Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Question Dometic Duo-Therm "Cool Cat" heat pump/AC unit??

I read recently on a Bubble restoration page about this heat pump/AC unit by Dometic. I found information about the unit on a 1997 online RV news release. The unit seems perfect for what I hope to do (add AC to the Bambi II without putting it on the roof). I do not want to lose my one and only roof vent for when I do not have electricity...the roof vents act like great chineys releasing the hot air.

This is the description on that restoration website: "Dometic, Duo Therm "Cool Cat" heat pump providing heat and air conditioning. It is a 12,000 BTU unit and does a good job in this 16 ft unit. The round discharge vent holes can be adjusted to direct air in multiple directions, a very desirable feature."

I am wondering if anyone else has used this unit, knows if they are still made/available and if anyone knows where I can get one? I did e-mail Dometic Friday evening, but am sure they will not respond until at least Monday.

Thanks! Ben
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #2

1964 19' Globetrotter
clio , Michigan
Cool Cat heat pump/air conditioner

Ben, I've been wondering the same thing. I see that Coachman have been putting them in their new Shasta Trailers. I would really like to find out if they are available for other trailers. I have a 1964 Globetrotter and cannot add any height to my trailer for storage purposes. In addition to that I want to keep it looking original. Did you find out anything since you posted on Aug.7, 2010 ? Thanks Dave
dbarker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Thumbs up Still available

Good Morning Dave,

According to Dometic's online Customer Support Center, the Cool Cat DuoTherm is still available. Here are some responses:

"Yes they still make this particular model. I have provided a manual for you to take a look at. I believe there is a heat pump model as well as a standard AC model. Let us know if you have any more questions."

"You can not purchase a complete product directly from Dometic. If this unit is not stocked at Camping World they should be able to order it in for you or you can contact another dealer in your area to purchase this from. We do not have access to the dealers inventory however if they do not stock this product they can order it. To locate a dealer near you please go to Welcome to eDometic and use the dealer/service center locator tool. Thank you."

I have not since the last reply called my dealers, but I know that Camping World does not show it on their website. I plan to go to a local dealer to see if they can order it for me and check pricing. Seems the perfect solution for just what we need...no overhead clearance problems and original look. Thanks! I will let you know if I hear anything else.

Ben
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
_

. , .
old thread that may be useful...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...a-c-24009.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...alk-15697.html

the ac used by a/s in the basecamp models was mounted at floor level (under the lp tanks) and could work too.

they may have a few of these lay'n round the plant somewhere.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #5

1964 19' Globetrotter
clio , Michigan
Non roof ac unit

Ben,
I'm hoping to be able to replace my floor furnace which is already vented outside with a Cool Cat or something else that might be available. Hope to hear from you. Dave
dbarker7 is offline   Reply With Quote