'm holding out hope there is something that may be done...

Have a good one,

Brek

Old 12-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Yours is a puzzle. I'm in my camper now, looking at the shroud. With every vent open most cold air (hot air now from the heat pump) is vented directly down. I'm left wondering if your shroud was somehow installed forward of it's ideal location.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
1971 31' Sovereign
Orlando , Florida
Hi kscherzi:

I get why that would make sense, but the shroud can only be installed according to the instructions as far as I can tell as it's the only way the mounting holes align.

Mine has a slide mechanism that allows heat/cold directed downward, additionally it has a hard plastic "flap" on all four sides that open and close, to allow for directing airflow north, south, east and west.

I'll take another look at it, because it just is too weird.

Thanks for your comments.

B